_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
What Colors Should I Use For Rommel's Greif?
Charleygnarlyp290
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 105 posts
Armorama: 85 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2020 - 04:24 PM UTC
I've have searched high and low and can't make heads or tails of what colors I should use on this vehicle. I prefer to use Tamiya paints, so even if I have to mix something up, I'm OK with that.

RAL and RLM colors scare me. LAL

Any help would be appraciated.
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2020 - 04:52 PM UTC
Use the color scheme suggested by TAMIYA>

https://www.scalemates.com/products/img/4/9/4/105494-47-instructions.pdf

Scroll down to pg 8.
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,124 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2020 - 05:34 PM UTC
Well ….. Most likely the colors are RAL 8000 and RAL 7008. Spec changed to 8020/7027 in March 42. The kit says it dates to summer 42. (When was that 250 sent to North Africa? ) I doubt it was repainted to the newer colors. What is so scary about RAl #s? (Or FS, or BS?) Just match numbers , like XF numbers with Tamiya. Lot easier than mixing. Also, something I've noticed of late, some people talk like Tamiya is the only paint they can use and to even consider using anything else will result in the Tamiya Ninjas murdering them in their sleep for heresy.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2020 - 12:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Also, something I've noticed of late, some people talk like Tamiya is the only paint they can use and to even consider using anything else will result in the Tamiya Ninjas murdering them in their sleep for heresy.

I suppose it depends on what they are comfortable with, and what is locally available. Can't speak for the OP, but while I can get most ranges of paint sent to me here, Tamiya acrylics are by far the best to push through my airbrush based on years of experiment and experience. Tried others with varied results - some were just not useable, while others were too much like hard work to get "just right". But I do brush-paint with a wide range of brands, since it doesn't matter if I can get good atomized flow with the old hairy stick.

The big thing I find is if I ask specifically about a paint mix for Tamiya, it does me no good to suggest another brand of paint. Kinda like taking your car to the garage for repairs, only to have the mechanic suggest buying a different type of car!
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2020 - 03:21 AM UTC
Sure, there are other brands of paint than Tamiya, but any hobby store that carries Tamiya kits (and which ones don't?) also carry a full range of Tamiya paint - so they are usually the most widely available. For airbrushing I use Tamiya paint exclusively, thinned with their lacquer thinners. The paint flows easily whether you thin it down for really fine lines, or thicker for overall coverage. It also cleans up really easily with the same thinner.

Sorry, starting to get off-topic!
 _GOTOTOP