_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
DEF or Legend for a straight M60 kitbash?
jstarn
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 80 posts
Armorama: 74 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 - 08:42 AM UTC
Which is the more accurate turret for a kitbashed straight M60?
Legend or DEF?

Can't tell all that much from looking at the pictures on their websites. Legend seems to have that 'point' on the right rear, but its hard to tell if the DEF one does.

Quality of molding...one better than the other?

All opinions welcome.

Thanks...
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 - 09:43 AM UTC
Both do very good quality castings, but I always lean toward Legend since I've done so much work for them. Plus I happen to have their M60 turret. It looks great, although I can't compare it to DEF since I don't have one. I can tell you it's light years ahead of AEF Designs, which I also have. But then, you could drop a blob of putty on the floor and it would more resemble an M60 then AEF's stuff.
SWATdoc
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 147 posts
Armorama: 138 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 - 02:48 PM UTC
Hello Joe,

I have found the Legend, DEF and Chesapeake M60 turrets to be very close in quality. In my view, the DEF product is a bit more crisp overall. Another one that you may look into is the one offered by MR Models (MRModellbau).

Respectfully,

Allen
GTDeath13
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 921 posts
Armorama: 919 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 - 08:19 PM UTC
DEF because of the metal barrel, guality of castings, ease of cleanup, searchlight and t97 tracks included in their set.

I can take some photos of the def set if you want.
jstarn
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2020 - 02:54 AM UTC
Thank you, gentlemen.

Appreciate the input, but it looks like it's not a question of choice... can't find a DEF kit anywhere.

Looking for the 35025, only one their website show as in production, because I have several sets of tracks.

So, Legend it is, I guess.

RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2020 - 03:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thank you, gentlemen.

Appreciate the input, but it looks like it's not a question of choice... can't find a DEF kit anywhere.

Looking for the 35025, only one their website show as in production, because I have several sets of tracks.

So, Legend it is, I guess.

Umm, I found two in Germany, totally reliable vendor.
I have been getting my fixes from them for years:
https://www.modellbau-koenig.de/Fahrzeuge/Militaer-1-35/Umbausaetze/Sonstige/M60-Patton-Conversion-set

Maybe there is someone else who needs a set of tracks ...

Cheers / Robin
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2020 - 03:08 AM UTC
That's not exactly a bad thing. As I said, I have not seen the DEF offering, but a turned barrel is not always the best thing. (I always smile when someone inquires about a metal barrel whenever a new kit is announced) Turned barrels can be a nice addition or upgrade if they have the correct details, which are often impossible to replicate on a lathe and need to be supplemented with PE parts. An example would be bolt detail on the front of a bore evacuator. And have they taken appropriate steps to machine additional details? Again, going back to the bore evacuator, many companies leave out the disassembly notches that are cut into it. Some companies do rifled barrels, some do not. Some do a very poor job of it and you'd be better off upgrading your plastic barrel with some old school On The Mark barrel rifling. Also, it's impossible to put a weld down the axis of a bore evacuator. The end welds yes, if they think about it.

Having said all that, a resin barrel offers you most of those details (perhaps not the rifling) with a minimal number of parts. About the only issue you have to be concerned with is warping, which I have not encountered with any Legend barrels. I think most of them are cast with a rod in them.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2020 - 03:19 AM UTC

Barrel à la DEF
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,696 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2020 - 04:41 AM UTC
Now I have barrel envy.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2020 - 04:59 AM UTC
That seems to be the best of both worlds regarding metal vs. resin. I think I see the weld line on the bore evacuator in the second photo.
jstarn
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2020 - 05:37 AM UTC
Robin...I've seen pictures, but thanks. And thanks for the link to Modellbau-Koenig, but with shipping, more than I can afford.

Bob...metal,resin, combination, I have no peferences for barrels, really.

I will be comparing everything against the CMD turret I had...I believe it to be the best of the best.
 _GOTOTOP