_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Stryker vent paint
Mrclark7
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 503 posts
Armorama: 477 posts
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2020 - 10:33 AM UTC
looking for some feedback on the vent color on the Stryker's. curious was it is painted without any masking the same color as the rest? On green Strkers are you seeing green when looking down into it? If it is green, when units were painted tan, did the screen area get painted also? or did it stay its original color?

dcl6zdf-0f201962-209d-4654-881f-34ff1f2e89f4
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 04, 2020 - 12:39 AM UTC
Not sure where you got that drawing, but it is fictional. Practically all US Strykers are NATO Green. None are camo and only a few were painted sand by Special Ops for use in Syria.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 04, 2020 - 06:26 AM UTC
To actually answer your question, in looking at my Stryker walk around (over 1200 photos and counting) these "vents" all have louvers behind them, so yes, there is green underneath the mesh.

I visit the reset facilities for several vehicles on a regular basis (the Stryker reset facility at JBLM, Bradley Faciity at Ft. Carson, Abrams and Bradley at Camp Shelby, MI, JLTV at Fort McCoy)) and I can tell you, these guys don't waste a lot of time on masking when repainting - mainly lights and optic. (strangely they could have just removed these)

So if you are doing one in sand, they'd shoot the CARC straight through the mesh.

Refit facilities offer great diorama possibilities by the way. Great way to show off those resin Stryker engines by Legend...

Mrclark7
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 04, 2020 - 09:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

To actually answer your question, in looking at my Stryker walk around (over 1200 photos and counting) these "vents" all have louvers behind them, so yes, there is green underneath the mesh.

I visit the reset facilities for several vehicles on a regular basis (the Stryker reset facility at JBLM, Bradley Faciity at Ft. Carson, Abrams and Bradley at Camp Shelby, MI, JLTV at Fort McCoy)) and I can tell you, these guys don't waste a lot of time on masking when repainting - mainly lights and optic. (strangely they could have just removed these)

So if you are doing one in sand, they'd shoot the CARC straight through the mesh.

Refit facilities offer great diorama possibilities by the way. Great way to show off those resin Stryker engines by Legend...

So this helps a lot with understanding actual real world looks versus the over weathering details on a model one might see. Thanks so much.
Mrclark7
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 04, 2020 - 09:45 AM UTC
In case any "modeler" might want to explorer creativity.

junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,728 posts
Armorama: 1,629 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 04, 2020 - 11:14 AM UTC
Hey, if you can find a model of a LAV 6.0, go for it!

Jim
 _GOTOTOP