_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
I need research help
Lada_Niva
Visit this Community
Drenthe, Netherlands
KitMaker: 177 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2020 - 04:31 AM UTC
Hello everyone,

Recently my order of the B1 Bis has delivered and I'm very happy that I'm now assembling the kit.
However, I want to do research for a next model building project in the meantime.
However, I want to do most of my research with books.
In the past I did a lot of searches on the internet, but they didn't offer the information that I wanted.
Also, I'm more enjoying it to read books for example.
My question is, how are you doing research using books?
How do you decide which books to buy?
How do you determine the subject that you want to research?
I'm wanting to buy books from Osprey Publishing, because they have a large offer and most of the things seem to be in one place.
I hope you are able to help me, because I have literally no idea where to start.
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2020 - 06:38 AM UTC
Hi;

It mite help us if you tell A lil/bet more info on your vehicle; B1/BIS Is this A Russian T-72B1 ??
As for Research, your Osprey's are A Good start !
Also any of the Hobby Magazines are another Good Start !!
Now this all depends on You yourself as to which kit to invest your Time & Money on ! Some times your reference material mite Cost you more than the kit you are Looking at. So you have to ask yourself, just How much do you want in put into your Subject ! Also it will depend on which type of Information that you are looking for, which should Tell You which are to research; Everybody has there own Ideas on what Works best for them; So it will take just A Lil/bit of Time to figure out what works best for you !!!

GOOD LUCK; MIKE.
Removed by original poster on 06/16/20 - 20:00:26 (GMT).
Headhunter506
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,575 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2020 - 08:05 AM UTC
It's a French tank.

afvaficionado
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 160 posts
Armorama: 159 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2020 - 08:15 AM UTC
Yes, definitely French, AKA Char B1 Bis.
There are a couple of 1/16th builds on going at present that might be of interest - https://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29964 - & - https://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29931 -

Mal
pjmurley
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 63 posts
Armorama: 52 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2020 - 08:19 AM UTC
There is a book by Steve Zaloga, who is a renown armour expert called "Panzer IV vs Char B1 Bis" Ifound it on ebay- have a look...
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,353 posts
Armorama: 3,121 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2020 - 09:37 AM UTC
Guys, I think the question is generically around what type of book series to buy, rather than books specific to the Char B1 bis:

Quoted Text

However, I want to do research for a next model building project in the meantime.

It is very difficult to help you with this due to the very wide range of subjects and how much detail you want. It also depends on if you have specific taste as to genre, period, country, etc.

Ideally, if you could advise what you consider your next couple of builds may be, and what sort of price range then more specific info can be given to you.

That said, the Osprey New Vanguard are a good general reference but if you really want to do some solid reading, you should consider books that are more detailed and have a more in depth level of information.

If you are interested in WW2 panzers and more detail as to variations during production, etc, I suggest you look at the Panzertracts series of books.

IDF vehicles SabInga Martin publications do a good series.

Depending on your budget and taste, there are books like 'Mr Churchill's Tank' which is excellent for Churchill tanks.

Really, it comes down to pick a subject, look for online reviews on modelling sites or other respected sites and make a decision from there.

CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2020 - 10:13 AM UTC
I would also look at Tankograd titles and the Images of War series from Pen and Sword. They are at least the books that jump at me when looking for affordable reference
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2020 - 01:09 PM UTC
Lots to be found here

http://www.chars-francais.net/2015/index.php/liste-chronologique/de-1930-a-1940?task=view&id=23

http://www.chars-francais.net/2015/index.php/classement-individuel/chars-b1-et-b1-bis

http://www.chars-francais.net/2015/index.php/engins-blindes/chars?task=view&id=6
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2020 - 01:26 AM UTC
Books are a lot like model kits. There are good highly detailed accurate ones with good photographs and there are ones that lack accuracy and good photographs. Books are expensive to make a mistake buying the wrong one. Books that were good 25 years ago are not so good now. I have all 3 Panzer Colors books and they were the rage at the time. Now no one really uses them anymore. There are far better references to be found. My best suggestion is that others have seen the current selection of reference and that like a kit you are interested in, ask the people on the forum about a specific set of references. If you were wanting resources on a panzer 4e, ask for material on a panzer 4e. You will get suggestions on good sources and some information on what to stay away from. This will save you some time and money. Tell them what type of information you are looking for production detail, unit histories, photo references, etc. I like resources that cover multiple versions of the same vehicle so I could use that book again on another kit. I also like books with lots of photographs of the vehicle in use so I also get help with weathering and damage due to use.
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2020 - 06:46 AM UTC
Yes, it is heavily dependent on what sort of books you want and what subjects.

There are lots of picture books (Concord, Squadron Signal etc.) but some are better than others in terms of caption accuracy - depends on the author’s knowledge of the subject matter but no author is free from error because they are all human.

For British stuff, David Fletcher (especially up to 1945) and Simon Dunstan are pretty reliable (the latter particularly for Centurion, a long term interest of his). WW2 German is Doyle, Jentz, Spielberger and their collaborators. Zaloga is very prolific on US and Soviet kit and does proper primary source research.

Personally I’d avoid most of the modelling mags as they contain very little historical material these days and it’s years since I saw a scale drawing in one. Mostly they are extended painting and finishing articles in my opinion and the historical content is either non-existent or lifted straight from the internet (sometimes even verbatim and without citation - the clue is when no author is credited for the article).

Asking for specifics (e.g. ‘I am interested in the markings used by 8th Hussars in Normandy during 1944’ or ‘Which versions of Panther did SS-PR.5 ‘Wiking’ use during WW2?’ will enable people to give you a more useful steer.
Lada_Niva
Visit this Community
Drenthe, Netherlands
KitMaker: 177 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2020 - 05:49 AM UTC
First of all I want to thank all of you for replying to my topic.
I have noted the names and other clues down on a piece of paper.
I'm understanding from your reply's that I need to be more specific, provide more details.
As one already mentioned, I think he did read the topic more thoroughly. But nevermind.
The question is more generic aimed, for doing research for future projects.
I don't really have a subject jet, I thought that I wanted to do research first and choose the topic based on the information gathered.
I'm really wanting to learn more about the combat history of the division where the vehicle belonged to.
I'm interested in knowing the most accurate combat history of the battle where the specific tank and division fought.
It would be really interesting to find out more about the production process and how the model would have evolved during time period.
I would like to know more about the camouflage they used.
And possibly more, I'm really wanting to dive deeper in the subjects that I want to build.
And to dive deeper in the subject and subsubjects of World War II that interests me so much.
I hope that I have provided enough details to you to help me ferther with this question.
I'am a bit late with replying, couldn't fit it in my schedule.
But for now, have a wonderful day and have fun with your own model making projects.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2020 - 06:31 AM UTC
Hi Lada Niva

Your question reminds me of the "Which Came First: The Chicken or the Egg?" debate :

You've got 2 options :

1) Choose a subject (for instance an inspiring period picture showing a specific vehicle you've came across online) then search for related reference books.

2) Gather WW2 reference books without being too discriminative (to cast a wide net), and just hope to came across an inspiring period picture showing a specific vehicle inside one of them....

In both cases you'll end up with a pile of books...

PS : I'd be inclined to choose option #1 if you ask me....

H.P.

_GOTOTOP