_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Tamiya's Type 97 Chi-Ha
lawlzw
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 120 posts
Armorama: 67 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2020 - 03:29 PM UTC
Hi guys,

It's been a few years since I last posted; wanted to share a recent build, Tamiya's 1/35 scale Type 97 Chi-Ha

It's a simple low-budget project done almost completely out-of-the-box. I used Gunze's IJA Japanese tank early camouflage paint set for the 3-tone camo, and various Tamiya acrylics for the other colours. Yellow stripe was painted free-hand.

I am quite pleased with the track sag effect, which was done by drilling holes at various spots along the lower hull and inserting metal wires to hold the tracks down. I wasn't sure if its going to work, but it turns out fine and the wires are also hidden pretty well by the subsequent painting and weathering processes.

Hope you enjoyed the pics; stay safe and comments welcomed!

Cheers
Lawrence
kunjuro
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 520 posts
Armorama: 488 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2020 - 03:34 PM UTC
Great work on the camo Man, I've been seeing quite a few people building this same kit. I wish I bought one while they were still available - they look quite cute haha.
deathdork
KitMaker: 314 posts
Armorama: 296 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2020 - 06:42 PM UTC
Nice piece!

I did have a question on the white surface on the inside hatches. Is this correct?
lawlzw
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 120 posts
Armorama: 67 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2020 - 10:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice piece!

I did have a question on the white surface on the inside hatches. Is this correct?

To be honest, I have no idea. Personally I think it shouldn't be in white, since this might make the vehicle easier to spot from afar when the hatches are opened? However, since I just wanted a simple build, I didn't delve too deep into this
Khouli
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 68 posts
Armorama: 68 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2020 - 11:42 PM UTC
I remember this kit was in the very first Tamiya Catalogue I bought - must have been around 1982 or 3.

Is this still the original or has it been remodeled by Tamiya since then?
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2020 - 12:51 AM UTC
No, this is still the original 1975 release in it's original form. It can still stand right up against the Dragon and Finemolds releases very well. The reasons for that are that the kit was never meant to be motorized, so the dimentions are all accurate; and being the main IJA tank of WWII Mr. Tamiya insisted on an extra special job being done on this kit. It's still an excellent kit.
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2020 - 02:11 AM UTC
Whether the inside of the hatch color (white) is right or wrong,
that is how Tamiya instructs you to paint them.
Cheers,
Khouli
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 68 posts
Armorama: 68 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2020 - 05:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Whether the inside of the hatch color (white) is right or wrong,
that is how Tamiya instructs you to paint them.
Cheers,

The colour was 'probably' white (based on photographic evidence) - but i've seen pictures of Japanese WWII tanks in the Pacific theatre with the hatch interiors pained to match the camouflage scheme of the exterior.
 _GOTOTOP