_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Hobbyboss ADGZ
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,124 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2020 - 12:58 PM UTC
HB has two ADGZ kits. One says Steyr other Daimler. What is the difference? As far as I know all (both batches) were built by Steyr.
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2020 - 01:23 PM UTC
Steyr-Daimler-Puch.

All one company. The kits do have some detail differences, so both are legit, FAIK. If I were richer, and nowheres near my real age, I would get and build both!

Bob
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,124 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2020 - 04:51 PM UTC
I know Styer and Daimler was/ are bed fellows theses days (car companies these days change partners faster than Liz Taylor changed husbands!) Wasn't sure bout then. HB would imply different makers. As for differences, do they reflect the two batches? ( 27 Austrian ones from 35-37 and 25 additional made for the SS in 42)
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2020 - 06:34 PM UTC
Contents of both HB kits
ADGZ-Steyr

https://1999.co.jp/eng/10463562

ADGZ Daimler

https://1999.co.jp/eng/10425303

I think the main difference is the turret weapons.
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2020 - 07:23 PM UTC
First series built for sale to the Austrian Army by Steyr in 1934. Armament was originally with Schwarzlose MG (an Austrian "brand"), and the drive-train and engine provided by Steyr's partner, Austro-Daimler.

Following the 1938 Anschluss with Germany, the ADGZ cars were seconded to the Wehrmacht, and the Schwarzlose MG replaced by the standard MG-34 (and in a few cases, a DT MG) as used on German armored vehicles. A 2cm KwK 35 auto-cannon was installed in the turret during this early (1938) rebuild.

The SS ordered a second series of about 24 cars in 1942. These were armed with MG-34 and, in some cases, a 2cm KwK 38 gun as used on German SdKfz 222. Some external detail fixtures were different from the original series. The hull, drive-train, and engine were as used in the first series.

Steyr was the lead developer and assembler of both series, with automotive parts provided by Austro - Daimler.

Several of the later-series cars built for the SS were up-gunned later in the war using "surplus" turrets from captured Russian T-26 tanks.

My understanding is that the 2 Hobby Boss kits model the earlier series with initial modifications done prior to the German invasion of Poland (where the type was used), and the standard later-series car as initially purchased by the SS in 1942. The later series kit would be the one to use if one wants to model the putative up-gunned version using a T-26 turret seconded from the donor kit of your choice (one would want to check photos to see which turret - welded conical, welded straight wall, or riveted straight wall - should be used). There seems very little photo evidence that any ADGZ car was actually up-gunned with a T-26 turret, but it is possible - the T-26 turret was available and armed with the desirable 45mm AT gun... So, convert away if it calls you!

Cheers! Bob
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,353 posts
Armorama: 3,121 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 - 09:12 AM UTC
Both Kits contain the same sprues. The differences are simply adding 4 stowage boxes below the fenders and adding the different head light housing on the 'Steyr' version, the main differences seen in photographs.

Note, the Steyr version simply has the cross decals, the Daimler version more decals

brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 - 10:55 AM UTC
I built mine as a Steyr.
 _GOTOTOP