_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Postage questions,
knewton
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,217 posts
Armorama: 1,092 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 - 06:28 PM UTC
Ok, I ordered a few items from an online store in Australia, no big deal when I live in New Zealand. I was informed it was on the way 16 April. As at today’s date, it is still at Melbourne airport.

And, I went to order a bayonet from a militaria a store in England... only to be informed Royal Mail does not ship weapons whatsoever. Yet I received a Swiss bayonet in the post last week.

What can I do to move these things along, and get the bayonet I’m looking for?

RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 - 10:51 PM UTC
The package stuck in Melbourne will probably be stuck there until the covid-19 pandemic clears a bit. Could be an issue with available space for air cargo.

The Royal Mail issue could possibly be solved by using another shipper from the UK, I think Royal Mail has some competitors. If that fails maybe you have some contact in the UK who could ship it hidden inside a metal pipe, customs declared as an iron pipe product sample or maybe bring it to France and ship it from there.

Royal Mail seems to accept sharp objects if suitably packaged but they have restrictions on weapons. It would be possible to ship a razor sharp 10 inch kitchen knife but a semi dull 6 inch bayonet gets stopped ...

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/mail/uk-what-can-i-send
" Weapons

(including Section 5 firearms, CS gas and pepper sprays, flick knives and other knives that are banned under UK laws, tasers and stun guns)"

Since you were able to buy it I assume that it does not get caught up in these rules:
https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives

I'm happy I don't live in the UK ....

/ Robin
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 - 11:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What can I do to move these things along, and get the bayonet I’m looking for?

LOL. Suggest trying to buy it from another country where there are fewer (or any) rules on these things. I definitely wouldn't suggest trying to circumvent the rules by getting someone to disguise it in some way. That could be a criminal offence.

Air freight from many places is generally slow or non-existent at the moment. I live near the Heathrow flight path and can tell you that's there's very few planes going in and out, like a few per day, instead of the normal one every 70 seconds.
It's very peaceful, except for all the people around here with Karcher pressure washers cleaning their patios every day.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2020 - 01:13 AM UTC
I've got several shipments stuck... One in HK, One in Australia, and I forget where #3 is ATM..... Air movement is almost non existent. and well, water is slow.....
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2020 - 02:05 AM UTC
UK law on weapons (designed mainly for war) is rather more restrictive than that of other countries. Technically, even if you came to the UK and bought the bayonet, it would be unlawful to then travel with it to the ferry to get to France where you might be able to post it legally...
jfeenstra
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 342 posts
Armorama: 342 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2020 - 05:34 AM UTC
You could try Parcel Force instead of Royal Mail. Not sure if they have the same restrictions. And I know they are getting things through - I've had two shipments from Parcel Force to Canada the last two months (and they took no more then 7 days) - I just never know whose going to take them when they arrive here! Usually it's Canada Post, but one came via FedEx.
knewton
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,217 posts
Armorama: 1,092 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2020 - 07:19 AM UTC
Thank you, gents; I’ll look at Parcel Force as an option.

What is all the more annoying is that I was in London for a week last December. Kicking myself now for not checking then. “One born every minute...”
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2020 - 07:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What is all the more annoying is that I was in London for a week last December. Kicking myself now for not checking then. “One born every minute...”

Try checking with the seller first. If it is a commercial vendor they will have to abide by the laws, rules & regulations in the UK. If they can sell it legally then the item should also be transportable. Older edged weapons were not banned (if I read the rules correctly) so a bayonet before a specific year should be OK even if a modern one falls faul of the rules.
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2020 - 07:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

ParcelForce is part of Royal Mail, not a separate company. It's just the bit of Royal Mail that competes with DHL, UPS etc. Same exclusion definitely applies.

grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2020 - 10:05 AM UTC
Hi;

"Yea"-- I think that even normal thing's that we took for granted are going to be A thing of the past !
Mail deliver's even from one State to another State here in the States is going to take Weeks's !! International shipments will take even longer. I placed an order from A vender in Australia and the shipmen was 15 to 35 Days; But now I don't think I will see it by December !

CHEERS; MIKE.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2020 - 11:14 AM UTC
I have a few modeling items pending for a couple of months now, plus some Covid protection which may arrive after the vaccine does!
 _GOTOTOP