_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
rubber tracks, glue before putting on/after
youpey
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 528 posts
Armorama: 468 posts
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2020 - 02:10 AM UTC
yesterday i finished my icm t34 and i painted the track and put it on. one went on easily, but the other i couldnt get it on for over an hour.

it made me think, what if i did not glue the track after putting it on, but before, and then put it on with it already glued, and not putting on the front or rear wheel until then?

how do you typically do it with rubber tracks? glue before or after
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2020 - 02:17 AM UTC
How do you mean "rubber"? Real rubber, nylon, DS, etc? How well do they glue with CA, or styrene glue?
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 3,098 posts
Armorama: 1,236 posts
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2020 - 02:25 AM UTC
I always connect the ends of mine before attaching them. To me it is a lot easier that way.

Thanks,
Randy
j76lr
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,081 posts
Armorama: 1,066 posts
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2020 - 02:43 AM UTC
T
ry leaving the drive wheel off until you have the tread on , then glue the wheel on .
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2020 - 03:11 AM UTC
I put the "rubber" tracks (vinyl, DS or other crap) in
some small discarded food packaging and then I pour glue over it.
Then I get aftermarket tracks

The tip about leaving the sprocket and idler wheels off the kit and installing them together with the track works in most cases. Doing it this way avoids stretching the "rubber" track to get it over the sprocket teeth and getting the guide horns past the idler.
Leaving off the first and last road wheels could also help.

If the tracks on a T-34 need to be stretched like that they are WAY too tight!

There should be some slack, not much and definitely not overdone like many modellers do it, but enough to allow the track to rest on top of the road wheels.

The problem is that glueing afterwards can get difficult, especially if the joint needs reinforcing.

/ Robin
barnslayer
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 102 posts
Armorama: 102 posts
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2020 - 03:30 AM UTC
Soft plastic tracks as in vintage Tamiya?
Glue didn't work well. The alternatives were staples or melting the tabs with a heated screwdriver. Both of those methods have to be done before installation.
This problem paved the way for aftermarket track sets.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2020 - 03:57 AM UTC
Join the track before hand and leave the sprocket unglued. Put the track onto the sprocket and put it on.

You can also leave off the outer part of the road wheels and form the tracks over them. Works with any kind of track, link to link and so on. When the track is shaped how you want it, glue to the wheels and then put on the outer road wheels.

vettejack
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,277 posts
Armorama: 1,254 posts
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2020 - 04:12 AM UTC
If affordability is not an issue, then go for Friulmodel individual metal tracks (be sure to pick the right ones for your T-34), or you could try Kaizen individual tracks which are plastic with metal rods for the assembly. There are a few more vendors out there with other T-34 options.
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,439 posts
Armorama: 1,980 posts
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2020 - 05:45 AM UTC
I'm with Robin throw the bloody things away and go with metal tracks,have a look at the Masterclub tracks there good.
youpey
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 528 posts
Armorama: 468 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 - 03:21 AM UTC
Thanks for the advice. On the tamiya kit I'm doing now I have glued the tracks first.

I know I'm in the minority because I dislike the individual links and prefer the rubber tracks.
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 3,098 posts
Armorama: 1,236 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 - 04:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I know I'm in the minority because I dislike the individual links and prefer the rubber tracks.

I am in that minority too Mike. Been using them since the 70s so they are just what I am used to working with. Yep, it is the old dog new tricks situation.

Thanks,
Randy
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 - 05:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the advice. On the tamiya kit I'm doing now I have glued the tracks first.

That "minority" is larger than you think

Cheers / Robin
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 - 06:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

That "minority" is larger than you think

Cheers / Robin

For simplicity, vinyl tracks can't be beat, been using them for decades.

For realism and detail indy links are the way to go.

There are several tricks for installation that I've used over the years and some are listed here. One of my faves is in case you have to mount and glue the idler and drive sprocket. You leave off either the front or rear road wheel, fit the track and then install the wheel. And I always test fit the track before buttoning up a hull in case I need to adjust the suspension to get realistic sag.
Panzer_Modeler
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 419 posts
Armorama: 217 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 - 07:10 AM UTC
I agree with that. Thats what I always do especially when there is a poly cap.
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 - 09:22 AM UTC
I made up my mind when the tracks of some Italeri Sherman forced the first and last bogie to lift the first and last roadwheel. It looked as if the tank was driving across a deep ditch. I glued the bogies in place and got the track in place. Six months later I found the tank lying on its side in the display cabinet. The track had snapped under the center bogie and the force stored in that springy stuff flipped the tank on its side, as if an anti tank mine had detonated under the center bogie ...
Right then and there I realised that "rubber" bands wasn't for me, especially after taking a look at Italeris Pz I and comparing the strength of the suspension with the springyness of the track.
Indy-links can be irritating but I prefer that over the problems with the "rubber" bands (even those that are not made of Dreadful Stuff).

Call me a masochist if you like

/ Robin
 _GOTOTOP