_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Replacing KA-MI tracks
GregCopplin
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 212 posts
Armorama: 201 posts
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2020 - 04:11 PM UTC
I’m currently building dragons KA-MI kit. Unfortunately i thought the tracks were going to be rubber or at least flexible but instead are easily breakable plastic that won’t bend around the sprockets. Would panzer III tracks be a good replacement, i believe ryefield has A panzer III/ IV set for around $20. I just want to know if it would work or if i should go a different direction. What’s everyone thoughts ?
TheGreatPumpkin
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 690 posts
Armorama: 672 posts
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2020 - 04:27 PM UTC
There are a couple of choices for actual Ka-mi tracks: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/cyber-hobby-3888-magic-track-ijn-type-2-ka-mi-amphibious-tank--410378 Hope that helps.
Regards,
Georg
GregCopplin
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2020 - 04:30 PM UTC
I’ve seen those but i can’t seem to find them anywhere. That’s why I’m looking for a different fix if i have to. Would it be worth trying to use a little heat on the tracks dragon provides to try and bend them?
jfeenstra
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 342 posts
Armorama: 342 posts
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2020 - 04:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I’ve seen those but i can’t seem to find them anywhere. That’s why I’m looking for a different fix if i have to. Would it be worth trying to use a little heat on the tracks dragon provides to try and bend them?

I doubt you will find the Cyber Hobby sets anymore, but Masterclub makes early and late sets of Ka-Mi tracks and Hobbyeasy is currently showing stock of the early ones. Spade Ace also has a set, but these are now difficult to find to.

You could try hot water and/or a bit of heat from a hair dry to see if the plastic ones will conform, but you would be better off trying to cut the links apart in small sections to try and fit around the sprockets. Will be far from perfect, but might work.

Unfortunately Ka-Mi tracks are unique; the next closest ones would be Ha-Go tracks.
GregCopplin
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2020 - 05:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I doubt you will find the Cyber Hobby sets anymore, but Masterclub makes early and late sets of Ka-Mi tracks and Hobbyeasy is currently showing stock of the early ones. Spade Ace also has a set, but these are now difficult to find to.

You could try hot water and/or a bit of heat from a hair dry to see if the plastic ones will conform, but you would be better off trying to cut the links apart in small sections to try and fit around the sprockets. Will be far from perfect, but might work.

Unfortunately Ka-Mi tracks are unique; the next closest ones would be Ha-Go tracks.

Unfortunately they are quite unique, my other option is to get ha-go tracks or i was thinking the panzer III/IV tracks may work but I’m not sure how confident id be doing those.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2020 - 09:18 PM UTC
You can buy early or late Ka-Mi tracks here:
https://www.hobby.dn.ua/?search-text=ka-mi
They are listed as 'Backorder' but this only means that they will get them from the manufacturer as needed.
When I ordered it took them a month to get the tracks ready for delivery (September 6th to October 11th).
They send a message when thy have them ready for delivery and that is when you pay for the order. No taking money months in advance BS.
/ Robin
TheGreatPumpkin
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 690 posts
Armorama: 672 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 04, 2020 - 02:23 AM UTC
Here you go:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SPADE-ACE-MODELS-35096-1-35-METAL-TRACK-LINKS-for-I-J-A-TYPE-2-Ka-Mi-TANKS/193542989903?hash=item2d100fa84f:g:QGkAAOSwuHle-gHM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-35-MasterClub-MTL35142-Metal-Tracks-for-Ka-Mi-Late/264540802857?epid=17023337787&hash=item3d97dc4f29:g:qJ0AAOSwlG5cZo2P

Regards,
Georg
GregCopplin
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, July 04, 2020 - 03:10 AM UTC

Much appreciated , hopefully i can win them off eBay
 _GOTOTOP