_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Magach 2C
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,696 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 02, 2020 - 03:59 AM UTC
Recently finished (really!) as part of the IDF campaign, my Magach 2C, from leftovers: Tamiya hull w/ Monogram engine deck, Dragon turret and most of the running gear, and some scratch.
IMG_1313 by Russel Baer, on Flickr
IMG_1309 by Russel Baer, on Flickr
IMG_1307 by Russel Baer, on Flickr
IMG_1306 by Russel Baer, on Flickr
IMG_1304 by Russel Baer, on Flickr
I know it's not the most accurate, and yes, it would have been easier to have just bought the Dragon kit, but this was fun.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 02, 2020 - 04:23 AM UTC
Very well done! If you still have it, the Monogram cupola is actually more accurate as well.
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 02, 2020 - 04:35 AM UTC
I may have it, but I did some work on the Dragon cupola (check the campaign thread for pics) and I'm kinda happy with it. I also used my last printed MG barrel on this one.
And thanks, it looks good in the case between the M48A3 Mod B I did years ago and the Magach 5 I just finished.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 02, 2020 - 04:44 AM UTC
Ah. I haven't been following that forum. I'll go check it out. For the unwashed, the Monogram hatch comes with the extra viewport. Undoubtedly easier than the fine job Russel did,
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 05, 2020 - 01:55 AM UTC
Thanks Robert. I looked at the Monogram leftovers, and I apparently tossed the cupola, probably since I wanted the details on the Dragon part, and possibly because I'm something of a glutton for punishment and thought it would be more fun to modify the Dragon hatch.
GTDeath13
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 921 posts
Armorama: 919 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 05, 2020 - 05:00 AM UTC
Looking good. The blue on the clear parts looks a bit too much but that is to each one's personnal taste.

Also look for Pazer Aces series canvas color, it is the best for IDF vehicle canvas parts and stowage.
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 07, 2020 - 11:33 AM UTC
I still am trying different ways of painting periscope lenses, haven't found something I really like. And by gosh, I was looking at the selection of PA bottles, pulled out "canvas" and thought, that would look better on the mantlet cover, so I may yet do that, thanks.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 07, 2020 - 01:20 PM UTC
Looking really good. For old style, non-coated optics, I start with a coat of black, then a couple coats of clear green, then finish it off with a couple coats of clear gloss. I think this replicates the thick glass that takes on a green tint well.
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2020 - 01:41 AM UTC
I like that Gino, as soon as I get to someplace to stock up on supplies, I'll look for the "clear" colors and some gloss. Right now I'm using a dark blue with a thin coat of Testor's "window maker", basically a PVA glue, to get a gloss.
GTDeath13
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 921 posts
Armorama: 919 posts
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2020 - 02:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I still am trying different ways of painting periscope lenses, haven't found something I really like. And by gosh, I was looking at the selection of PA bottles, pulled out "canvas" and thought, that would look better on the mantlet cover, so I may yet do that, thanks.

There are many panzer aces series colors that are ideal for painting stowage, canvas, blankets and so on.

For the clear parts you can also use "clear smoke"over soem greenish grey or so, if you experiment a bit with clear greens, clear smoke, silver, green, blue green etc you might find a way that suits you to do clear parts.

Test some clear green over the blue you used or some smoke.
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2020 - 12:14 PM UTC
Good idea, I'll look at what's available when I get back in town in a couple of weeks. We're taking advantage of my enforced free time and setting the trailer up at the beach, take some real time off.
 _GOTOTOP