_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Aber 16102, 7.92mm MG34/42 ammo belt
knewton
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,217 posts
Armorama: 1,092 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2020 - 09:03 PM UTC
Anyone here used this set from Aber, a PE and turned metal extravaganza to form a belt of link ammo for the MG 34 or 42? I’m contemplating it for a figure, but it looks like it could be an exercise in madness, too. Any experience with this, anyone?
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Monday, July 06, 2020 - 07:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Anyone here used this set from Aber, a PE and turned metal extravaganza to form a belt of link ammo for the MG 34 or 42? I’m contemplating it for a figure, but it looks like it could be an exercise in madness, too. Any experience with this, anyone?

What scale? I have fiddled with the Aber 1/16 scale .50 ammo can and belt set. I found the jig included with the set was difficult to use, and had to modify it to form the links, which worked out “just OK”. But trying to link more than 5-10 links together with the rounds was near impossible (I was using them to build a diorama of a B-17 waist gunner, with a long run of ammo) because they continuously fell apart as I manipulated them. I suppose if you use sone cyanoacrylate glue to hold short lengths together, they’ll work, but then the “flexibility” of the run is lost. I resorted to cutting and soldering sections of Albion brass tube in appropriate thickness together to simulate the links, then inserting the rounds into the tubes in a long run and bending where needed. I then used the Aber links scattered around as ejected links.
VR, Russ
knewton
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,217 posts
Armorama: 1,092 posts
Posted: Monday, July 06, 2020 - 01:24 PM UTC
Which scale? 1/16. The only difference on the mg 34 is non—disintegrating belt, which may work in my favour. Thanks for the reply.
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Monday, July 06, 2020 - 09:21 PM UTC
Haven't used myself but the instructions, considering the real size of the parts, are scaring... however, if you are used to mount their workable hinges and alike, it should be doable. But definitively not for me
 _GOTOTOP