_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
Monroe Perdu Studios: Dressing the Brummbär
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 12, 2020 - 11:19 PM UTC

Monroe Perdu announces four new sets for the Brummbär, with Zimmerit for the hull and Schurzen

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
marcb
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,244 posts
Armorama: 1,226 posts
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2020 - 01:51 AM UTC
Why would anyone make a zimmerit set for the ancient Tamiya mid kit?
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2020 - 02:41 AM UTC
Monroe Perdue Zimmerit is basically textured thick paper...right? What's the general opinion of the product? Are they easy to apply, and with what kind of glue? Do they ever eventually separate, de-laminate, or become un-bond in any way? Is everyone (who uses them) satisfied with their appearance? Do they take paint well in relation to any ajancant bare plastic areas? Does Zimmerit already come pre-colored in ochre?
Tank1812
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 886 posts
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2020 - 03:05 AM UTC
From MP’s website.

“We recommend applying to the primed model with white glue (PVA). Using this method allows for the pieces to be easily modified to depict battle damage using a sharp blade, then chipped away from the tank. Edges can be abraded and chipped away either before or after application to the model if desired.
No special primers or sealers are needed for painting but doing so will not hurt the paper.
This set takes the stress out of applying the intricate pattern associated with the this tank. Most pieces are cut to fit slightly bigger than the kit part, so you can add panels and then trim if necessary.

We also sell a set of panels to fit this particular kits schurzen pieces.

Application instructions are included.“

Don’t know about the rest.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2020 - 04:42 AM UTC
Given the real thing was essentially sawdust and glue, applied and then flame-hardened, I suspect it was already a beige "plywood" colour before it was painted over.
warmonger
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 217 posts
Armorama: 117 posts
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2020 - 09:33 AM UTC
I have used a couple of their 1/48 set, and in that scale they look fantastic. You put an acrylic primer on the kit and then white glue (I diluted mine) on the zimmerite and sticks great. Detail is there after painting also. I really like the no 5 min appoxy to deal with like my Atak zimmerte.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2020 - 11:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Given the real thing was essentially sawdust and glue, applied and then flame-hardened, I suspect it was already a beige "plywood" colour before it was painted over.

Ochre was one of the ingredients in Zimmerit so it was already appropriately pre-colored. Another ingredient was cellulose which only added to it's flammable nature.

Removed by original poster on 07/13/20 - 23:53:43 (GMT).
Guddha999
Visit this Community
Akershus, Norway
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 5 posts
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2020 - 11:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Monroe Perdue Zimmerit is basically textured thick paper...right? What's the general opinion of the product? Are they easy to apply, and with what kind of glue? Do they ever eventually separate, de-laminate, or become un-bond in any way? Is everyone (who uses them) satisfied with their appearance? Do they take paint well in relation to any ajancant bare plastic areas? Does Zimmerit already come pre-colored in ochre?

I have used the MP zimmerit on 1/72 scale subjects twice now, and I'm more than happy with the results! I didn't bother with priming my vehicles first, instead using Gator's Grip acrylic glue to attach the paper. Here are a few shots of my 1/72 Dragon StuG III Ausf. G with the waffle pattern zimmerit:

Cheers,
Gustav
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2020 - 04:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Why would anyone make a zimmerit set for the ancient Tamiya mid kit?

Why not? The Tamiya kit is still in production and only costs about $20.00. Any AM product that makes the kit better is welcome, in my book. There are a lot of people that can't afford a $60.00-$70.00 RFM, Takom or DML kit. The Tamiya kit is a cheaper option and with the addition of some zimmerit the model becomes more accurate and realistic. I think it was kind of an intelligent move on MPs part. If the set can be had at a reasonable price it could be a good thing for a younger modeler or someone on a budget. I think it could also be modified to fit other manufacturers kits. From the photos this
product looks very nice.
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 3,778 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 - 08:22 AM UTC
I've used these sets in the past and can readily attest that they are surprisingly good, even compared to resin sets and are cheap to boot! The compared savings will buy you a better kit than a forty year-old Tamiya which is merely okay. I'm just not big on updating old sets except as a challenge. The only possible flaw is that they are, perhaps, too perfect and more of a challenge to realistically damage. That, and possibly not deep enough in profile though even there they're probably in scale; it is just that most of us are used to seeing rough, deep Zimmerit which, to be honest, is probably out of scale.
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 - 10:55 AM UTC
As I recall another nice thing with these sets is because they are flat paper they get mailed out by MP as letters, so even international orders are not expensive in terms of shipping costs.
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 - 11:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

... it is just that most of us are used to seeing rough, deep Zimmerit which, to be honest, is probably out of scale.

Yes; it was only 5-10mm thick give or take.

https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/articles/tech/zimmerit-in-german-use/
 _GOTOTOP