_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Is the newish tamiya Sherman the old tasca
youpey
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 528 posts
Armorama: 468 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2020 - 09:05 AM UTC
https://www.scalehobbyist.com/catagories/Military_Vehicles/us-m4a3e8-sherman-easy-eight-european-theater/TAM00035346/product.php?kw=Tamiya,sherman

Is the newish tamiya Sherman the old tasca? I read that online and not sure if its true
Invincible
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 148 posts
Armorama: 122 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2020 - 09:18 AM UTC
No, this is tamiya's own (very good) moulding. The kit you're thinking of is probably their firefly kit which is now pretty tricky to find
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2020 - 09:21 AM UTC
Short answer - no. It's Tamiya's own new tooling, but because it uses a similar "flat pack" design for the lower hull folks jump to conclusions.
warmonger
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 217 posts
Armorama: 117 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2020 - 12:56 PM UTC
That one is Tamiyas. They did put out Tasca's Easy 8 a couple years before that in Tamiya boxing (that's the one I have). I have Big T's M51, and their suspension is way easier to put together then Tasca's kit.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2020 - 01:20 PM UTC
The Tamiya/Tasca/Asuka version is #25175 I got one in the stash.
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2020 - 01:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

https://www.scalehobbyist.com/catagories/Military_Vehicles/us-m4a3e8-sherman-easy-eight-european-theater/TAM00035346/product.php?kw=Tamiya,sherman

Is the newish Tamiya Sherman the old Tasca? I read that online and not sure if its true

The current Easy 8 kit is all new, and available in WW2 and Korean War versions. Tamiya did recently offer Tasca's M4A3 with vertical volute suspension and 76mm gun for the 75th anniversary of the Battle of the Bulge, but Tasca's logo is also included on the box top. Tamiya added a set of their own figures as a bonus.
Tamiya has been reboxing a number of other companies' kits in recent years, but they are also pretty good about crediting the original manufacturer on the box.
Removed by original poster on 06/26/20 - 19:19:31 (GMT).
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2020 - 12:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have both of the Tamiya Easy Eight versions. The original Tamiya kit is much easier to assemble than the rebranded Tasca kit. I think the Tasca kit is more detailed but overengineered. Just my opinion.

Define what "overengineered" means to you, please.

Is it simply because you are happy with the Tamiya-standard level of detail you find the complexity required to give better detailed models unnecessary?

KL
GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Armorama: 2,693 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2020 - 02:56 PM UTC
The way to tell if it is a real Tamiya 1/35 Military Vehicle kit is the kit number. If it starts with "35", it's a Tamiya-designed kit. This applies to vehicle-only kits.

"25" kit numbers indicates it is an enhanced kit with either Tamiya extras or other kit manufacturer's parts. For some reason, Tamiya used a "25" kit number for the re-release of their Centurion Mk. III and M60A1 kits. I guess they didn't want to get modelers excited by using a "35" number for their "Golden Moldies".
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2020 - 06:14 AM UTC
The Tasca/Tamiya Sherman kit, are the figures new or something out of Tamiya's past? I have a high regard for the new Tamiya figs and if they're the new style it would be enough to get me to buy the kit.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2020 - 06:38 AM UTC
They are the old figures from the old Tamiya kit
Shermania
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 537 posts
Armorama: 531 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2020 - 07:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That one is Tamiyas. They did put out Tasca's Easy 8 a couple years before that in Tamiya boxing (that's the one I have). I have Big T's M51, and their suspension is way easier to put together then Tasca's kit.

I love both, the Tamiya suspension looks fine on the shelf but you don’t have the posing options that the tasca suspension allows. I recently built a Tasca jumbo with the depressed suspension towards the front and added some panda plastic tracks it looks amazing, you wouldn’t be able to replicate that with the Tamiya suspension.

I think over engineered is a bit strong and has a negative connotation, it’s definitely more complex to build but that complexity is justified due to the options it allows the modeller in posing the suspension.

I might take heat for saying this but what I consider an example of ever engineered is something like the modelkasten sherman tracks, I gave up on completing a set and used the rungs I made to dress up other sherman tanks as spare track seen slung on the glacis of many WW2 shermans. I also had the same thing happen with bronco workable tracks and there are probably modelers out there that’ll criticize me for using those as examples of over engineering but those tracks are more challenging to build than even DML sherman hull fit issues
Shermania
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 537 posts
Armorama: 531 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2020 - 07:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Is the newish tamiya Sherman the old tasca? I read that online and not sure if its true

No, it’s not the Tasca kit, it’s a 4-5 year old new tool Tamiya release, I recommend the scalemates website if you want to look up individual kit information, scalemates has saved me money in the past when I almost ordered something with new boxart thinking it was all new tooling.
joepanzer
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 803 posts
Armorama: 740 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2020 - 07:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

No, it’s not the Tasca kit, it’s a 4-5 year old new tool Tamiya release, I recommend the scalemates website if you want to look up individual kit information, scalemates has saved me money in the past when I almost ordered something with new boxart thinking it was all new tooling.

I'll second that. Scalemates provides links to reviews and kit history, as well as available aftermarket options.
Removed by original poster on 06/26/20 - 19:18:48 (GMT).
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2020 - 10:17 AM UTC
Question: Does the gun have an internal breach rendered in the turret? I don't need/want a full interior but IMHO every main gun should show a breach down thru the commander's hatch even with the figure in place. (I usually also add a como box and some wiring in the turret just to the commander's right side as well.)
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2020 - 11:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I have both of the Tamiya Easy Eight versions. The original Tamiya kit is much easier to assemble than the rebranded Tasca kit. I think the Tasca kit is more detailed but overengineered. Just my opinion.

Is it simply because you are happy with the Tamiya-standard level of detail you find the complexity required to give better detailed models unnecessary?

KL

Yes Kurt....I guess that is exactly what I mean. I think making something comprising 10 pieces when 3 would suffice is over-engineering. Building for me means escape and fun not tedious work. Like I said...just my opinion.

Everyone is entitled to enjoy their hobby in their own way.

So, to be clear, you think "making something comprising 10 pieces when 3 would suffice [to give the same level of detail as a Tamiya kit] is over-engineering." If 10 pieces are truly needed to give the higher level of detail that other modelers want, I don't think it warrants using the pejorative term "over-engineering" to describe it.

KL

joepanzer
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 803 posts
Armorama: 740 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2020 - 11:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

KL

Yes Kurt....I guess that is exactly what I mean. I think making something comprising 10 pieces when 3 would suffice is over-engineering. Building for me means escape and fun not tedious work. Like I said...just my opinion.

Dude, why did you bite?

TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2020 - 12:07 PM UTC
So yes Kurt, he agreed with you and he said it was his opinion.

I think you should not start something with someone who agreed with you. It might mistakenly seem to others like you just wanted to stir the pot.
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2020 - 02:31 PM UTC
I'm not "starting" anything. I just want it to be clear.

People use the terms "over-engineered" and "fiddly" as if there is some universal criteria in place and apply them qualitatively with respect to kits, blurring the objective and subjective. In reality, what the speakers almost uniformly mean is "more complex than I like." That's fine, but that's not a property of the kit; it's one person's preference.

KL

Removed by original poster on 06/26/20 - 19:20:23 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 06/26/20 - 19:21:10 (GMT).
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2020 - 02:14 AM UTC
OK, I asked what I thought was a straight forward modeling question and got no answer at all, but don't mind me.

Unfortunately I seem to have stepped into a pile of dog poop here that is more reminiscent of arguments I have had with my former wife.

Kurt, Jeff, guys, I apologize for butting in but I did ask what I thought was a fair modeling question that has nothing to do with over-engineering.

I admit I am being a bit short tempered here because last night I had a 2 hour "discussion" with my daughter that was like arguing with my ex-wife all over again and now I get on this site and appear to have stepped into it all over again.

Love you guys!
Happy Modeling!

p.s. Some kits ARE over-engineered with too many small and sometimes unnecessary parts. Some folks like this and some don't. I think that is one reason we come to this site; to get a heads up that helps us select the kits we might enjoy building and also helps us ward off those we wouldn't.

Best Regards
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2020 - 03:50 AM UTC
Thanks Anthony ! I was tempted but knowing it's Tamiya's old figures I'm gonna pass.
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2020 - 05:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

OK, I asked what I thought was a straight forward modeling question and got no answer at all, but don't mind me.

Unfortunately I seem to have stepped into a pile of dog poop here that is more reminiscent of arguments I have had with my former wife.

Kurt, Jeff, guys, I apologize for butting in but I did ask what I thought was a fair modeling question that has nothing to do with over-engineering.

The posts after your initial one were a continuation of previous discussion started before you joined in. Your question was not reflected in those discussions. The fact that somebody out there did not answer your question is not a reflection of those discussions.

I don't know the answer to your question. The fact that you are not specific as to which kit you are asking about (The Asuka rebox? The Tamiya home-grown kit?) certainly doesn't help you getting an answer. If I had that question my first action - before even asking in a post - would be to look on Scalemates or HobbySearch for the directions to the kit I was interested in. In my experience the instructions would be adequate to provide the answer. I can generally get an answer that way in much less time that it would take to write a post and send it adrift, waiting for someone to answer. Even more importantly, I can trust what I learn on my own much more and I have less concern that the answer I get is a mistake. For example, as I said, you weren't specific as to which kit you were looking at. What if the person posting gave you an answer about the other kit?

So long story short, don't get bothered that you didn't get an answer, and you may be better off you didn't get one anyway.

KL
 _GOTOTOP