_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Jagdtiger engine hatch
matlev
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 53 posts
Armorama: 53 posts
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2020 - 09:47 AM UTC
Hi folks
Spending hours scanning the net and reference books for a pic of the inside of the Jagdtiger engine hatch with no luck. I have found some pics from fellow modellers own interpretations but there are not two looking the same so how was the real deal looking?
I´m trying to detail the Trumpeter 1/16 Jagdtiger but this part was very hard to find pics of the layout of the holes fot the air vents on the hatch.
Does anyone have a pic or at least could describe the layout of the holes, i.e similar as the Panther or the Tiger I?

Thanks

Mats
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,295 posts
Armorama: 1,191 posts
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2020 - 10:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi folks
Spending hours scanning the net and reference books for a pic of the inside of the Jagdtiger engine hatch with no luck. I have found some pics from fellow modellers own interpretations but there are not two looking the same so how was the real deal looking?
I´m trying to detail the Trumpeter 1/16 Jagdtiger but this part was very hard to find pics of the layout of the holes fot the air vents on the hatch.
Does anyone have a pic or at least could describe the layout of the holes, i.e similar as the Panther or the Tiger I?
Thanks

Mats

Hey Mats, I would assume, knowing full well what that can cause LOL, that the hatch would be the same as for the Tiger II, on which the Jagdtiger was built off of. And for that, perhaps the best reference would be of Dimitri's spectacular build which can be found here in the armor section of the forums. Hope that helps. I think the hatch is pretty plain and with not much detail from what I remember.
matlev
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 53 posts
Armorama: 53 posts
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2020 - 10:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi folks
Thanks

Mats

Hey Mats, I would assume, knowing full well what that can cause LOL, that the hatch would be the same as for the Tiger II, on which the Jagdtiger was built off of. And for that, perhaps the best reference would be of Dimitri's spectacular build which can be found here in the armor section of the forums. Hope that helps. I think the hatch is pretty plain and with not much detail from what I remember.

Thanks
Yes I tried searching for tiger ii as well with no luck, even here on Armorama. For some reason Dimitry’s fantastic work didn’t show up in the results but you gave me the idea to search for Dimitry instead and that did the trick so many thanks.
No not so much detail but still some scratchbuilding to do according to Dimitrys work of art.
Mats
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,295 posts
Armorama: 1,191 posts
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2020 - 10:42 AM UTC
Glad to have been of service, and perhaps Dimitry himself may have a shot or two of any hatch details that may further help. I know the interior view of the Tiger I hatch basically only has latching points for the lockdowns, and what looks like a fabric type cover for the single vent hole on the hatch. Might be a good jumping off point too. Perhaps it wouldn't be vastly dissimilar than that of the Panther deck cover also. I believe the chasis was based on that design, although of modified length ?

MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2020 - 10:48 AM UTC
Hello,
I do not know if you are a Facebook person, but David Parker from AFV Modeler magazine is quite active in several model groups and as himself of course. I do not know if he is active here.

He built the Trumpeter 1/16th scale Kingtiger 'Superking' that was published in issues of the magazine and as a stand alone book.
There are photos of the inside of the engine hatch there, but out of respect for his copyright I will not post here.
It is an expensive book, well worth the price, but probably not something to buy for one image. If you are detailing a Trumpeter 1/16 Kingtiger it is the definitive work on the subject.

That said, David is a spectacular stand-up individual and freely shares reference images and assists modelers of all abilities. That said, he's also a busy man and a business owner as well.

Were you to ask reasonably respectfully on facebook, given his history, I would guess he might share an image with you.
 _GOTOTOP