_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Commonwealth Shermans query
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2020 - 03:32 AM UTC
I need a good idea of the standard type of Shermy used by the 7th and 9th RTR during late June,early July in Normandy. The standard gun tank and also the Firefly.
Any tips?
TIA guys,
J
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2020 - 04:38 AM UTC
Jerry,

I believe both regiments (part of 31 Tk Bde) were Churchill equipped regiments.

Brian
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2020 - 05:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jerry,

I believe both regiments (part of 31 Tk Bde) were Churchill equipped regiments.

Brian

OK thanks. I knew they had chruchies but I thought shermies as well?
J
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2020 - 08:05 AM UTC
Jerry,

Whilst some of the Independent Brigades had Shermans and some Churchills, there was no "mix & match" that I'm aware of (save 79 Armd Div which is a whole different ball game). As the campaign in NW Europe went on of course there was some extensive reorganization and even re-equipment but the composite Regiments (of the Brigades) were either one or the other. Both had of course a Recce Troop (Platoon) of Stuarts and say a couple of other anomalies such as AA tanks etc; when you think about it this makes sense considering the logistic difficulties of such an organization were the tanks to be of differing types within the Brigade, the Stores Company alone would have been creaking at the seams let alone the REME expertise required.

Brian
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2020 - 09:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jerry,

Whilst some of the Independent Brigades had Shermans and some Churchills, there was no "mix & match" that I'm aware of (save 79 Armd Div which is a whole different ball game). As the campaign in NW Europe went on of course there was some extensive reorganization and even re-equipment but the composite Regiments (of the Brigades) were either one or the other. Both had of course a Recce Troop (Platoon) of Stuarts and say a couple of other anomalies such as AA tanks etc; when you think about it this makes sense considering the logistic difficulties of such an organization were the tanks to be of differing types within the Brigade, the Stores Company alone would have been creaking at the seams let alone the REME expertise required.

Brian

All true and very good points. I must be thinking of some of the follow on units sent in as the first relief units under Montys' very complicated relief system to always keep fresh troops at the tip. Good idea but it played hell in this case with the very constricted front and few north/south roads. Choke points like rubble strewn Cheux also didn't help.
Or the flanking actions around Raurey. I am sure they had Shermans in those units and then later across the Odon and hill 112.
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2020 - 09:29 AM UTC
Any Shermans around Hill 112 would probably have been from 4 Armd Bde; re the battles for the Odon the Armd Bdes would have been allocated as 2nd Army saw fit to accompany the Infantry divisions involved (I admit I haven't studied the order of battle for these in depth) - which after all, is what they were for.

Brian
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2020 - 04:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Any Shermans around Hill 112 would probably have been from 4 Armd Bde; re the battles for the Odon the Armd Bdes would have been allocated as 2nd Army saw fit to accompany the Infantry divisions involved (I admit I haven't studied the order of battle for these in depth) - which after all, is what they were for.

Brian

The more I learn about the vagueries of the British Army the more I realize how clueless I am.
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2020 - 08:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Brian

The more I learn about the vagueries of the British Army the more I realize how clueless I am.

That's alright Jerry, that's what I'm here for - yet I don't know everything(!) - but I can probably unravel a fair bit.

Brian
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 04, 2020 - 11:56 PM UTC
Jerry,

Thinking it over I thought perhaps I should be a bit more helpful re Sherman equipped units of the 2nd British Army; therefore I'll list the Brigades that were equipped with Shermans. This is not though to include the 3 x Armoured Divisions (as they are well known enough perhaps) which had Shermans and Cromwells (ie Guards Armoured, 7th Armoured and 11th Armoured). So, the Independent Brigades - and I've included those Churchill ones just for completion:

4th Armoured Brigade- Shermans
6th Guards Tank Brigade - Churchills
8th Armoured Brigade - Shermans (DD)
27th Armoured Brigade - Shermans (DD)
31st Army Tank Brigade - Churchills
33rd Armoured Brigade - Shermans (later in the NW European campaign Buffaloes and Kangaroos)
34th Army Tank brigade - Churchills

Of course, the Canadians were part of 21st Army Group in the guise of 1st Canadian Army, consisting of 2 x Corps - 1st and 2nd Canadian Corps.

1st Corps comprised:

1st Armoured Brigade
1st Infantry Division
5th Armoured Division

2nd Corps comprised:

2nd Armoured Brigade
2nd Infantry Division
3rd Infantry Division
1st Polish Armoured Division (from Aug 44)
4th Armoured Division (from Aug 44)

As listed there were 2 x Independent Armoured Brigades (in similar fashion to the British) - 1st and 2n.

As far as I know these were practically all Sherman equipped, though I'm more than happy to be checked on that by those WW2 experts. The Polish Division is a different kettle of fish and I don't know enough about them; whilst primarily Sherman-equipped I know they had some Challengers (Tank Destroyers) come the war's end.

So Jerry, if you wish to model some Commonwealth Shermans the foregoing might give you a steer.

Brian

RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2020 - 12:01 AM UTC
How to make ones life as a modeler difficult ....
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2020 - 12:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

How to make ones life as a modeler difficult ....

Sorry Robin - nothing's ever straight forward in the British Army - and despite the pruning and endless defence cute probably more so today!
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2020 - 12:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I need a good idea of the standard type of Shermy used by the 7th and 9th RTR during late June,early July in Normandy. The standard gun tank and also the Firefly.
Any tips?
TIA guys,
J

Both were Churchill equipped Regiments as indicated in the post above, the Only Shermans would have been at brigade HQ level and would be OP tanks if at all.

For Hil l112 battles 4 AB was involved and the Ruaray battles were 8AB (Who landed on D-Day with mainbly M4A1 DD in two Squadrons and M4A2 in the Other). They quickly requipped with M4A2 - Sherman III. 27 AB was the same as 8 and disbanded early Aug 44 wiht some regiments going to other AB such as 8 and 33.
The Polish were equipped similar to the UK 11 and Gds AD with an AB with Mainly M4a4 and a Recce regiment of Cromwells.
There were two sorts of Independant bdes - A Tank Bde (Infantry Support - Churchills) and an Armoured Brigade (Shermans) equipped along similar lines to the AB in the Armoured Divisions .
For Sherman Units of the British In Normandy
4AB - M4A1 - Sher II
8 AB - M4A2 plus M4A1 DD
27AB - As above
33 AB M4 0- Sherman 1(Including a large number of 75mm Hybrid)
Fireflies were all initially Vc in the Independant Bdes but later (mid July) replacements could be 1c Hydrid or Welded

11 and Guards had M4A4 variants but a lot of M4 based Welded hull Fireflies were with 11AD from very early on in the campaign.
Al
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 06, 2020 - 01:29 AM UTC
Wow! Thanks Gents,
Now we are getting into the real nitty gritty. I appreciate all the kind effort to help this Commonwealth troops neophyte here.
I am slowly coming to grips with the Infantry kit and maybe I can chip away at the armoured bits next.
J
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 06, 2020 - 01:46 AM UTC
Always glad to help Jerry; I must just stress I'm no WW2 Ninja but during my own experience I served at every level of HQ from Brigade through to Army Group which helps unravel some of the organizational quirks. I also knew the "old" British Staff system ie before they adopted the NATO version and that also helps on occasion.

'Look very forward to see what you come up with in your next project.

Brian
JohnTapsell
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 227 posts
Armorama: 226 posts
Posted: Monday, July 06, 2020 - 02:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

27 AB was the same as 8 and disbanded early Aug 44 wiht some regiments going to other AB such as 8 and 33.

4AB - M4A1 - Sher II
8 AB - M4A2 plus M4A1 DD
27AB - As above
Fireflies were all initially Vc in the Independant Bdes but later (mid July) replacements could be 1c Hydrid or Welded

Al

Just for clarity, unlike 8th Armoured Brigade, 27th Armd Bde only had one DD-equipped regiment (13/18 Hussars). Both Staffs Yeomanry and East Riding Yeomanry landed on D-Day with standard Sherman III/Sherman Vc combos.

After the Brigade was disbanded, Staffs Yeo returned to the UK in August 1944 to commence their DD training.

With regards to DDs, 13/18 Hussars were equipped with Sherman V DDs rather than Sherman II DDs.

John

marcb
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,244 posts
Armorama: 1,226 posts
Posted: Monday, July 06, 2020 - 02:52 AM UTC
https://www.amazon.com/British-Tanks-Normandy-Ludovic-Fortin/dp/2352502047
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 06, 2020 - 03:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

27 AB was the same as 8 and disbanded early Aug 44 wiht some regiments going to other AB such as 8 and 33.

4AB - M4A1 - Sher II
8 AB - M4A2 plus M4A1 DD
27AB - As above

Al

Just for clarity, unlike 8th Armoured Brigade, 27th Armd Bde only had one DD-equipped regiment (13/18 Hussars). Both Staffs Yeomanry and East Riding Yeomanry landed on D-Day with standard Sherman III/Sherman Vc combos.

After the Brigade was disbanded, Staffs Yeo returned to the UK in August 1944 to commence their DD training.

With regards to DDs, 13/18 Hussars were equipped with Sherman V DDs rather than Sherman II DDs.

John

Not to muddy the waters (and no pun intended) but as I understand it only 2 squadrons per DD regiment were actually converted to the DD role, the 3rd squadron being landed by Rhino ferry/LCT and waded in. Is this in fact correct?

Sorry for a bit of a thread hijack Jerry.

Brian
JohnTapsell
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 227 posts
Armorama: 226 posts
Posted: Monday, July 06, 2020 - 10:32 AM UTC
Hi BRian,

Correct - only two Sqns in each regt had DD tanks.

In 13/18 Hussars, A and B Sqns were DD-equipped. C Sqn operated Sherman III that came ashore from LCTs. However in other regiments the allocation was different. In the Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry (8th AB) for example, it was B and C Sqns that had the DDs whilst A Sqn retained the Sherman III.

13/18 Hussars is a curious case. A and B Sqns were both organised into the 'old' 5 Troops of 3 tanks (plus an HQ Troop) structure. C Sqn however was organised into the 'new' 4 Troops of 4 Tanks (plus the HQ Troop) structure. Both Staffs Yeo and East Riding Yeo in the same brigade had already transferred fully to the new four Troop structure.

Within 13/18H, C Sqn had four Fireflies (which they chose to assign as the fourth tank in each Troop) whereas A and B Sqns had only one Firefly each for much of June and into July.

Even more confusing is that the two A and B Sqn Fieflies were not listed in the regimental War Establishment for D-Day but were crewed by 'First Reinforcement' personnel from 13/18H. They actually landed just behind the DD tanks. They were 'concrete buster' units assigned to the Royal Navy (I kid you not) and their role was to snipe at specific concrete bunkers from their landing craft as they were approaching the beaches. As soon as they came ashore they reverted to 13/18 Hussars control.

On Juno Beach, each of the Canadian DD Regts also had a pair of concrete buster Fireflies but no such assets were assigned to Gold Beach (Gold was under the contol of a different Corps and was a late addition to the D-Day plans).

John
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 06, 2020 - 10:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi BRian,

Correct - only two Sqns in each regt had DD tanks.

In 13/18 Hussars, A and B Sqns were DD-equipped. C Sqn operated Sherman III that came ashore from LCTs. However in other regiments the allocation was different. In the Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry (8th AB) for example, it was B and C Sqns that had the DDs whilst A Sqn retained the Sherman III.

13/18 Hussars is a curious case. A and B Sqns were both organised into the 'old' 5 Troops of 3 tanks (plus an HQ Troop) structure. C Sqn however was organised into the 'new' 4 Troops of 4 Tanks (plus the HQ Troop) structure. Both Staffs Yeo and East Riding Yeo in the same brigade had already transferred fully to the new four Troop structure.

Within 13/18H, C Sqn had four Fireflies (which they chose to assign as the fourth tank in each Troop) whereas A and B Sqns had only one Firefly each for much of June and into July.

Even more confusing is that the two A and B Sqn Fieflies were not listed in the regimental War Establishment for D-Day but were crewed by 'First Reinforcement' personnel from 13/18H. They actually landed just behind the DD tanks. They were 'concrete buster' units assigned to the Royal Navy (I kid you not) and their role was to snipe at specific concrete bunkers from their landing craft as they were approaching the beaches. As soon as they came ashore they reverted to 13/18 Hussars control.

On Juno Beach, each of the Canadian DD Regts also had a pair of concrete buster Fireflies but no such assets were assigned to Gold Beach (Gold was under the contol of a different Corps and was a late addition to the D-Day plans).

John

John,

Many thanks for that; very clear and informative.

Brian
dhines
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
KitMaker: 407 posts
Armorama: 373 posts
Posted: Monday, July 06, 2020 - 02:28 PM UTC
Not sure if it may help you Jerry, but check out canadiansoldiers.com There is a wealth of info on the site with lots of info on the battle of hill 112 and the Normandy battles. Is it too late to use the Canadians in your story??? Best regards.........Dale
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 07, 2020 - 01:35 AM UTC
First off,
No need to apologize for thread -jacking as it has unleashed a trove of useful info for myself and I am sure,others as well.
Canadians will be involved later on but right now I am still working on the opening morning of Epsom. Ways to go yet.
Unless I go with a "prequel" style which would include Putot and Le Mesnil Patry ?
J
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2020 - 10:53 AM UTC
Thanks John, replied on the run to find you had filled out the detail by the time I got home to flesh it out. I fully recommend getting a Copy of Fortins british Tanks in Normandy which can be bought as a hardback, softcover and I believe now a kindle. I will answer most of your questions quite well.
Al
 _GOTOTOP