_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Antennas on AFVs
mogdude
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 459 posts
Armorama: 195 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 02, 2020 - 07:56 AM UTC
I have a question I look at umpteen sites for finished models and do not see a large number with antennas (other then the spring mount) the mast part I mean so is it OK to just put on the base ? primarily on modern 1/35 - 1/48
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 02, 2020 - 08:03 AM UTC
Moved from Modeling in General / Robin
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 02, 2020 - 08:06 AM UTC
John,

This might just come down to personal taste; to me, a model of an AFV/Soft skin (fitted for radio) just looks incomplete if the antennae are not installed. Somehow, it seems to make the model come alive, even to look more purposeful if you like. Once the antennae are fitted, its loaded for bear, well, you'll know what I mean.

If you're lucky enough to ever encounter AFVs for real, say on the ranges or an exercise training area, often the first hint you'll get (apart from the rumble of tracks and engine noises) is the image of a load of bristling antennae -all (to me) very evocative.

I appreciate that some who don't fit them may decide not to as God knows they're easily broken, and if you're transporting your cherished model to a show, then why risk it?

But to me, and they're often the very last thing I install, I would say they're almost essential.

Brian
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 02, 2020 - 08:08 AM UTC
Depends on the radio type - can you be a little more specifc? WW2 German radios used different mounts and antennae to UK and US ones, for example.
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 02, 2020 - 08:35 AM UTC
Hi;

I Have to Agree with Brian; It most likely comes down to personal taste, and it can come down to which type of vehicle were talking about. All of my Model's in my collection have antennas mounted; If you use the kit's antennas and they are plastic, they are easy to break. I always use Piano Wire or other type's of wire to use as my antennas ! You just have to Drill out the ant; base; and use A Pin Vise to drill out the hole !

CHEERS; MIKE.
phil2015
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 502 posts
Armorama: 325 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 02, 2020 - 08:47 AM UTC

On a related note. Are antennas painted? I'm going to put two on the StuG I'm working on, but have no idea about what color they should be....

Thanks,
Phil
barnslayer
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 102 posts
Armorama: 102 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 02, 2020 - 08:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

On a related note. Are antennas painted? I'm going to put two on the StuG I'm working on, but have no idea about what color they should be....

Thanks,
Phil

These seem to be painted, though showing signs of wear. My guess is they're all painted same as the tank/vehicle.

grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 02, 2020 - 01:42 PM UTC
Hi;

Generally No !! most ants; are most often left in there factory finish, which can range from Black, OD Green, Tan depending on the type of equipment ! The antenna in the pic; probably has A coat of Dust on its length !

CHEERS; MIKE.
barnslayer
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 02, 2020 - 02:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi;

Generally No !! most ants; are most often left in there factory finish, which can range from Black, OD Green, Tan depending on the type of equipment ! The antenna in the pic; probably has A coat of Dust on its length !

CHEERS; MIKE.

Okay although those colors approximate most tank colors anyway.
That's contemporary equipment I'm guessing. But what about WW2 antennas?

Either way... don't paint them silver...right?
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 02, 2020 - 03:34 PM UTC
Hi;

I would Think that most WW-II ant; would be made of Metal as Germany most would be either Panzer Grey or A Dark metal color of some sort. I should think it would be o.k. and paint them with A dark Color and weather to your own taste !! Finding Good reference period photo's of WW-II vehicles would be A problem !

GOOD LUCK; MIKE.
2CAVTrooper
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 310 posts
Armorama: 302 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 02, 2020 - 05:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks,
Phil

These seem to be painted, though showing signs of wear. My guess is they're all painted same as the tank/vehicle.

Those large green antennas are only found on tanks "in the box" at the National Training Center (NTC). The tank has the I-MILES gear fitted.
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 02, 2020 - 05:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Those large green antennas are only found on tanks "in the box" at the National Training Center (NTC). The tank has the I-MILES gear fitted.

Not correct. These are Comrod Model 3088. I`ve seen them many times here in Germany on Strykers and M1A2.
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 02, 2020 - 07:44 PM UTC
In WW2, German antennae were painted in the prevailing vehicle colour when supplied by the component manufacturer.

British ones were (at least the post-war examples I have seen) deep bronze green.

In the field, some units painted stripes on them to break up the shape but you’d need to look at photographs to assess how appropriate that is for your project.
ArtyG37B
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 420 posts
Armorama: 416 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 03, 2020 - 03:55 AM UTC
Honestly it's space dependent whether I install the antennas or not.
I have only so much vertical room.
mshackleton
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 559 posts
Armorama: 517 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 03, 2020 - 04:09 AM UTC
Antennae - These important parts of any AFV's equipment are often completely neglected by nearly all kit manufacturers. For those of you who would rather not fill antenna mounts with random lengths of wire or stretched sprue, what do you do?

Here is our answer. These turned brass aerials are literally the topping on the cake you have just completed. Why spoil the hours and hours of work you have just spent? Your model deserves the best.

http://leopardclub.ca/workshop/#aerials
barnslayer
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 03, 2020 - 04:54 AM UTC
I found these. Doesn't answer the paint question. For WW2 I'd use the same color as the vehicle.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/aber-r25-us-antenna-and-brackets-set-3-pcs--533113
Removed by original poster on 05/03/20 - 17:29:58 (GMT).
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 03, 2020 - 07:09 AM UTC
I've definitely seen later WW2 German antenna aerials in light color -- leading me to believe they were painted dark yellow like the vehicle itself.

One important thing to know about German WW2 aerials. They were tapered hollow rods -- not the "whip-type" aerials typically used by US/UK vehicles. Basically, don't bend your German aerials. That wouldn't occur IRL.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 03, 2020 - 07:28 AM UTC
I've always liked the ones found on Berlin Centurions - black and white striped.
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 03, 2020 - 07:39 AM UTC
[quote]I've always liked the ones found on Berlin Centurions - black and white striped.[/quote

I think this began in WW2; by painting an antenna thus it breaks up the outline. When I was in the Sultan of Oman's Army I noticed that the Desert Regiment had theirs painted in sand and white;in the heat haze this rendered them invisible.

I found that when I painted this on one of my model Centurions (white over the Bronze Green) then placed it outside in natural light and backed off a few steps it was very hard to see the antennae at all.

Note that British antennae up until the issue of the Bowman system (which I have no experience of at all) the base colour was Bronze Green, although to my mind that's fairly academic in 1:35.

Brian
phil2015
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 502 posts
Armorama: 325 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 03, 2020 - 08:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've definitely seen later WW2 German antenna aerials in light color -- leading me to believe they were painted dark yellow like the vehicle itself.

One important thing to know about German WW2 aerials. They were tapered hollow rods -- not the "whip-type" aerials typically used by US/UK vehicles. Basically, don't bend your German aerials. That wouldn't occur IRL.

Yellow is believable.

Interesting about them not being whip-type. Early in the war it seemed like there was a rail alongside the hull to fold the antenna down into, AND, at the same time, there were antenna deflectors on the main guns (of at least panzer ivs) that I assumed were to push the antenna down as the turret swiveled. Hadn't thought of it before you said that.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 03, 2020 - 09:18 AM UTC
The presence of an antenna on a model (or not) is primarily a technique used to represent use or occupancy. If a vehicle model is to be represented as out in the field, covered in dirt, or otherwise occupied by crew, it probably should have an antenna attached. On the other hand, if it’s intended to be depicted sitting in the motor pool, waiting for the crew to mount it, antennas could be left off. Personally, I feel the best material for representing a miniature antenna is a length of composite-fiber material “rod” from Midwest, commonly used for RC aircraft construction. It’s, light, cuts and sands easily, is difficult to break, paintable, and will give to the point it can be bent almost in a circle, yet stays stiff when released, just like the real thing. But I’ve also used stainless steel wire and stif nylon. Also, don’t forget early vehicles didn’t always have radios, nor did all tanks in some WWII formations have radios, Japanese tanks in particular.
VR, Russ
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 03, 2020 - 09:47 AM UTC
Phil:

And keep in mind that the turret-mounted antenna-deflector bar seen on an earlier-war German Pz. III or IV was insulated... to avoid / prevent grounding that antenna to the tank gun-barrel. Also those III and IV fitted with "Rommel-Kasten" turret boxes usually had a wood deflector bar around those boxes to provide that same service.

The rigid tapered copper tube antenna remained standard German vehicle equipment to the end of WWII. Later-war vehicles abandoned the manual fold-down mechanism (operated by the crew from inside the hull to tip that antenna down into its trough for travel) and that trough and replaced that with a rigid mount usually positioned on the rear deck away from the turret and gun on tanks - or on a mount attached to the rear of the turret. The rods often bent or snapped off when the turret was fully- reversed and the crew had neglected to remove the rod first. While turrets could be rotated 360, Panzer battle doctrine strongly focused on avoiding letting enemy tanks get behind you, so, by doctrine, the antenna was considered to be at "low risk of damage" if it was stuck back at the rear. Later war tanks - specially Panthers, were provided a tubular spare-antenna carrier (that conspicuous tube thingee on the side or back of Panthers), because it was recognized that antenna rods could easily be damaged or lost and spares were thus likely needed.

PS: About the color of these rods: Most appear to be dark in most photos I've seen. As these were produced by electrical device companies (Siemens AG...), I suspect that they came in a standard factory enamel. I've seen dark green and dark grey rods.

Cheers! Bob
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 03, 2020 - 10:40 AM UTC
Not sure what type of “Modern” AFV you’re you’re looking for. Some modern AFVs (circa 1950s-90s) US FM antennas came in two types, those for receiving/transmitting (R/T) which are Fiberglass with embedded copper wire, mounted on a metal/Bakelite insulated spring base and coming in two sections. And the there are those just for receiving, which are sectioned into segments, (I’ve forgotten the exact number— four or five I think), normally mounted on a Bakelite/ceramic and flex rubber antenna base. Perhaps some commo veterans will elaborate further, I’ve forgotten most of my commo classes now, and the last radios I remember much about are the now archaic A/NVRC 46 series and A/NVRC12 series along with the A/NVRC524. I retired in ‘06, but was at a level that I didn’t work much with the newer digital stuff.
VR, Russ
 _GOTOTOP