_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Why review an old kit?
dempsey
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 07, 2020 - 07:49 PM UTC
For what it's worth I have made models (with some lengthy breaks) usually figures (some on commission) for many years and am now making AFV's for the first time in over 20 years. This kit is still available and I was browsing various available models of this tank and for me this review was useful. If any kit is still on sale and has no review then providing that review is most useful to those who are not aware of the pros and cons of the kit. This was a good review and had all that I needed to know and I would like to thank the reviewer. Keep up the good work.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 07, 2020 - 08:01 PM UTC
Welcome aboard!

Which kit and which reviewer?
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,439 posts
Armorama: 1,980 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 07, 2020 - 08:19 PM UTC
Hope it's not VB
guni-kid
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 521 posts
Armorama: 514 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 07, 2020 - 08:33 PM UTC
Now you got me interested as well: Which kit and which reviewer are you talking about?

I am also always super happy to find new(er) reviews of old(er) kits. I like to build an old but decent kit once in a while myself. At the moment I have Tamiyas ancient (almost 50 years of age!) Quad Gun Tractor with the 25pdr gun and limber at my bench, next to some old 76th scale Matchbox kits and a Revell Huey from the 90ies... When I build them they are to me in that moment my most concern and I just love to browse build logs and reviews of them, expecially when they are from the recent years to see whats possible with todays tools and add-ons...

Ah, oh yeah: Welcome to Armorama and the forums!
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,233 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 07, 2020 - 10:18 PM UTC
Oh, those old Matchbox kits are a fond memory. I used to get every one as soon as it became available.
Somehow, their clean, organised enclosed sprue layouts made them seem a lot better than older brands that had their parts dangling off a trunk. It was an illusion - they were no better.
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 07, 2020 - 11:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Oh, those old Matchbox kits are a fond memory. I used to get every one as soon as it became available.
Somehow, their clean, organised enclosed sprue layouts made them seem a lot better than older brands that had their parts dangling off a trunk. It was an illusion - they were no better.

But some of them (all?) had bases!!
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,192 posts
Armorama: 1,615 posts
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2020 - 12:46 AM UTC
Why not review an old kit? Some of the Tamiya offerings were originally tooled in the 1960s. Unless you are aware of how Tamiya's model codes work, a new inexperienced modeller could buy a real bear of a kit with fit and accuracy issues. Panther, Tiger and Sherman kits are frequently "updated" and recoded by some manufacturers with the same issues as originally released. We need to know about this and identify the origins. Conversely, there are some less hackneyed subjects that have never been re-kitted by modern manufacturers, they are the only game in town and it is useful to be reminded of them. Example is the Tamiya Wespe; original release coming up for 30 years old, but still a pretty good kit IMHO.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2020 - 01:01 AM UTC
Keep having to remind myself that 1990 was thirty 3-0 years ago.

So as long as those kits are around they should be reviewed.

And you never know when something truly ancient will be repopped so should review that.

And the moldy oldies that you find on Ebay or at a show? Where's the review for that?

I've actually gone back to my back issues of IPMS magazine from forty years ago to look up a kit that was just re-released. So yeah, review those old kits.
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,439 posts
Armorama: 1,980 posts
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2020 - 02:25 AM UTC
I see lots of people still build the old Tamiya Panther and most make a good job of it even with it's underneath the hull.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2020 - 02:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I see lots of people still build the old Tamiya Panther and most make a good job of it even with it's underneath the hull.

And the completely wrong proportions and missing a third of the suspension yeah. But I have Tamiya Stuart's and Lee's in the stash with all their problems. It's all good.
 _GOTOTOP