_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
OK, China Is Out
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2020 - 09:55 AM UTC
Is there any country you can import from these days?
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2020 - 09:58 AM UTC
My favourite plastic pusher got a delivery from China recently but maybe it had been put in a container aboard a ship before everything slowed down.

Depends on what you want to import ...
/ Robin
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2020 - 10:01 AM UTC
I don't have any problem importing from them. But to answer your question, I still get quite a bit of stuff from the Ukraine, a smattering from Russia, and the occasional UK delivery. (Accurate Armour's annual order notwithstanding.)
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2020 - 10:21 AM UTC
I have two kits coming from China now.
Totalize
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 743 posts
Armorama: 549 posts
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2020 - 10:29 AM UTC
Asia is not using air shipments. Everything AFAIK is going on a boat. So around 4-5 weeks for delivery. But they are taking orders and shipping.
jfeenstra
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 342 posts
Armorama: 342 posts
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2020 - 11:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Asia is not using air shipments. Everything AFAIK is going on a boat. So around 4-5 weeks for delivery. But they are taking orders and shipping.

Air shipments are being used, just not by the normal postal system(s) since they use commercial carriers, and of course with virtually no one flying internationally, there are no commercial carriers to use. FedEx and DHL are still flying so that is an option, maybe not from Ebay sellers, but from retailers (like HLJ, whom I just got an order from).
Klaus-Adler
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
Armorama: 840 posts
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2020 - 11:14 AM UTC
forget about ordering from the USA, I have parcels stuck in San Francisco, Chicago and New York since the middle of March and there is no sign of any of them arriving soon.

the mail here in screwed as well, even the express delivery companies like Hermes and DPD aren't succeeding...a week later and DPD's next day delivery still hasn't arrived.
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1,610 posts
Armorama: 684 posts
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2020 - 11:28 AM UTC
Things are messed up everywhere. I ordered something on eBay and the shipper is only about a 2 hour drive from where I live. It went by US Postal Service and it has simply disappeared. The tracking number simply says it's "in transit to the next destination", but doesn't say where it was when it was actually scanned.

Would have been easier for me to drive there and pick it up. I wonder whether our governor's order prohibiting folks from traveling to their own second homes up north would have applied to that trip.
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2020 - 11:50 AM UTC
I have received shipments ordered in the U.S. this past month. Maybe it just depends on the seller and how accessible the post office is to them in their particular situation.
steviecee
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 123 posts
Armorama: 31 posts
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2020 - 02:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Things are messed up everywhere. I ordered something on eBay and the shipper is only about a 2 hour drive from where I live. It went by US Postal Service and it has simply disappeared. The tracking number simply says it's "in transit to the next destination", but doesn't say where it was when it was actually scanned.

Would have been easier for me to drive there and pick it up. I wonder whether our governor's order prohibiting folks from traveling to their own second homes up north would have applied to that trip.

That no going to your second didn't apply to her because she went to her second home the 3rd or 4th weekend of April
Ibuild148
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 177 posts
Armorama: 153 posts
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2020 - 02:25 PM UTC
I hope you Scub it for Wuhan Covid 19.
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2020 - 02:30 PM UTC
Here, this is a list of how long covid lives on various surfaces. It would be dead as slow as some of these shipments are taking.

https://www.healthline.com/health/how-long-does-coronavirus-last-on-surfaces
Scarred
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2020 - 03:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have two kits coming from China now.

I've got 3 kits coming from China. The shipper missed the last day of shipping by one day. That was a couple months ago. I might see them in June. I was told if you order one kit from China you might not get it for months because those ship by air. A large order will ship by sea if they can find space. So send a big order, it might get here sooner.
Wanamaker
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 18 posts
Armorama: 11 posts
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2020 - 03:44 PM UTC
Australia’s out as well. Placed 2 orders with BNA model world shipped April 16. Both the tracking number say they haven’t even left Melbourne yet.
knewton
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,217 posts
Armorama: 1,092 posts
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2020 - 04:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Australia’s out as well. Placed 2 orders with BNA model world shipped April 16. Both the tracking number say they haven’t even left Melbourne yet.

Same here, and I live “next door”. Sigh. I may have to turn to something in the stash... or, finish a shelf queen.
Klaus-Adler
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
Armorama: 840 posts
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2020 - 05:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

aww nuts, I've got an academy Bradley coming from there as well...looks like I'm gonna have to build something from the stash lol
deerstalker36
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 232 posts
Armorama: 218 posts
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2020 - 07:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Funny, i placed an order with them a couple of weeks ago, delivered the next day
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,124 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2020 - 07:59 PM UTC
I think I'd be more worried about those "murder hornets" out of China. As for USPS, they can bollocks things up at the best of times. Being short handed don't help.
Totalize
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 743 posts
Armorama: 549 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 05, 2020 - 12:44 AM UTC

Air shipments are being used, just not by the normal postal system(s) since they use commercial carriers, and of course with virtually no one flying internationally, there are no commercial carriers to use. FedEx and DHL are still flying so that is an option, maybe not from Ebay sellers, but from retailers (like HLJ, whom I just got an order from).[/quote]

Good Stuff. Yes. air shipping from Japan still in place.
youpey
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 528 posts
Armorama: 468 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 05, 2020 - 12:56 AM UTC
I had something from usps take 6 days on from a store that was 45 minutes away. I would have just driven there if the would have been open for customers
VintageRPM
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 300 posts
Armorama: 207 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 05, 2020 - 02:22 AM UTC
I've had no problem with deliveries within the US - 10 days at worst. However overseas stuff is sitting at airports until there is a plane going out (flights are way down). Recent order from Spain sat at Madrid airport for 3 weeks - delivered to me in Texas one week after leaving Madrid.
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 05, 2020 - 02:35 AM UTC
When ordering anything from any where DOMESTICALLY, there are at least two distinct sources of confusion, chaos, and delay:

First, the shipper has to actually get the goods packed and off to the shipper, whether that be the postal service or UPS or FedEx or Mom n Pop Parcel Delivery. And many sellers are operating at slow and confused pace owing to any of many factors including staff / labor issues, a growing lack of packing materials, still working out how they themselves handle their end of operations in the current stressed Covid world, etc.

And second, ONCE the package gets to the shipping service... It's subject to all the myriad issues affecting that service. Right now, all shipping services are over-loaded with stuff to handle, and all are suffering growing labor issues as sick rolls grow, and all are caught up in still developing how they themselves will cope with Covid at receiving offices, in their warehouses, in their trucks, etc. Complication, confusion, fatigue and resulting delay and mis-delivery are rampant collective results.

The formerly-simple and quick process of shipping a Priority package from my PO in Prescott, AZ to my sis-in-law in NYC, where she lives directly across the ave from her PO branch is a case in study: Historically, we prep our package and hike to the PO in town and get it into the system. It's "Priority". Typically, if I get it into my PO before noon, it gets into her Apt building lobby by close of biz 2 1/2 days later. Like clock-work. For years. Now... A package sent a couple weeks back to 8 1/2 days for the same journey... Save that it went down to Puerto Rico for a visit along the way, and camped in SC for 2 days! So much for "priority mail"! Sadly, we had shipped some apple cake in that "priority" box...

For those ordering from China or other foreign sources.... Add on their in-country shipping processes- with all of the same and similar issues as we and everyone else has -, plus whatever possible complications may arise to get packages into whatever service and mode is being used to transport them across the big ponds (and most of China is now going by boat... not plane), followed by whatever complications and potential confusions arise when your goods leave that boat at a US port and transfer into whatever domestic delivery service the goods may get to. LOTS of opportunities for delay and, yes, even simple loss!

I still order from China. I just reconcile my expectations with all of the above and accept that I may not see things arrive here for many months. Until every step in the serial hand-off process gets smoothed-out and back to normal, slow is just the way things will be!

I'm happy to say that, while I may much want that next new kit or accessory "badly", I have PLENTY of stuff right here in my basement! In fact, I suppose that I have more than "enough" to waaaaay out-last my remaining time at the bench!

So, "Patience, all you Padawans!". And model on and KEEP SAFE!
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 05, 2020 - 02:46 AM UTC
If you are in the US and you need stuff in 5-7 days, not weeks, and within about $5 of Hong Kong prices, you can not beat these two USA online stores:
Scale Hobbyist https://www.scalehobbyist.com/
Sprue Brothers http://spruebrothers.com/
Their shipping is also under $10 so no paying more for the postage than the kit. Both these stores are outstanding for service, selection, reputation, and speed. Paint and glue are no problem and you can have them in a few days.
TopSmith
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 05, 2020 - 03:40 AM UTC
I agree, Scalehobbiest and Spruebrothers are normally my first go to. After that, it is hunt and peck until I find something. What gets me are the companies that only send their product to the US once or twice a year.
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 05, 2020 - 10:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Funny, i placed an order with them a couple of weeks ago, delivered the next day

Not for nothing, but you are in Australia and the poster is in Canada.
 _GOTOTOP