_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
kettenkrad pulling ability
namengr
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 332 posts
Armorama: 328 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2020 - 02:30 PM UTC
Evening all, I've been thinking about a possible project, but I'm not sure if it is a reality or not. My idea was to have a DAK kubelwagen stuck in the sand and a kettenkrad attempting to pull it free. My question is would this be a possibility or would the Kettenkrad be to under powered for the task? Thanks for listening. Wayne
AgentG
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 1,095 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2020 - 03:00 PM UTC
They were used as aircraft tugs, so I don't think a Kubelwagen would have been a problem.
AgentG
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 1,095 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2020 - 03:06 PM UTC
griffontech
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 237 posts
Armorama: 231 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2020 - 03:11 PM UTC
Might not be feasible.
Quick google search has the Kettenkrad with a tow capacity of 450kg.
I've seen a ton of photos of the Ket towing aircraft, so I don't know how this is feasible?
A Kubel weighs approx 715 kg empty. Theoretically it shouldn't be a problem. Include the scenario of the vehicle being stuck in the mud and it becomes a little more difficult.
Although, the pic in the attached linked seems to think the little tractor can do it.

http://www.members.iinet.net.au/~dgrev/dhmg/kettenkrad07.html
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2020 - 05:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Might not be feasible.
Quick google search has the Kettenkrad with a tow capacity of 450kg.
I've seen a ton of photos of the Ket towing aircraft, so I don't know how this is feasible?
A Kubel weighs approx 715 kg empty. Theoretically it shouldn't be a problem. Include the scenario of the vehicle being stuck in the mud and it becomes a little more difficult.
Although, the pic in the attached linked seems to think the little tractor can do it.

http://www.members.iinet.net.au/~dgrev/dhmg/kettenkrad07.html

You can pull almost anything with a lighter capacity vehicle, as long as the surface you’re pulling it on allows it. That’s why a circus strongman can pull a wagon full of lions using only his teeth, and a bit of traction. It’s when you add in uneven terrain, uphill/downhill, or mires where a light weight vehicle won’t do the job. That’s not applicable in the case of airfields or aircraft carriers which have hardened concrete, metal, wood or dirt surfaces. So, to answer the question, a Kettenkrad is less likely to be able to pull a Kubelwagen out of a ditch than it is to pull an aircraft over a hardened runway or apron.
VR, Russ
tyggar
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 4 posts
Armorama: 4 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2020 - 05:35 PM UTC
Found this on www.owningtanks.com:

Due to the adequate power of the engine, coupled to a transfer box with a very low gear ratio in first gear, a Kettenkrad can pull far greater loads than what its size would indicate. Of course there is a downside to this and that is people will over do it. There are even photos of Kettenkrads being used to try and pull bogged tanks out. War does have an immediacy to it that civilian life does not, so it is understandable that this sort of abuse occurs.
The result will usually be a gearbox failure, burnt out clutch, heat affected flywheel (cracking) and other component failure etc.
Farmers seem to be particularly fond of using Kettenkrads to pull out tree stumps, a job for which they were never intended. As the vehicle does not have a chassis, body distortion or the ripping out of the tow hooks can occur.

tyggar
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 4 posts
Armorama: 4 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2020 - 05:40 PM UTC
https://gallery.kitmaker.net/data/500/117431.jpg
namengr
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 332 posts
Armorama: 328 posts
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2020 - 01:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

https://gallery.kitmaker.net/data/500/117431.jpg

Thanks for the comments and I really like this picture. My idea was that if stuck in loose sand off the side of a road they might be able to pull them out. Wayne
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2020 - 02:51 AM UTC
In the pic, the Kettenkrad obviously isn't doing ALL the work; there are several guys also pushing!
caragd
Visit this Community
Torino, Italy
KitMaker: 50 posts
Armorama: 43 posts
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2020 - 02:58 AM UTC
Even it never should pull a kubelwagen, in case of need or urgency every vehicle able to negotiate mud was used even if out of the technical specifications like in this case is towing an Horch kfz15

Dario
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2020 - 03:29 AM UTC
Bear in mind the towed vehicle is also spinning its wheels trying to get traction, so the K-rad and the pushing soldiers aren't having to do all the work! Nobody bothers to read the manual for max pulling specs when the chips are down...
 _GOTOTOP