_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Das Werk FuSE 62D “Würzburg” Radar
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2020 - 04:26 AM UTC

This is the build log to follow up the review just published here. Please follow that link if you want to see the instructions and shots of the sprues, as well as some background on this piece of equipment.

I didn't start off with the base and wooden platform but went straight to the radar device itself, starting with the central column or pedestal to which everything is attached. (I hope that anyone very knowledgeable will forgive me making up some of this terminology. I looked in a book written by a German expert, and this part was referred to as the Zentralaufbau, which just means the central structure.) This is a cylindrical box of five parts, one side shown here with its sprue tags on:

This is the other side and the back, with the top plate attached:

Then the third side, noting that there is no option to have the doors open on this front side, they are moulded closed:

The central structure complete, without the back doors attached. The instructions only show them being fitted closed, but clearly there is the option to fix them open, but it seems to make sense to add them much later if doing that - or perhaps leave them off altogether, since most people will have no idea what this thing should look like and it seems good to be able to show off the interior details of the Geräteschrank (device cabinet).

This next photo of part H44 is included to show some of the cleaning of parts that is necessary. I think this is related to the electrical power supply to the central structure.

This is it connecting some other device (an electrical regulator?) to the central structure, to which some other switches have been added, protected by a U shaped bar:

The two seats for the crew members on the left of the device look exactly like they have come from a motorcycle, with small back rests added, and these are mounted to the central structure on an arrangement of steel bars.

On the above photo can be seen two of the four rods that look as if they are meant to be hinged so that they can fold down to a horizontal position, but which are depicted folded up and clipped into place, with end caps pointing upwards. For something so simple they were quite hard to fit neatly, but it possibly doesn't matter as they seem to look a bit wonky on the real thing. I think they may be stabilising feet for use when the central structure is not on the steel mounting plate.

That's page 4 from the instructions and one side of the structure completed, now starting to build up the other side, the main box like structure on which the range finders are mounted. Some tidying needed along the edges:

...so that the sides fit straight, with no gaps:

More later (hopefully the gallery will buck itself up )

_GOTOTOP