_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Why Doesn't Dragon Make A Flak 18?
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2020 - 09:17 AM UTC
I have the 6287 kit (which I haven't started) and notice it has most if not all the necessary components. AFV Club makes a kit, but from past experience Dragon's kit quality is vastly superior.
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2020 - 01:47 PM UTC
DML hasn’t really shown a big effort with many of the WW2 subjects recently. A Flak 18 would require a new cruciform mount and new bogies. That’s quite a lot. Basically only the cannon is reusable. People who are interested in a Flak 18 probably already bought the very acceptable AFV club kit is what I suspect DML sees. So low returns on investment
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2020 - 03:36 AM UTC
The question should be, "Why doesn't Dragon make anything new"?
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2020 - 03:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have the 6287 kit (which I haven't started) and notice it has most if not all the necessary components. AFV Club makes a kit, but from past experience Dragon's kit quality is vastly superior.

The Dragon kit isn't vastly superior or have you both the same as I had?

As Roy said the AFV Club kit is very acceptable but then again as previous posts have shown you make these unsubstantiated statements and get some sort of kick out of the number of replies you receive.

That aside, your more likely to get a new kit from Takom, Meng, Rye Field Model, or Border than Dragon these days. They seem to work on the marketing strategy of bringing out a re-release with some minor bits added and some taken away, then giving it a new product code along with an attempt to get some of the market share on "interior included" kits with their latest Panzer III chassis variants. I feel their "place in the sun" has been overtaken by the strong competition now in the marketplace, which offer as much if not more for a lot less than Dragon kits at retail prices.

ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2020 - 04:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Careful Tom you might get what you wish for

Biggles is right ! And when they do it's come in the form of their "Black Label" brand.

Your only hope as Alan stated your best chance might come from one of the new manufacturers.
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2020 - 04:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Biggles is right ! And when they do it's come in the form of their "Black Label" brand.

Your only hope as Alan stated your best chance might come from one of the new manufacturers.

Except that Dragon already has most of the components for the cannon part engineered. That is why I asked about Dragon.
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2020 - 10:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Except that Dragon already has most of the components for the cannon part engineered. That is why I asked about Dragon.

As Roy said that is for the Gun, not the Cruciform Mount or Wheels etc which make up a lot of the kit. Only DML can answer your question but if I were a betting man I'd say they just don't see a good return on investment..
Al
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2020 - 12:36 PM UTC
Since the AFV Club offering is totally adequate, why should Dragon even try to compete with them? Everything I’ve seen regarding Dragon (and I used to work for a Dragon distributor) indicates they are more about profit in their later years than they were at the beginning, and Dragon recognizes there’s no room in the market for such offerings where strong competition exists.
VR, Russ
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 - 01:50 AM UTC
Trumpeter makes the Bunkerknacker, kit no. 01585. German 8.8cm Flak 18 Selbstfahrlafette. Issued in 2012

That has the cannon. They'd be more likely make a stand alone new Flak 18 kit rather than DML.
Removed by original poster on 05/28/20 - 11:03:48 (GMT).
 _GOTOTOP