_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
generic on vehicle equipment sets?
phil2015
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 502 posts
Armorama: 325 posts
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2020 - 10:42 AM UTC

I've been searching for someone who makes generic on vehicle equipment in 1/35. I'm interested in Soviet and German WW2. I found the Tamiya set for the panzer iv that looks great. Are there others? Plastic is preferred.

I know there are a lot of PE sets that seem customized for a particular vehicle or kit.

FWIW, the thing that prompted me to look is interest in a C hook for my Stug III. There is one in the Dragon kit I'm building. It's a one piece casting, so it's not at all clear to me how I'm going to get it onto the tow hook on the front of the vehicle.

Thanks,
Phil
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,295 posts
Armorama: 1,191 posts
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2020 - 10:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've been searching for someone who makes generic on vehicle equipment in 1/35. I'm interested in Soviet and German WW2. I found the Tamiya set for the panzer iv that looks great. Are there others? Plastic is preferred.

I know there are a lot of PE sets that seem customized for a particular vehicle or kit.

FWIW, the thing that prompted me to look is interest in a C hook for my Stug III. There is one in the Dragon kit I'm building. It's a one piece casting, so it's not at all clear to me how I'm going to get it onto the tow hook on the front of the vehicle.

Thanks,
Phil

Phil, this set might have what you're looking for

I will search my stash, as I may have the part in question and could help with how it attaches. it may take awhile, most of my stuff is in moving boxes tucked away in a couple closets.

eddiem54
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 34 posts
Armorama: 31 posts
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2020 - 11:28 AM UTC
There are some ww2 photo's on this site. showing the "C" hook in use. I think you would have to cut off the lock and refit it after connecting the "C" hook.
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2020 - 11:29 AM UTC
Phil,

The tow 'C' hook had a rectangular device that spun in order to hook it to the cable and shackle.
see link...sixth picture from left.

http://relicsww2.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=305

Unless your part comes in 2 pieces which you will glue once installed
on the shackle either cut the rectangular part...install and re-glue
or just mount it on the mudguard where these are normally installed.

These were normally not just left hanging on the shackle unless you're
depicting the vehicle being towed.

Cheers,
phil2015
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 502 posts
Armorama: 325 posts
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2020 - 12:14 PM UTC

Wow! Thanks everybody for the quick responses. I didn't know exactly how the C-hook worked but I assumed it was something like that. I guess I'll cut and reglue. I can do that, I was just hoping for another way. My inspiration is this. I don't have to do it that way, but I'd like to....

http://panzermaenner.blogspot.com/2016/01/stug-iii-at-nikopol-bridgehead.html
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2020 - 06:43 PM UTC
The Tamiya set is well-done, but it's over twenty years old, and the tool clamps have no release clips, so you'd still need photo etch to dress them up. The Italeri set is very poor by comparison.
Dragon briefly offered their German tank tools through Cyber Hobby, but somebody in marketing realized they were being used to dress up other companies' products, potentially costing Dragon major kit sales, so they stopped it.
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,138 posts
Armorama: 953 posts
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2020 - 07:21 PM UTC
For generic type tools, the Italeri field tool shop still holds up well, and the Miniart garage, field shop and tool sets are all quite nice.
 _GOTOTOP