Hosted by Darren Baker
Jeeps Of The World
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 07, 2020 - 09:42 AM UTC
I know that many American Jeeps were imported to other countries. I know that the British military refers to Land Rovers as "jeeps". I asked in the past about the use of Jeeps in the Tintin comics, which turned out to be copies of American ones.

So what did other nations use, outside the Soviet bloc?
JohnTapsell
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 227 posts
Armorama: 226 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 07, 2020 - 10:03 AM UTC
Never heard Landrovers being referred to as Jeeps. If they are called anything other than landrovers they are called 'Landys'.

The British tended to refer to Jeeps as 'Bantams' during WWII (a reflection of the original manufacturer. Post-war they rapidly introduced the Landrover (early versions served during the latter part of the Korean War) and they also used the much more complex Austin Champ (great vehicle but retired fairly quickly as being over-engineered for the role). The Landrover is still in service today (as the XD Wolf).

18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 07, 2020 - 10:04 AM UTC
Well, you've got the Mercedes Wolf, used by Germany and other western European nations, and the US.

In Korea I've seen the Kia KM 131.

African and Middle Eastern countries seem to favor the UAZ 469 quite a bit. So does India.

And China has a close copy, the BJ212 that they export as well.

But my favorite I've seen overseas has to be in the P.I. The ubiquitous Jeepney.

RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 07, 2020 - 10:41 AM UTC
Sweden used these:

The bodywork was derived from a Volvo taxi and given a 4x4 chassis and a new front end, brutal things, could take down small trees (2850 kg + 500 kg load)
For size comparison:

and then we got these

which were also used in this form as carriers for recoilless rifles:

succeded by the modernised:

then came the Mercedes G-wagen

After WWII we got surplus jeeps and WC (Dodge)

Open topped vehicles are fine in the summer but when temperatures start dropping down to 0 Fahrenheit they are not so "hot" anymore. Who cares if it gets a little warm for a few weeks in July as long as we don't freeze our butts off during the chilly season.
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 07, 2020 - 11:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...But my favorite I've seen overseas has to be in the P.I. The ubiquitous Jeepney.

Shameless plug. Not the colorful one though.

18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 07, 2020 - 12:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Sweden used these:

The bodywork was derived from a Volvo taxi and given a 4x4 chassis and a new front end, brutal things, could take down small trees (2850 kg + 500 kg load)
For size comparison:

and then we got these

which were also used in this form as carriers for recoilless rifles:

succeded by the modernised:

then came the Mercedes G-wagen

After WWII we got surplus jeeps and WC (Dodge)

Open topped vehicles are fine in the summer but when temperatures start dropping down to 0 Fahrenheit they are not so "hot" anymore. Who cares if it gets a little warm for a few weeks in July as long as we don't freeze our butts off during the chilly season.

Ah, fourth one down - Volvo LL3304. I began a scratchbuild using an M38A1. Now I want to go finish it.

Tat - great Jeepney! Did you build that?
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 07, 2020 - 01:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

...Tat - great Jeepney! Did you build that?

Thanks Robert! -- yes, a campaign entry a few years back. Used an Italeri kit.
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 07, 2020 - 01:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Never heard Landrovers being referred to as Jeeps. If they are called anything other than landrovers they are called 'Landys'.

The British tended to refer to Jeeps as 'Bantams' during WWII (a reflection of the original manufacturer. Post-war they rapidly introduced the Landrover (early versions served during the latter part of the Korean War) and they also used the much more complex Austin Champ (great vehicle but retired fairly quickly as being over-engineered for the role). The Landrover is still in service today (as the XD Wolf).

The Dr. Who military article that was linked to recently referred to obvious Land Rovers as "jeeps". As far as I know the British never used American Jeeps when they had their own small vehicles.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 07, 2020 - 05:19 PM UTC
French Delahaye VLR :

Italian Fiat Campagnola :

and Alfa-Romeo 1900M :

German DKW Munga :

British Austin Champ :

H.P.
JohnTapsell
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 227 posts
Armorama: 226 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 07, 2020 - 08:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The Dr. Who military article that was linked to recently referred to obvious Land Rovers as "jeeps". As far as I know the British never used American Jeeps when they had their own small vehicles.

You're relying on an article about Dr Who as a valid research source?
Johnnych01
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 604 posts
Armorama: 506 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 07, 2020 - 08:53 PM UTC
As John T said the UK has never referred to the Landrover as a jeep. We usually just say Landy, Lanny or just " go and get the Rover"...

Any reference to anything British military shown or how it's portrayed in the dreaded Dr Who is usually very wide of the mark, and put in the show by a person who has no clue whatsoever. And don't start me on about the shapes of the berets !!!!

On a side note, Tom's original question about jeeps of the world would be a great little campaign... Jeeps/ small 4/4 utility vehicles of the world ???
Vroaar
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 5 posts
Armorama: 5 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 07, 2020 - 09:09 PM UTC
The Dutch contribution to the world of Jeeps: the DAF YA 66.
1.200 of these were made for the Dutch army.