_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Civillian branded goods as stowage WW2
Vierville
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
KitMaker: 384 posts
Armorama: 372 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 20, 2020 - 05:33 AM UTC
Hi. This might be a strange question but does anyone know if civilllian branded goods were seen on allied tanks as stowage during WW2??I'm particularly thinking about the Normandy campaign.

The reason I ask is that there are a number of nice civillian stowage kits that have been released by miniart such as oil tins with Shell or Castrol logos and I was wondering if such tins would ever have made their way onto a tank or armoured vehicle.
Khouli
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 68 posts
Armorama: 68 posts
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2020 - 11:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi. This might be a strange question but does anyone know if civilllian branded goods were seen on allied tanks as stowage during WW2??I'm particularly thinking about the Normandy campaign.

The reason I ask is that there are a number of nice civillian stowage kits that have been released by miniart such as oil tins with Shell or Castrol logos and I was wondering if such tins would ever have made their way onto a tank or armoured vehicle.

I don't know for sure but I don't see any reason why not. Most military equipment was civilian produced and re-branded (the German Army even had Wermacht toilet paper!) but if you could 'liberate' civilian kit, you probably would have done.

I suppose a classic example would be crates of Coca cola in the American Army.

I wouldn't over do it, but certainly a few items here and there would enhance your kit I reckon.
ReluctantRenegade
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,300 posts
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2020 - 11:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm particularly thinking about the Normandy campaign.

I tend to think this was more common in the (very) early stages of the war, before the various industries transitioned from peacetime to wartime production. Lend-Lease goods arriving from mid 1941 further eliminated the need in such products.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2020 - 11:41 PM UTC
Normandy, 30 June 1944 :

H.P.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2020 - 03:04 AM UTC
What...the regimental band? There's this, too, but I don't think they brought the piano with them!

18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2020 - 05:34 AM UTC
The guy on the left found work years later posing for Monogram figures.
 _GOTOTOP