_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Tamiya's Classic T-55A
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2020 - 09:49 AM UTC
For a Korean War project, I decided to go with Tamiya's old Pershing kit rather than any later Hobby Boss offerings, namely because I wanted an early version which looked like the WW2 type. I had to buy expensive metal aftermarket tracks but decided it was worth it.

Should I assume the Tamiya T-55A is the best bet, though I would require aftermarket parts for that too? Takom's kits have overly heavy ribs on them which I found impossible to trim properly, and Miniart's kits are not only overcomplicated but I hat issues trying to assemble them. Who has their own stories?
Armorsmith
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,000 posts
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2020 - 10:39 AM UTC
The Tamiya T55A wheels have grooves(incorrect) as opposed to raised ribs(incorrect). I filled mine with stretched sprue to replicate the ribes. The ribs on the running surface get worn off pretty quickly in use while those on the sidewalls have a longer life.

I have not built a MiniArt T55, which are reputed to be the best out there, but have built their 122 54 early. The running gear and suspension are a bit of a chore and there were a few parts that were PE only with no plastic option. However, it does build into a very nice finished product.

If the T55 is going to be displayed with the Pershing in a Koren War setting you might want to consider a T34/85 instead as I'm not certain that the NKs had any T55s or if they did few of them. Hopefully someone can confirm or deny this.

Good luck.
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2020 - 10:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The Tamiya T55A wheels have grooves(incorrect) as opposed to raised ribs(incorrect). I filled mine with stretched sprue to replicate the ribes. The ribs on the running surface get worn off pretty quickly in use while those on the sidewalls have a longer life.

I have not built a MiniArt T55, which are reputed to be the best out there, but have built their 122 54 early. The running gear and suspension are a bit of a chore and there were a few parts that were PE only with no plastic option. However, it does build into a very nice finished product.

If the T55 is going to be displayed with the Pershing in a Koren War setting you might want to consider a T34/85 instead as I'm not certain that the NKs had any T55s or if they did few of them. Hopefully someone can confirm or deny this.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info. Tamiya's T-55A will not be on my buy list after all. It was just for general information.

As for the Korean War, I already have a Dragon T-34/85 for that project. "Former friends" is the theme.
 _GOTOTOP