_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
What Colour
kefffy
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 113 posts
Armorama: 96 posts
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2020 - 04:50 AM UTC
Looking for ideas on colours for British Army dpm, 1970-80s. Can you suggest a manufacture for the paint and numbers, i cant get on with Tamiya paints, so other suggestions are greatly received, many thanks
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2020 - 07:08 AM UTC
Keith,

Sad old git that I am, I still major using enamels. For a decent DPM, and you'll be aware that the colours changed not least as the British Army steadily and surely embraced cheaper and cheaper types, I use for what I call the early years (say 70 - 85) the following:

Base colour - Humbrol 80 Grass Green.

Sort of sand-type patches - Humbrol 72 Khaki Drill.

Red/brown patches - Humbrol 98 Matt Chocolate.

Black overprint - well I used just that, Black; the colour never seemed to fade as much as the others, or at least not in my experience, and dear God my kit was dhobied to death(!) If it appears too stark then just use a very dark grey.

To tone all this in, depending on what type of effect I'm after, I use a Humbrol wash of "Dust" although I remove most once applied; it depends if I'm after a "Barracks" effect or a "Been on exercise for 3 bloody weeks" effect.

'Hope this helps!

Brian

RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2020 - 07:38 AM UTC
I think I used the same except that for the sand, I found what Humbrol intended to be Dunkelgelb matched most closely. I can’t remember what it was called but it in was the Authentics range when I last bought a tin of it. I found it was a much more convincing DPM colour than a Dunkelgelb anyway.
 _GOTOTOP