_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
rusty stuff on tanks?
phil2015
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 502 posts
Armorama: 325 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2020 - 12:30 PM UTC

In service tanks to be specific.

So it seems to be de rigueur that models show rusty exhausts. I can believe exhaust systems corroded pretty fast.

What about other metal bits hanging around the outside of the tank - things that aren't painted? Shovels? Hammer heads?

What about spare tracks links?

Tow cables?

Thanks,
Phil
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2020 - 05:05 PM UTC
not tow cables. Crews would wipe them down with oily rags to keep th rust away. A rusty cable could mean weakening. A frayed or damaged cable is weakened. They would be discarded as using them would be deathly dangerous
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,439 posts
Armorama: 1,980 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2020 - 06:17 PM UTC
I wonder if this will reach a 100 posts
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2020 - 06:25 PM UTC
Not as much as you might think.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2020 - 08:33 PM UTC
Metal parts of track. In many areas there is dew caused by the condensation of water in the area due to change in the temperature overnight. It can rust the surface of exposed metal like track. Wear and tear will remove much of it so you'll have worn metal with some pitted rust in deep areas.

But unless you're sandblasting the tracks every day tracks are never rust free.

Look at something that is outside everyday and used and not washed and waxed weekly like your car. Railroad engines and cars and construction equipment are good indicators of what rusts from continuous exposure. Paint fading is pretty amazing as I've seen beautiful gloss black tank cars become a dingy grey over a year in the sun.
nsjohn
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 279 posts
Armorama: 265 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2020 - 09:50 PM UTC
Exhausts are almost unique because of the heat cycle they go through. An interesting comparison is the 3 pipe system on certain Panthers where 2 pipes were cooling pipes and only one was an exhaust.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2020 - 11:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Exhausts are almost unique because of the heat cycle they go through. An interesting comparison is the 3 pipe system on certain Panthers where 2 pipes were cooling pipes and only one was an exhaust.

Look at the little Joe auxiliary generator exhaust and the exhaust on an M41 light tank. The exhausts got so hot that the whole cover as well as the muffler itself rusted. The heater pipe on an M60 was totally rusted. The actual exhausts under the grill doors didn't rust. They were aluminum.

The screws on the clamp rusted. They were steel.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2020 - 01:46 AM UTC
Take a look here:

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/features/7928

This is a feature I wrote in the walk around section. This Sheridan has been sitting for several years in the open in a very damp environment in the Pacific Northwest. The vehicle is largely aluminum, with the exception of the turret and gun. But I think the main point is this— if a vehicle has been sitting motionless for years, rust will appear. But, if it’s well maintained, rust (perhaps the exception is exhausts) will be kept to a minimum. It also depends on the quality of the metal used in a vehicle. Hardened armor is less likely to rust than boiler plate. And don’t forget the lifespan of a vehicle. During WWII, vehicles didn’t last for years. For example, for American vehicles, D-Day to VE Day was only 11 months. That may be enough time to garner some rust “sitting still” and “left alone” but most vehicles didn’t get the chance.
VR, Russ
Scarred
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2020 - 03:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Stainless steel exhausts don't rust. But those would be on newer post WW2 vehicles. That is if they used stainless steel.
nsjohn
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 279 posts
Armorama: 265 posts
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2020 - 04:29 AM UTC
You want to see the "stainless" boxes on my 911 then.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2020 - 05:10 AM UTC
Put a new wedge bolt or end connector on a tank track and it would be rusty within days even with daily use.

Tear off the paint changing a lightbulb in the headlight and the area was rusty by the end of the week. It could remain like that until necessary to remove the rust and touch up the paint.

Vehicles weren't covered in rust but there was some tiny bits here and there. Look at construction equipment and train engines and cars.
frank01
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 195 posts
Armorama: 175 posts
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2020 - 06:18 AM UTC
the whole underside of steel/cast armour scraping the ground,
Scarred
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2020 - 06:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You want to see the "stainless" boxes on my 911 then.

I got 17 years on my truck exhaust and aside from discoloration from heat, the only places that are rusty are where the pipes connect. The U bolt clamps are rusty and have been replaced a couple times but 90% of the exhaust is rust free from header back.

One area on military vehicles that gets chipped and rusty are tow hitches, shackles and lift points. The paint is always getting chipped in those areas and we touched them up as soon as we got back to garrison.
 _GOTOTOP