_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
St Chamond Hobby Boss or Takom?
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2020 - 04:19 AM UTC
I am looking for the French St Chamond tank. Both Hobby Boss and Takom make one. Any pros/cons between the two kits? Any heads up on any issues I need to be aware of?
arpikaszabo
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 674 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2020 - 07:11 AM UTC
I suggest Hobby Boss if you want to keep your sanity. Takom has multi-piece tracks.
Regarding accuracy, I am not sure.
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,353 posts
Armorama: 3,121 posts
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2020 - 09:26 AM UTC
This may help you:

Full review on Takom's
http://armorama.com/review/11370

What is in the box for Hobby Boss:
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/news/21532

If my experience after scratch building missing and wrong parts on all 4 of the Hobby Boss kits I have done is anything to go by, and based on the above review, if you want accuracy then acquire the Takom one.....

ninjrk
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
Armorama: 1,347 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 - 12:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I suggest Hobby Boss if you want to keep your sanity. Takom has multi-piece tracks.
Regarding accuracy, I am not sure.

Honestly, as far as multi-piece tracks go these were pretty painless. get a good Xuron God Hands style sprue cutter to minimize cleanup and they go relatively quickly.
VintageRPM
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 300 posts
Armorama: 207 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 - 02:16 AM UTC
I've built the Takom but not the HobbyBoss. I really liked the Takom kit. Certainly the easiest individual link tracks I've ever encountered. They basically snap together.
mag135
Visit this Community
Madrid, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 146 posts
Armorama: 128 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 - 05:37 AM UTC
Without doubt the HB kits. I have built Takom's early and HB late. A very big difference in detail and proportions. HB includes the complete gun and supports.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 - 08:12 AM UTC
Can't speak to accuracy, but I built the HB mid version and it was rather easy. The tracks are single-piece links that simply click together! The only tricky spots are the suspension which is fragile until fully assembled) and the MG mounts (that are oddly fragile and not very firm in attachment points - I glued mine in place to ensure they were firm). I found the road wheels needed a spacer added to the axle to widen them by about 0.020" so the flanges fit around the raised bit of the track links - best to do this BEFORE you get it all assembled! (Ask how I learned...) My only gripe is that there are lots of big doors, but nothing to see inside!
 _GOTOTOP