_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
>Trumpeter< M65 Atomic Cannon Announced?
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2020 - 12:43 AM UTC
Trumpeter just (like 15 minutes ago) posted the box art from the I Love Models 1/35 kit (that was produced at Trumpeter's corporate location) on their Facebook feed. I wonder if they are now going to release this under their label?

KL
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2020 - 01:04 AM UTC
Now that they have tested the market with the mystery brand?
Mine (pre-Trumpeter admission) is already on its way from Cañon City (Colorado), together with some other smallish bits and pieces.
/ Robin
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2020 - 01:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mine (pre-Trumpeter admission) is already on its way from Cañon City (Colorado), together with some other smallish bits and pieces.
/ Robin

Was someone besides Haswing Outdoor selling them or was than an intermediate step on the package tracking?

KL
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2020 - 02:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

/ Robin

Was someone besides Haswing Outdoor selling them or was than an intermediate step on the package tracking?

KL

The ebay-post said that shipping was only inside the US. I sent a question about international shipping to Haswing on the off-chance that the 'US only' might have been some default setting but there was no reply (not even a simple No) so I had to get assistance from someone in the US. Now it is travelling as a combined shipment with another big gun and some smaller stuff
/ Robin
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2020 - 02:08 AM UTC
Nice. Chapter 77 of the SFMC is only five miles away in Florence, where I spend a lot of time anyway. I might be able to save myself (and others) some shipping costs.
jfeenstra
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 342 posts
Armorama: 342 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2020 - 02:25 AM UTC
I think this is much the same situation as with the Merit kits (i.e. M19 Tank Transporter). Trumpeter produced the kits for Merit, and it was obvious that Merit had an agreement to sell the kits exclusively for a certain length of time. Once that expired, Trumpeter started selling them as well, at least in Asia, either under their own name or still using the Merit branding.

I figured this might be the case when the Atomic Annie was first starting to be sold, and it appears that might be correct.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2020 - 03:01 AM UTC
This is the deal I made with the eBay seller from California:

haswingoutdoor:

Hi if you order 6 box’s we can discount total $100
This is our best offer please let us know
Thank you

Maybe I can do a better deal in Colorado.
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2020 - 03:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

haswingoutdoor:

Thank you

I'm pretty sure Robin didn't get his through a hobby shop in Colorado but through a friend there ("so I had to get assistance from someone in the US") and that was to get overseas shipping, not a better price.

KL
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2020 - 03:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The ebay-post said that shipping was only inside the US. I sent a question about international shipping to Haswing on the off-chance that the 'US only' might have been some default setting but there was no reply (not even a simple No) so I had to get assistance from someone in the US. Now it is travelling as a combined shipment with another big gun and some smaller stuff
/ Robin

Ah. If that happens again let me know. I can trans-ship stuff to you if you need help.

KL
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2020 - 03:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

haswingoutdoor:

Thank you

I'm pretty sure Robin didn't get his through a hobby shop in Colorado but through a friend there ("so I had to get assistance from someone in the US") and that was to get overseas shipping, not a better price.

KL

I understand that. But if they'll do the same deal for this broker in Colorado it may be less shipping for everyone since I can stop by and pick it up myself. Assuming there's enough interest. Or I can wait until it hits Squadron. I get wholesale prices there but unfortunately I can't hook a brother up when I go there.
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2020 - 04:03 AM UTC
In my case it was a re-shipping operation. I asked someone in the US to get one for me and then send it to me, effectively "borrowing" an address in the US.
/ Robin
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2020 - 04:13 AM UTC
If you don"t know anyone in the US

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Package_forwarding

H.P.
kinmanb
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 52 posts
Armorama: 49 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2020 - 10:38 AM UTC
I wonder if anyone will make a 20 figure crew kit?
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2020 - 11:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I wonder if anyone will make a 20 figure crew kit?

Hope it's NOT Trumpeter! Their kits are generally good, but their figures are poor to unusable.
alchemymike
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 208 posts
Armorama: 192 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2020 - 06:05 PM UTC
I have my kit 90% built.... one of the best fitting and most detailed kits I have ever built....just a joy to build....
my only critique so far is that there is no cable for the winch....
that's it...

Does anyone know of a good source for scale cable like this...?

Also if there is any Photo etch or figures for this in the works can you please post it here?

Wish it were easier to add pix here for me would love to share the build I have going....
alchemymike
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2020 - 06:37 PM UTC
man I hope so....this thing screams out for figures.... please post if you find any I am looking for some US Army 1950's figures I can at least convert but no luck so far...
Photo Etch would be sweet too...
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2020 - 08:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

please post if you find any I am looking for some US Army 1950's figures I can at least convert but no luck so far

I'm definitely no expert but would Tamiya M40 crew be useable (with some mods...) ?

H.P.
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2020 - 09:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

'
'
'
'

Does anyone know of a good source for scale cable like this...?

'
'
'
'

Wish it were easier to add pix here for me would love to share the build I have going....

Cable: I would use thin copper wires from earplug cables, small coils from electronics (relays, transformers, electromagnets in diskette or CD-players), cabling in electronic devices, broken USB-charger cables. Keeping an eye out for usable junk ...
These wires, unwound to single strands are definitely thin enough (comes in varying thicknesses, can be found in thicknesses down to .0004 inch ...) BUT they are usually laquered with a clear laquer so they look like bare copper. Can be airbrushed or hand painted, I know that enamels stick, unsure about acrylics.
Another option is black fly tying wire, this type (Amazon) assorted colours including black is 0.3 mm (.01 inch) which comes to .04 inch or 10,5 mm in 1:1
scale.
https://www.amazon.com/Greatfishing-Copper-Spoolet-Materials-Streamer/dp/B07JZ2JVFK/ref=sr_1_50?crid=1NXUW9V8S7U87&dchild=1&keywords=phecda%2Bsport%2Bfly%2Btying&qid=1590138990&sprefix=Phecda%2Bsports%2Caps%2C235&sr=8-50&th=1
There are other types/brands and sizes so you should be able to find something suitable. Thicker cables than 10.5 mm should be easier to find.
There is also "thicker" lead wires, could be painted, maybe they are easier to shape to get that "heavy cable" look ..
https://www.amazon.com/Hareline-Dubbin-Round-COLOR-0-015/dp/B001U81WU8?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_2

Pictures: I use imgur, a free service with no hassle (so far), free = I think that they can sell your pictures to others. Once you have registered with them it is simply a drag-n-drop move to upload pictures, then you select the uploaded image, copy the BB-forum link and paste the link into your posting here.
It takes me longer to write this last sentence than it takes to upload and post an image from my computer.

/ Robin
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2020 - 03:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm definitely no expert but would Tamiya M40 crew be useable (with some mods...) ?
H.P.

Jeez, are those Tamiya figs?? They look like resin, or printed figures! Are they available as a separate figure set? They would be great for any medium to heavy artillery.
alchemymike
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2020 - 02:01 PM UTC
Thanks ROBIN!!!
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2020 - 04:25 PM UTC
Hobby Fan has two sets of Korean War artillery crews.

http://hobbyfan.com.tw/index.php/Home/Product/detail/tid/5/id/1722.html[url]

[url]http://hobbyfan.com.tw/index.php/Home/Product/detail/tid/5/id/1721.html
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2020 - 03:07 AM UTC
I don't think any of those figure sets would work. Besides the poses, M65 crews never saw combat and only used the weapon in stateside or garrison training and had a higher level of uniform discipline, perhaps because they were always under the eye of the brass.

KL
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2020 - 03:40 AM UTC
You've got a point here Kurt. At least coveralls appear to be a Plan B option:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ1Oi15044c

H.P.
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2020 - 04:17 AM UTC
This web-site:
http://sbiii.com/ordatcan.html
contains four images of an M65 turning a street corner in Geislingen an der Steige, a little town in Baden-Württemberg, Germany, located by the railway line from Stuttgart to Ulm.

"Exercise Storm Feather West Germany, shooting atomic cannon Annotation: M65 Atomic Cannon (Atomic Annie). This copy is named War Eagle Date: September 15, 1955 Location: Germany Keywords: exercises"
https://www.alamy.com/exercise-storm-feather-west-germany-shooting-atomic-cannon-annotation-m65-atomic-cannon-atomic-annie-this-copy-is-named-war-eagle-date-september-15-1955-location-germany-keywords-exercises-image342504957.html

" Exercise Storm Feather West Germany, shooting atomic cannon Annotation: M65 Atomic Cannon (Atomic Annie Date: September 15, 1955 Location: Germany Keywords: SHOOTING, exercises - Image ID: 2AW6CGK"
https://www.alamy.com/exercise-storm-feather-west-germany-shooting-atomic-cannon-annotation-m65-atomic-cannon-atomic-annie-date-september-15-1955-location-germany-keywords-shooting-exercises-image342504979.html

"A standard high-explosive projectile is loaded into an M65 280mm Atomic Cannon that is then fired by artillerymen during a field exercise in Germany."
https://dissolve.com/video/standard-high-explosive-projectile-loaded-into-M65-280mm-royalty-free-stock-video-footage/001-D378-76-618

https://www.tankograd.com/cms/website.php?id=/en/index/atomic_annie.htm

http://www.usarmygermany.com/Sont.htm?http&&&www.usarmygermany.com/Units/FieldArtillery/USAREUR_FieldArty.htm

Stateside
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2020 - 04:55 AM UTC
You can add this period footage to the list, Robin :

42nd Field Artillery Group in Germany

H.P.
 _GOTOTOP