_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Opinions on the Rye Field Abrams w/interior?
DickJones
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 44 posts
Armorama: 44 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 04, 2020 - 02:17 AM UTC
On the surface it appears remarkable but I'm a bit concerned about how little it has been built across the 'net. Anyone tried it?
Panzer_Modeler
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 419 posts
Armorama: 217 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 04, 2020 - 02:55 AM UTC
Im currently working on the RFM M1A2 SEP2 TUSK2 variant, and it seems for the most part a very crisply molded kit but the instructions can be really sketchy and some of the interior details are incorrectly molded and need scratch built replacements even though you see so little you decide if its worth it. As for the workable tracks, I have no opinion the TUSK kit comes with link and length. You can basically build this kit OOB and all it needs is a little wiring in the engine bay if you pose it open.
DickJones
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 44 posts
Armorama: 44 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 04, 2020 - 04:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Im currently working on the RFM M1A2 SEP2 TUSK2 variant, and it seems for the most part a very crisply molded kit but the instructions can be really sketchy and some of the interior details are incorrectly molded and need scratch built replacements even though you see so little you decide if its worth it. As for the workable tracks, I have no opinion the TUSK kit comes with link and length. You can basically build this kit OOB and all it needs is a little wiring in the engine bay if you pose it open.

I've built similar tracks with the Meng Leo 2A7. It's not the part count that bothers me, rather the strength of the pins. Very weak, at least on the one I built. Getting even a little track tension was difficult. Seems these come from the same factory/designer.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 04, 2020 - 05:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I've built similar tracks with the Meng Leo 2A7. It's not the part count that bothers me, rather the strength of the pins. Very weak, at least on the one I built. Getting even a little track tension was difficult. Seems these come from the same factory/designer.

Getting track tension:
If you want to stretch them straight you will have to apply more force than most of these workable tracks can handle.
A better way to do it is to glue them stiff. If you want the top run absolutely straight then lay it on a flat surface and apply small amounts of glue to each track pin. A stiff top run is also easier to insert above the return rollers.
If you want a very slight sag (live tracks sag very little) just shape the top run before the glue dries/hardens.

/ Robin
white4doc
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
Armorama: 964 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2020 - 01:24 AM UTC
It's a good kit. I have one which I started and pushed off on finishing because of a shortfuse commission; it kind of got forgotten on the shelves in the workshop. The tracks are as mentioned by others, and you need to take your time because of the number of parts and the fact that they have you working different variants from the same drawings in the instructions. I still enjoyed working on it and do intend to get back to it again.

Doc
 _GOTOTOP