_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
WW2 IJA tanks.
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,124 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2020 - 11:02 AM UTC
I know the IJA armor was … umm … the Yugos of the tank world, but were they really this bad? Have the old Tamiya Ho Ni I kit. (Type 97 Chi Ha chassis with a Type 90 75mm and an open top) Kit has the gun sight / controls on the left. The loader also stands to the left. Did he both aim and load? Or were two people suppose to operate in an area the size of Dr. Who's phone booth? Or did Tamiya do another of their ancient screw up that became gospel(Like blue Matildas and gun travel locks sticking up like woodies) , and the sight SHOULD be on the right side? Also, any idea where the ammo was stored? There are panels on the floor, but if there are three guys crammed in the fighting compartment like sardines ain't no way in hell of getting to them without somebody getting rogered.
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2020 - 01:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I know the IJA armor was … umm … the Yugos of the tank world, but were they really this bad?

The Japanese gave land warfare a lower priority for talent and resources then they did for aircraft and ships. The fact that they conquered as much of the Earth's surface as they did the way they did and in such a short time tends to support their thinking.

Quoted Text

[I] Have the old Tamiya Ho Ni I kit. (Type 97 Chi Ha chassis with a Type 90 75mm and an open top) Kit has the gun sight / controls on the left. . . . did Tamiya do another of their ancient screw up . . . and the sight SHOULD be on the right side?

What did you find when you looked at photos of the real vehicles and compared them to the model?

KL
Northwoods
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 22 posts
Armorama: 23 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2020 - 01:21 PM UTC
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/9943
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2020 - 01:32 PM UTC
Got the kit, know how it is. Only couple-three photos Ive seen are ones of a captured one in the Philippines. They are exterior shots. No shots of the interior or gun. Type 90 field gun has the sight on the left. But I know the Germans swapped sides for one gun they used as a SP AT gun so it made crew lay out to ease use.
Tank1812
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 886 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2020 - 11:40 PM UTC
Finemolds makes a Ho-ni. No sure how good or bad the kit is but might be able to give you something to compare the Tamiya kit to.
https://www.scalemates.com/products/img/9/3/7/132937-12-instructions.pdf

As it seems, IJA tanks are not as well documented in English as other country’s tanks are.

Our AMPS club is doing a club build of different Finemold IJA tank and the Tamiya Type 97 kits. We do not have the Ho-ni kit and I am to be building the Ho-I kit, similar but smaller large caliber gun then yours. So I will be following to see what information I can gather especially on later questions about exterior paint colors.
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 12, 2020 - 01:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Got the kit, know how it is. Only couple-three photos Ive seen are ones of a captured one in the Philippines. They are exterior shots. No shots of the interior or gun.

Your computer must be broken because when I search "ho-ni" I get a "couple-three" hundred photos.

Nevertheless, even a small number of the most common exterior photos will answer your question as to whether Tamiya reversed the arrangement of the fighting compartment:

"Kit has the gun sight / controls on the left. . . . did Tamiya do another of their ancient screw up . . . and the sight SHOULD be on the right side?"

KL
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 12, 2020 - 07:28 AM UTC
Exterior photos will answer questions about the interior. Can I borrow somebody's x-ray glasses. I forgot the Ho Ni III was the same gun, just with a fully enclosed fighting compartment. (Ho Ni II had a 105mm , I think. ) Going by the Fine Molds instruction , either they drank the same Kool Aid as Tamiya or the sight WAS on the left. Operating that gun must have been like a game of Twister. Any thoughts on ammo stowage?
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 12, 2020 - 07:57 AM UTC
Wow. That one brings back memories. Is there PE for it yet? Thirty years ago there was not, so I had to use the PE intended for the tank kit, mainly to replace the exhaust screens.

I think your initial assessment of the floor panels is correct. They're the right size at least. The crew probably took out some ready rounds and stored them where they could until firing.

As for the sight, Tamiya usually doesn't get things like that wrong, unless their research is based upon an incorrect museum piece, i.e. the M48 ride height. Someone at a museum would have to go through great lengths to affix that pantel to the wrong side of the piece.
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 12, 2020 - 11:06 AM UTC
These two exterior photos from a readily accessible walkaround are all you need to determine if Tamiya arranged the gun mount, shield, and sight correctly:

KL

b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 12, 2020 - 01:15 PM UTC
Thanks for the photos. Unfortunately the gun sight is MIA, and elev travers wheels aren't visible. (course if the were on the right there might be some evidence. Points to they are on the left.) Where is that Ho-ni at? There were only about 300 total I, II, and IIIs combined.) I'd guess Aberdeen.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 12, 2020 - 01:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

a "couple-three" hundred photos.

With that many photos available, one would think one could post a more helpful photo, especially if it's from the very same walkaround.

The gun is out of battery no less.
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 12, 2020 - 01:26 PM UTC
Check out this site
http://ww2f.com/threads/japanese-tanks-and-armored-vehicles.72238/page-3
scroll down about 1/3 page there are 4-5 photos showing vehicles with optics and controls on the left side.
And here:
https://ww2db.com/image.php?image_id=7865

Cheers,
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 - 01:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

a "couple-three" hundred photos.

With that many photos available, one would think one could post a more helpful photo, especially if it's from the very same walkaround.

My point was to illustrate that even exterior photos, with normal, visible light vision, are adequate. The second one shows the notch in the shield top to clear the sight. The one you posted could be claimed to be an "interior" shot.

How did I know that's why the notch was there? I didn't, until I spent five minutes looking at photos of the Ho-Ni found by google, and the Wiki article. I didn't even know there were three Ho-Ni versions, but in about as much time as it took to post multiple times I was able to figure it out.

I'm not a "Google is your friend . . ." sort of responder, but when the questioner clearly hasn't even tried to find out on his own, doesn't take the obvious hint to use this massive resource at his fingertips, and follows up with posts that indicate he's not even going to bother, [auto-censored] like this happens.

BTW, I think Eduard did make a PE fret. ISTR it was very early in their operation, with a 350xx part number.

KL
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 - 02:26 PM UTC
For YOUR information. Kurt, I spent several hours on line and kept getting the same 3 or 4 photos or photos of models. I know how google works.
JohnTapsell
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 227 posts
Armorama: 226 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 - 10:23 PM UTC
I did a google image search on 'Japanese Ho-Ni' and got a fair sprinkling of real Ho-Ni images. I used the results I got initially to refine the search and turned some more up, so they do exist online in some numbers.

Also, The AJ Press Tankpower series has multiple volumes on Japanese armour - well worth getting if IJA armour is your thing.

John
marcb
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,244 posts
Armorama: 1,226 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 - 10:58 PM UTC

b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 15, 2020 - 10:21 AM UTC
Thanks, Guys. Looks like the sight and such are on the left. OK. Any thoughts on crewing? Was there two guys on the left .. one to aim and one to load? Or did one guy aim and load? (Might work for infantry support but not so well for AT work. ) Guy that pulled the trigger was on the right. Also, Where would they have squirreled ammo away?
marcb
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
Posted: Wednesday, July 15, 2020 - 10:07 PM UTC
Google it...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_1_Ho-Ni_I
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 15, 2020 - 11:15 PM UTC
Google yourself! Been there.... done that. Has no info on ammo stowage. Or crew positions. Or maybe you did not bother reading the post.
JohnTapsell
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 227 posts
Armorama: 226 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2020 - 12:13 AM UTC
A quick Google search gives me multiple responses, all of which indicate commander, gunner, driver and two loaders (five crew).

vettejack
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,277 posts
Armorama: 1,254 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2020 - 02:51 AM UTC
From AJ Press of Japanese Armor, Vol 5. Click on pic to enlarge.

Type 1 Ho-ni 1 was armed with a 75mm, type 90 cannon...elevation was -5 up to + 25 degrees...traverse up to 20 degrees to either side...it is believed that a total of 125 Ho-ni's were built between 1942 and 1945.

Ho-ni Type 2 is also a SPG with a Type 91, 105mm gun, designated Type 1 Ho-ni II.

The final Ho-ni configuration is the designated Type 3 Ho-ni III SPG, fitted with a complete enclosed heptagonal welded superstructure that went back to use the 75mm gun. "Fine Molds" does this kit, number FM-20.

It is not mentioned if the total production of 125 vehicles included all 3 variations, or if the Type II and Type III had their own production numbers.
marcb
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2020 - 05:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Google yourself! Been there.... done that. Has no info on ammo stowage. Or crew positions. Or maybe you did not bother reading the post.

No need to be rude...

Try here:
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/missinglynx/japanese-modelling-discussion-group-f449919/
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2020 - 07:32 AM UTC
If memory serves (BECAUSE I GOOGLED IT!) there were 26 Ho Ni Is, 54 Ho Ni IIs and 41 Ho Ni IIIs. I know there was suppose to be a crew of 5 but where did they put them? The fighting compartment looks to be all of maybe 5 foot by 5 foot. Even with the driver staying in his seat that's 4 guys in that tiny space (Must look like a clown car if they all bail in a hurry.). As for Fine Molds Ho Ni III, Yeah, I know. I have one on order from Japan. Might see it by next year.
Bodeen
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2020 - 02:50 PM UTC
I know what you mean about packages from Japan taking a while. Yesterday I received an order from Hobby Link Japan that was sent on April 22. 2 1/2 months to arrive.......unbelievable
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2020 - 02:55 PM UTC
Hopefully the package I sent you won't take quite so long.
 _GOTOTOP