_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
I've never seen this before? Tiger zimmerit?
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,295 posts
Armorama: 1,191 posts
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2020 - 01:46 PM UTC

Was perusing a gallery linked to by a poster responding to the queries of Mirco from his Tiger I Normandy Campaign log, and saw this image which I have posted here for discussion purposes only.

I cannot recall ever seeing another picture, or a description of Zimmerit being applied to a vehicle in such a pattern. Have you?

I know panthers have had several patterns, one of which was square in nature, but they seemed to me to be stacked in line, both vertically and horizontally the lines were straight and level.

But this appears to me to be very uniquely a slightly staggered version of that squares pattern, offset more like brick layers do in a stretcher bond effect...

On your mark, get set, go:

Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,138 posts
Armorama: 953 posts
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2020 - 02:25 PM UTC
The Bundesarchive only tells us "Eastern Front, 1944, August". Perhaps you can reverse engineer from there. More than a few sites claim S.Pz.Abt 509....not sure how they would deduce that ...
Paska
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 55 posts
Armorama: 54 posts
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2020 - 03:43 PM UTC
This photo and another of the same vehicle (#214) can be found on page 90-91 of Restayn's Tiger I On the Eastern Front and is identified as being from s.Pz.Abt.509. "Some of them sported a slightly unorthodox Zimmerit pattern." It was destroyed by a JS 2 on August 16th, 1944.
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,439 posts
Armorama: 1,980 posts
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2020 - 05:34 PM UTC
Must of had a night on the tiles
 _GOTOTOP