_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
Zvezda: Sherman
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espańa
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2020 - 08:53 PM UTC

See the images of the test kit shared by Zvezda.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2020 - 01:41 AM UTC
Heck, I'll buy it for the boxart! It looks like a detailed model. M4 gurus, how does it look to you?
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2020 - 01:42 AM UTC
Dunno, but the basic hull on the build up looks suspiciously like the old Italeri M4A2/3 hull with the shallow casting and indifferent detail around the driver's hatches.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2020 - 03:51 AM UTC
Interesting choice of first Sherman entry! These were mainly used by USMC in the Pacific or by the USSR under Lend-Lease. But this is the "early" late M4A2, still dry-stowage with those applique armor patches on the hull. IIRC they went over to wet stowage after a few hundred so this is very niche. But I like the plastic tracks! Link & length I hope?

Hull isn't the same as Italeri or indeed Academy (just checked against pics of both), so it should be interesting to see what's in the box. They got the rear hull angle correct, but the cast plate with driver's hatches looks a bit flat and smooth...
phil2015
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 502 posts
Armorama: 325 posts
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2020 - 04:32 AM UTC
Nice. It would make sense that they would do a lend lease subject. I would definitely be interested in it as a lend lease vehicle.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2020 - 04:47 AM UTC
According to Sherman minutiae about 1,000 of this specific variation of the M4A2(75 47° hull dry storage) were built by Fisher.

The Russians and the Marines got them. Plenty of photos of these in service with the side applique.

The green pieces look all new, some grey bits look new but the cast area around the driver's hatch is very much like the old Italeri kit. I have two in my stash.

But this is a prototype kit so parts are subject to change and not all the details are in place in the mold. So casting marks and casting texture are probably both still to come.
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2020 - 06:15 AM UTC
Can we buy Zvezda kits here yet?
multibank17pdr
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 127 posts
Armorama: 119 posts
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2020 - 10:27 AM UTC
Thanks for the info !!!

It is very good news that Zvezda is still pushing up its M4A2.

Several details seem to indicate that this kit is quite different from Italeri or Academy kits if not completely new. Turrets for both of these old kits were missing the cheek armor on their right which is clearly apparent on this Zvezda prototype. And oval hatch on Academy was too large. Also the Corean kit only provided early VVSS with straight roller arm while Zvezda VVSS offer are with the proper up-raised arm.

As already mentioned, T-49 "Cleat" tracks look like new and very promising (especially if they are length and links like Tamiya do).

Of note also, are the small pop rivets on the inner rim of the pressed disk wheel (or did I imagine them ?). Even Tasca did not offer that in its time. To my knowledge, just Tamiya M10/Archer and Rye Field Sherman V have these rivets molded on.

I really look forward seeing more of this kit even if hull texture and casting numbers seem to miss as mentioned by Stephen and Tom. Also some weld seams look like recessed while they should be raised (maybe it is just the light ??) and most of bush guards for lamp/horn or periscope appear too thick... But like many Sherman-fans know, all these up-dates are easily available in plastic (Tasca), resin (TMD), 3D or photoetch. And usual "fair prices" from Zvezda should allow some extra expenses...

if we really need an excuse
panamadan
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 1,513 posts
Armorama: 1,449 posts
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2020 - 01:27 PM UTC
It looks to have the 76mm travel lock.
http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/sherman_types/m4a2/m4a2.html
Halaci
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 223 posts
Armorama: 215 posts
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2020 - 06:19 PM UTC
On Zvezda Facebook site there are a few more construction photos as well. The hull looks like the same construction as the Tasca kits, the front drive is unusual to my eyes. Maybe a little too big step between the hull and the drive?

Zvezda facebook gallery
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 3,778 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2020 - 02:21 AM UTC
I'm pleased that you Sherman-guys are interested/happy but I'd want to know just what this kit offers that isn't already out there; just what makes it desirable compared to the competition.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2020 - 03:09 AM UTC
Tasca doesn't make this one variant. Dragon did but only with US Marine markings.

The Italeri M4A2 Pacific doesn't have the exhaust for the M4A2 only the wading trunks. Also the suspension and turret aren't as good as this appears.

Any other late hull M4A2 is 76mm so you'd have to cross kit to get this version.

So it is essentially a variant that hasn't been done before. A Lend-lease M4A2 late hull 75mm.
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 3,778 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2020 - 09:47 AM UTC
Then it's a useful addition to the "Green Team". Thanks for the info.
multibank17pdr
Visit this Community
France
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2020 - 07:32 PM UTC
Thanks for the FB link... lower hull construction looks close to the excellent Tasca/Asuka choice.

And to add to Stephen comments, Academy also provides a late M4A2 75 mm (kit 13203) with the already mentionned limits of "too early" VVSS suspension and incomplete turret (cheek missing, too large oval hatch...). But construction is very easy and kit also offer wadding trunks.

Also Dragon thru Cyber hobby (kit n° 6239) did offer a late M4A2 75 mm as a "beute" tank in german colors on east front. More interesting is the addition of a set of "dish" wheels in this kit not included in their M4A2 'PTO' box.

Further more Dragon/Cyberhobby 47° hull is of the WET late type (eg : Narrow bullet splash guard at the front between the two oblique hatches). According to experts it is better suited for Russian lend Lease M4.

On the other side, as far as prototype's photos are readable, Zvezda will offer the earlier DRY 47° M4A2 hull ( large bullet splash guard at the front). Hence the inclusion of applique armor and additional US decals to the Russian versions as mentioned by Zvezda on FB.

Definitely a great addition to the Sherman range
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2020 - 07:58 PM UTC
I drew a blank regarding the Academy US Marines 75mm M4A2 since I tried to find one for years without success so I just blocked it from my mind.
multibank17pdr
Visit this Community
France
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2020 - 10:12 PM UTC
Steve, you're right. I should have considered the availability of this kit. Same for the Cyber hobby "beute", I guess...

Any way, Zvezda offer looks much more closer to the real thing and complete than the Academy ones (but the wadding trunks).

I've improved the Korean kit with proper VVSS from Dragon, a mix&tweak of Tasca M4A3/M4A2 upper hull parts and a turret from Formations Models (F097)... hopefully much of it came from the spare box and Academy kits was quite cheap in its time in Europe.
Shermania
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 537 posts
Armorama: 531 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2020 - 03:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Perhaps the 76mm version is due next? What if anything would need to change in order to make the wet 76? Just keep the applique off and what else?

The prospect of link and length track is exciting. I wish ALL manufacturers offered link and length option almost every sherman model build I’ve ever seen has simply built straight without any compression on the suspension parts. Heck even when I see them posed in odd positions modelers still don’t simulate the compression because it’s just not that easy of a thing to do

As for the travel lock, I understand not everyone has them in their stash but I have so many that it’s a none issue for me.
Shermania
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 537 posts
Armorama: 531 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2020 - 03:44 AM UTC
The more I think about it, Russia received so many more of the M4A2 with the drivers hoods (Like 3k, right?) and only 6-700 of these but you can‘t turn the mid M4A2 mold into a 76mm Emcha.

The logical explanation is that the 76mm emcha is next.
Removed by original poster on 06/03/20 - 20:23:52 (GMT).
multibank17pdr
Visit this Community
France
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2020 - 08:34 AM UTC

Sorry to be unable to drop the decals sheet from Zvezda (it is on their FB page) but among the four versions, one is definitely american as Caesar "C40" from C-company of the 2d Marine tank Battalion in Tinian is provided.

_GOTOTOP