_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Review
Italeri: Italeri M4A1 Sherman
ColinEdm
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,355 posts
Armorama: 1,229 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 01, 2020 - 04:47 AM UTC

Colin Key shares an In-Box review of Italeri''s 2019 re-release of its 1977 M4A1 Sherman.

Read the Review

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 3,778 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 01, 2020 - 09:47 AM UTC
Why, for the love of all things plastic, would I want a forty-three year-old kit of ANYTHING? Seriously, we're spoiled with super kits of almost anything so why would anyone want an old kit that needs work? Not for me, I've got more interesting stuff on my mind than fixing or updating dogs.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 01, 2020 - 10:30 AM UTC
Well Frank, your total non intention of buying this kit is totally understandable, but, to be quite honest, most of us couldn't care less. I wouldn't buy it either, mostly because I already have a few of the original issue, the one with the vinyl tracks that behaved as if they had been reinforced with a thin strip of spring steel but I digress.
A review, any review of any subject (restaurants, movies, travelling destinations, countries, whatever) hopefully gives the reader/viewer/consumer enough information to make an informed decision about whether to buy or not to buy the reviewed object.
Some of the readers of this particular review may not have had any experience of the original kit and might think that it is a new kit, up to todays standards. Those readers will now have been informed about what is really hiding inside that box. This might be crucial information for someone looking for an out of the box model of this specific version of M4A1. The M4A1 by Tasca/Asuka has a different hull (slope of glacis) and Dragon nr 6083 might be hard to find (one on Amazon for US $59:99 + shipping ...). A modeller who wants a model of this variant of Sherman might be tempted to get this Italeri kit since it is cheaper than the (OOP???) Dragon kit. Those who read this review have now been informed.
One important point to remember is that not all reviews are shameless marketing blurbs
MrCompletely
Visit this Community
Saitama-ken, Japan / 日本
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 120 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 01, 2020 - 03:28 PM UTC
For one thing, not everyone can afford the latest and greatest. Not that I'd buy it myself either; in fact, I haven't been able to buy ANY model for about a year now due to my financial status. Some of us just have to make the best we can, with what we can afford; no metal tracks and barrels, no P.E., no piles of resin stowage, no 3D printed crew.
vettejack
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,277 posts
Armorama: 1,254 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 02, 2020 - 08:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well Frank, your total non intention of buying this kit is totally understandable, but, to be quite honest, most of us couldn't care less. I wouldn't buy it either, mostly because I already have a few of the original issue, the one with the vinyl tracks that behaved as if they had been reinforced with a thin strip of spring steel but I digress.
A review, any review of any subject (restaurants, movies, travelling destinations, countries, whatever) hopefully gives the reader/viewer/consumer enough information to make an informed decision about whether to buy or not to buy the reviewed object.
Some of the readers of this particular review may not have had any experience of the original kit and might think that it is a new kit, up to todays standards. Those readers will now have been informed about what is really hiding inside that box. This might be crucial information for someone looking for an out of the box model of this specific version of M4A1. The M4A1 by Tasca/Asuka has a different hull (slope of glacis) and Drogon nr 6083 might be hard to find (one on Amazon for US $59:99 + shipping ...). A modeller who wants a model of this variant of Sherman might be tempted to get this Italeri kit since it is cheaper than the (OOP???) Dragon kit. Those who read this review have now been informed.
One important point to remember is that not all reviews are shameless marketing blurbs

While both you, and Frank, are right, I'm sorta kinda in the middle camp. For the beginning modeler, Italeri's M4A1 is a good, inexpensive start. The experienced guy can use it as a mule for trying new paint techniques for example. As for me, todays' technology 'prevents' me to ever purchase one again. The only unbuilt Sherman's in my collection now is a Dragon M50 and the Tamiya M51...and both pumped up with aftermarket when ready to build. Compared to what I have, with what Italeri offers for Shermans, is night and day. I will not ever begrudge a modeler his choice, whether its a beginning, or limited funds. I started out there 50 years ago with Italeri's M4...and it was good for its time. Over time I valued both of your opinions when it came to kits, aftermarket, techniques, etc. My skills now take me to a different level: better engineered kits, better choices, better purchasing power. When I judge at the local, regional, national, or international level, and an Italeri M4, and an Asuka M4 is on the same table, in the same category, the one that places will always be the better quality build, and not because it might be the most expensive kit. Quite the double edge sword, I must say. To build good or build expensive/modern technology? My 2 cents.
ColinEdm
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,355 posts
Armorama: 1,229 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 02, 2020 - 10:04 AM UTC
I must say that for a 40+ year old kit it is going together quite well. Very good fit on the parts in general, although some of the attachment points are rather nebulous. 2 days and pretty much finished with a minimum of drama. I would say this is a very good beginners kit if the price point is right. Haven't started on the figures yet though...
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 02, 2020 - 11:19 AM UTC
Hmmm...a turned barrel, PE light guards, tools by Formations, lots of stowage, and LOTS of heavy weathering could make a "silk purse out of a sow's ear". The Masterbox figures (101'st Airborne?) are a plus.
 _GOTOTOP