_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
I want to build this Panzer IV
phil2015
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 502 posts
Armorama: 325 posts
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2020 - 04:03 AM UTC

Well, I thought I was going to build it:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/28/Panzer_a_Zitomir.jpg

I have the Border Models Mid/Late Panzer IVG and thought I would use it. The kit I have comes with a late cupola and this vehicle has the early version. I've done some searching for an early cupola aftermarket with no success. Perhaps someone knows of one?

I'm not sure whether the barrel is an L43 or L48. It's hard to tell from the angle.

I thought maybe I'd get the Panzer IV F1 kit from Border models as it comes with the early cupola and shurzen, but only the L43 for a long barrel and I can't really tell whether this is that.

Also I understand there is a turret issue with the Panzer IV F1 kit because the turret is stepped. I don't know when the additional armor started being added to the turrets so don't know whether that would be correct or an issue.

I understand Border has come out with a new turret which will be shipped in new kits, but I don't know how to tell which turret I might be getting before ordering it.

So, that's a lot, but I welcome input on any parts of my planning....
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2020 - 05:27 AM UTC
Tiger model designs 35-5108 Panzer III/IV cupola with clear periscopes is an after market resin split hatch cupola like the one on the tank in the picture.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2020 - 11:20 AM UTC
Build the lead tank instead (in the photo). It has the single piece hatch.
 _GOTOTOP