_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Logs on Shermans
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 3,098 posts
Armorama: 1,236 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2020 - 08:19 AM UTC
Hi there. Quick question as I am in need of some reference assistance please. Does anyone have a good reference source that shows how Sherman tank crews attached the logs to the sides of the tanks for additional armor? I have seen in different pictures that rope, chain and cable was used. What I cannot find are any close-up detailed photos showing what they used for anchor points to tie, clip, hook the rope, chain, cable, etc. to.

Any and all help would be much appreciated.

Thank you all,
Randy
barnslayer
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 102 posts
Armorama: 102 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2020 - 08:31 AM UTC
This Sherman has them tied on with rope.

americanpanzer
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 542 posts
Armorama: 539 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2020 - 08:42 AM UTC
I concur; most photos I've seen show the logs secured with rope.
pbennett
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 464 posts
Armorama: 412 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2020 - 09:48 AM UTC
Randy,

Good question. I imagine the logs would have been tethered to any suitable point along the hull top … bearing in mind that they would have been very heavy. You may recall the M4A3E8 that featured in the Brad Pitt movie, 'Fury'. This particular vehicle belongs to the Bovington Tank Museum in the UK. Studying photos of the tank, I notice that the logs are secured with ropes attached to a pair of semi-circular rings on the edge of the hull top. From what I gather, these attachment points were not standard fittings, so would have been welded on specifically to support such a load.

Paul
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 3,098 posts
Armorama: 1,236 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2020 - 10:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I notice that the logs are secured with ropes attached to a pair of semi-circular rings on the edge of the hull top. From what I gather, these attachment points were not standard fittings, so would have been welded on specifically to support such a load.

Thank you Paul. I was wondering if the crews had done that. I might make something like that for my kit. I did come across this picture showing that the logs have been attached to the hull lifting rings. I might consider doing that as well.

Thank you for the replies and assistance guys, I appreciate it.

Thanks,
Randy
 _GOTOTOP