_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
M60 tiedown points
Denimo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 186 posts
Armorama: 173 posts
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2020 - 05:25 AM UTC
Hi All

Just finished a Tamiya M60-A3 as a load for the HB C-HET and im confused by the front tow/tiedown points. Theyre the usual "triangular lug withe hole in," but theres a bracket hanging from each one and folding forward.

Question: do I use this lug as a tiedwn, or do I need to modify/ replace them?

Thanks Guys!
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2020 - 05:50 AM UTC
If you are talking about the one with a "T" on it, like below pic, it is used with a tow cable as shown.

You need to replace them with standard "U"-shaped shackles to be used with a chain.
Denimo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2020 - 06:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If you are talking about the one with a "T" on it, like below pic, it is used with a tow cable as shown.

You need to replace them with standard "U"-shaped shackles to be used with a chain.

Thanks Gino
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2020 - 07:10 AM UTC
Check out this link for all sorts of tie-down instructions. It specifically shows how to tie-down an M60-series tank on the M747 trailer.
panamadan
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 1,513 posts
Armorama: 1,449 posts
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2020 - 07:48 AM UTC
I’ve done this a few times and we removed the headlamps and the cables were attached at the lifting point behind them.
Dan
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2020 - 07:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I’ve done this a few times and we removed the headlamps and the cables were attached at the lifting point behind them.

Yup, that is basically what the pic on page 55 at the link shows.
Denimo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2020 - 04:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Check out this link for all sorts of tie-down instructions. It specifically shows how to tie-down an M60-series tank on the M747 trailer.

Gino, that is a brilliant resource. Is there any way for me to download it or for you to email it to me?
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2020 - 04:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gino, that is a brilliant resource. Is there any way for me to download it...

It should open as an on-line Word doc. In the upper right corner, there is an arrow with a line under it. That is the download button.
Denimo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2020 - 05:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

From the diagrams in Ginos manual, it looks like single vehicles are snugged up to the gooseneck and chained at the front. Cant see chains on the back but maybe these draw vertically from load to trailer and so are hidden from side view?

Also, these "hooks" on the Tamiya M60 are a mystery. Being slow with tech, I cant add a pic but on the front they are a triangular lug with a hinged, curved lever hanging out from the lug. Maybe brackets? The rear fittings are slightly different but still feature the hanging hook.

Looking at the box art , (Tamiya item 35140) the lugs are drilled out for shackles but I only picked that up after fitting them. Theyre part no B23 in the kit. Guess I could drill them but tying down from the lifting points behind the (removed) headlights has been suggested and would be convenient.

Apologies for any misused terms of reference here, Im a newbie to this aspect of the hobby.

Anyone know what those hooks are for?

Denimo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2020 - 05:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Gino, that is a brilliant resource. Is there any way for me to download it...

It should open as an on-line Word doc. In the upper right corner, there is an arrow with a line under it. That is the download button.

Excellent. Thankyou.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2020 - 05:29 AM UTC
Hi Denis,

The T-shaped hooks that Tamiya moulded onto the lugs as parts B23 (front) and C1 (rear) are "speed" hooks for using the tow cables in the field. In the old days of the D-shaped shackle that Gino posted a pic of, hooking up the tow cables required somebody to unscrew the bolt that passes through the ends (and the lug!), remove the shackle, pass it through the loop on the end of the cable, then re-fit it so the tank can be pulled to safety. The bolt and shackle are heavy lumps of metal, and nothing spoils your day as fast as dropping them in the mud when trying to do the hook-up! The T-shaped hook replaced these shackles near the end of WW2 because the tow-cable loop could be slipped around the horns of the "T" for a very fast hook-up without unbolting anything, which is important if the enemy are still taking pot-shots at you!

The lug itself only has holes, so any type of shackle or hook can be put on as needed, or even removed to leave the lug "empty". (Tamiya moulded the hooks on because it's easier when trying to keep the total parts-count low...)

(And those D-shackles are still pretty common engineering equipment, as they do an excellent job. Just not so much on a tank in battle...)

Hope this helps!
Denimo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2020 - 05:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Denis,

The T-shaped hooks that Tamiya moulded onto the lugs as parts B23 (front) and C1 (rear) are "speed" hooks for using the tow cables in the field. In the old days of the D-shaped shackle that Gino posted a pic of, hooking up the tow cables required somebody to unscrew the bolt that passes through the ends (and the lug!), remove the shackle, pass it through the loop on the end of the cable, then re-fit it so the tank can be pulled to safety. The bolt and shackle are heavy lumps of metal, and nothing spoils your day as fast as dropping them in the mud when trying to do the hook-up! The T-shaped hook replaced these shackles near the end of WW2 because the tow-cable loop could be slipped around the horns of the "T" for a very fast hook-up without unbolting anything, which is important if the enemy are still taking pot-shots at you!

The lug itself only has holes, so any type of shackle or hook can be put on as needed, or even removed to leave the lug "empty". (Tamiya moulded the hooks on because it's easier when trying to keep the total parts-count low...)

(And those D-shackles are still pretty common engineering equipment, as they do an excellent job. Just not so much on a tank in battle...)

Hope this helps!

Hi Tom

It really does help. Thanks for explaining that, most useful.

HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2020 - 06:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

From the diagrams in Ginos manual, it looks like single vehicles are snugged up to the gooseneck and chained at the front. Cant see chains on the back but maybe these draw vertically from load to trailer and so are hidden from side view?

Not my manual, but the DoD's manual. When using the M747 trailer, only the front is tied down as is shown in the diagrams. Read pgs 48 and 52 and it explains how the vehicle is held in place in combination with the front tie downs, the gooseneck, and curbing blocks.
panamadan
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 1,513 posts
Armorama: 1,449 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2020 - 06:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

But you originally show the tow cables hooked up to the lower tow points.
And now that photo is gone...
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2020 - 06:40 AM UTC
Don't know why the original pic isn't showing, but it was not showing the vehicle tied down on a trialer. I was demonstrating the T-shaped "speed" hooks that Tom talked about above.

Edit: Found the pic that disappeared.
Denimo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2020 - 11:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Don't know why the original pic isn't showing, but it was not showing the vehicle tied down on a trialer. I was demonstrating the T-shaped "speed" hooks that Tom talked about above.

Edit: Found the pic that disappeared.

Ive learned some good info from you, Tom and co. To ice the cake, my 2 sets of tiedowns arrived from Accurate Armour today.

So, on we go. Im also trying to learn Imgur so I can post a pic or two.
 _GOTOTOP