_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Military Mishaps or adventures with the Army
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 25, 2020 - 03:47 AM UTC
I named this topic because I never served the Bundeswehr, but only had some more or less pleasant encounters with US Army or Bundeswehr. Please tell your "adventures" or mishaps here for our entertainment. I tell my stories later.
Johnnych01
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 604 posts
Armorama: 506 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 25, 2020 - 04:26 AM UTC
Oh my god ... I dont think there is enough time for me to begin lol ..... and Im not even sure sure I can recall back 37 years lol ... but I will more certainly be adding a few to this chat hehe....

And I have to be careful about what I write as I am still serving .lol
Kenaicop
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,426 posts
Armorama: 1,316 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 25, 2020 - 05:47 AM UTC
Dona Ana range complex with the 3D ACR, mid to late 80’s. I’m driving the safety track following an M1A1 down range, at some point for whatever scenario they were doing I had to pull right up to the right-rear of the tank to take a crewman on to my 113, I’m watching him climb in and turn around just in time to see the turret overhang coming right at my face. I drop down into the drivers hole just in time to miss the overhang mangle my periscope guards and tweak the hatch, at some point the tank TC realized something was wrong, stopped the tank and had it pull forward, I came back up, backed away and we continued with the day. Nothing really happened about it, hatch still worked and guards were all bent up but periscopes were okay
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 25, 2020 - 06:57 AM UTC
One of the company's in my battalion were out in the woods of Ft. Lewis and they were doing some night driving training. Their CO wanted them to ford the Nisqually River at the ford just below the bridge. A friend of mine was in the lead Humvee, bumper # 23, and called in that the water was too high from all the rain. Anyone whose been to Lewis knows the area I'm talking about and that November is a soggy mess of a month, cold, damp, pouring rain. So he calls in asking to simulate the fording and requesting to use the bridge just upstream. His CO said no and to cross the river. The was an argument between my friend, who happened to be a squad leader and his CO about the danger. His CO threatened him with UCMJ action if he didn't cross. So he told his team to unbuckle their seatbelts and undog the gunners hatch. The barely got in the river before the vehicle was swepted downstream. Our CQ ran up to our floor yelled alert and got me and another team leader and told us what happened and they needed searchers. We didn't even put on our uniforms just grabbed our boots and rain gear and grabbed the duty drivers humvee and took off to go help. It was low over cast and they were getting a Blackhawk launched to assist. So everyone drove down stream on both banks figuring they didn't drift far but what nobody considered was in the back of that humvee was a big airtight, foam filled case carrying a massive low light telescope that added a lot of buoyancy. They drifted more than 2 klicks downstream and got caught on a sandbar covered in fallen trees. The Blackhawk found them and when we got on scene you could see them standing on the top off the humvee after getting out thru the gunners hatch. They got the crew out with a helo but the had to wait a couple days to recover the humvee. It took several weeks to repair the rig and dry it out so it sat in our motorpool shop on jackstands. Somebody used tape and put "U-23" on the sides of it. His CO was removed from command for almost killing 4 soldiers and destroying a multi-million dollar surveillance system. What happened to my friend? Never lived it down. When he came into the office his platoon would jump up, click their heels and talk to him in fake German accents.
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 25, 2020 - 03:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

One of the company's in my battalion were out in the woods of Ft. Lewis and they were doing some night driving training. Their CO wanted them to ford the Nisqually River at the ford just below the bridge. A friend of mine was in the lead Humvee, bumper # 23, and called in that the water was too high from all the rain. Anyone whose been to Lewis knows the area I'm talking about and that November is a soggy mess of a month, cold, damp, pouring rain. So he calls in asking to simulate the fording and requesting to use the bridge just upstream. His CO said no and to cross the river. The was an argument between my friend, who happened to be a squad leader and his CO about the danger. His CO threatened him with UCMJ action if he didn't cross. So he told his team to unbuckle their seatbelts and undog the gunners hatch. The barely got in the river before the vehicle was swepted downstream. Our CQ ran up to our floor yelled alert and got me and another team leader and told us what happened and they needed searchers. We didn't even put on our uniforms just grabbed our boots and rain gear and grabbed the duty drivers humvee and took off to go help. It was low over cast and they were getting a Blackhawk launched to assist. So everyone drove down stream on both banks figuring they didn't drift far but what nobody considered was in the back of that humvee was a big airtight, foam filled case carrying a massive low light telescope that added a lot of buoyancy. They drifted more than 2 klicks downstream and got caught on a sandbar covered in fallen trees. The Blackhawk found them and when we got on scene you could see them standing on the top off the humvee after getting out thru the gunners hatch. They got the crew out with a helo but the had to wait a couple days to recover the humvee. It took several weeks to repair the rig and dry it out so it sat in our motorpool shop on jackstands. Somebody used tape and put "U-23" on the sides of it. His CO was removed from command for almost killing 4 soldiers and destroying a multi-million dollar surveillance system. What happened to my friend? Never lived it down. When he came into the office his platoon would jump up, click their heels and talk to him in fake German accents.

I could write a book of things that I saw, or even was involved in during my 19 months, and almost three days in the Army! Some are funny, and some are sad.
gary
exgrunt
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 301 posts
Armorama: 301 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 26, 2020 - 02:16 AM UTC
My squad leader transferred to a mech unit. A short time later, he was running off the ramp of an M113 and got hit in the face with an M203 training round (the kind filled with red chalk). He was still yelling to his squad to deploy as he was spitting out teeth.

Hardcore....
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 26, 2020 - 03:36 AM UTC
I can think of many “mishaps” occurring in the 30 years I spent as a professional soldier. Some were minor and later laughable, others were serious and tragic. Unfortunately, it’s the nature of the business. “Heads often rolled” for stupidity, either literally or figuratively. Wartime was bad. But peacetime accidents were equally unforgiving. My first witnessed “serious mishap” was in 1974 when a short M203 round effectively castrated the “safety NCO” who was walking the top of the berm behind the gun pits when he should have been behind the berm. He was a Vietnam Vet who self-admittedly believed he’d survived VN, and peacetime training was no big deal. Overconfidence is a major aspect of many “military mishaps”. But there are some that are just fate, and occur because heavy metal designed to rend flesh will do as it was designed to do, and soldiers often forget that.
VR, Russ
Johnnych01
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 26, 2020 - 06:36 AM UTC
Like Russ, I can recall a great many mishaps, some humorous, some tragic spanning 37 years and still going lol...

I will relate one that occurred while I was in W Germany after we switched from Chieftain to Challenger 1s.

We were about a week into a Div FTX in about 88, and we had been on a road move to a holding point just short of the River Weser which we were going to be crossing via M2 rigs connected as a full crossing bridge.

Unknown to us, the Weser was in full flow and running very fast and a bit rough. We had an idea something was up as we were ordered by RMPs to pull over and idle on the side of a road just on the outskirts of a small village ( this is 14 Challengers in our packet alone and just after midnight - the locals were understandably not happy !!)
The holdup was because the M2s were having a really hard time staying connected to form the bridge due to the current. And this has slowed the whole move down and caused a big back log of vehicles and units trying to cross.
We had been sat on our wagons when the whole place lit up with blue flashing lights and ambulances and Polizei screaming past us towards the crossing point entrance about 800m from us.

What had happened was explained by our Sqn leader who came to each C/S to let the crews know.
While the M2 crews had been trying to stabalize and reconnect one of the rigs that had broken free, a high tensile steel cable that connected all the rigs together had snapped while under massive extreme pressure, whiplashed and almost severed one of the M2 crewmen in half (sadly died on scene).
When this happened, a medic from a field ambulance unit just in front of us was informed, who then proceeded to get his medic Bergen and run forward to try and assist. On his way, he jumped blindly over what he thought was a normal waist high wall, only to realise on the other side was a 20 foot plus drop onto hard stone. He broke his back but lived.
After we were briefed, we were moved to a secure parking area overnight and the crossing point was moved further up river which we did midmorning on the following day.

4 days later we were back over the same M2 bridge and then in an overwatch position doing a fighting withdrawal watching the remainder of the Div and German forces coming over to carry on the fight... Sobering times.
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 26, 2020 - 05:50 PM UTC
here's one for you, and how anybody came out clean is still a complete mistory.
When I hit Chu Lai on or about the 9th of December 1967, we only stayed on the beach two or three days. A typhoon rolled thru up near Tam Key, and they sent us across Highway One to our Battalion area located on Cherry Hill (I swear that was what the place was called!). Well we all came from Cam Rhon Bay where it was very hot and sunny to a heavy over cast with a distinct mist in the air. Otherwise nothing much was happening except for the big airbase.
Well there are twelve or thirteen of us (two or three are sent to Headquarters right away). We're kinda nervous about this new adventure. In walks this First Sargent of a deep Native American heritage. He gives us this lecture about how safe Cherry Hill was, and not to worry about anything. He said they hadn't ever seen a mortar round or sniper fire on that hill. We all felt a lot better! Head over to their beer hall, and drank a couple. Guys in there were talking about a 105 outfit named Charlie Battery 1st of the 14th artillary. They were said to be the F Troop of I-Corp. Fast forward to two in the morning! We are awakened by explosions! In runs the Sargent in combat boots helmet and boxer shorts herding all us into an underground bunker. After about thirty minutes it was declared safe again. Next morning we discover that somebody walked 105 rounds right out front of us, and it was Charlie Battery! They landed about thirty feet in front of us (six rounds), and nobody got a scratch. 24 hours we went to our units, and right below us was Charlie Battery! A week later they put a round right thru a gunship.
gary
pegasuspaul
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 18 posts
Armorama: 11 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 26, 2020 - 09:46 PM UTC
I was on an exercise in Germany in the late 80's, and my 1 ton Landrover and trailer was picked up by a German CH53 to be flown forward to another location. We had been in the air for about an hour when we noticed the load master giving the cut throat signal, and the aircraft suddenly rose. When asked what had happened he told us the load had started to swing and the it had to be dropped. Needlesss to say both Landrover and trailer were in a sorry state. Took quite a bit of explaining to the boss what had happened....
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
Armorama: 2,248 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 26, 2020 - 09:59 PM UTC
Desert Storm 1990. The night before we crossed Sadam's 'line of death' The artillery battalion I was in crept up to just south of the Kuwaiti border.

As usual, we laid our M198's ready to fire and dug our defensive holes in the darkness. All of a sudden, there was the hiss of a rocket streaking past and exploding about 200 yards behind the gun line.

Some Marine dived into the holes, and some of us didn't. After listening to the Iraqi's getting pounded for week after week by B-52's many of us doubted their ability ability to launch an airstrike.

Later we were to see the vehicle hit by the missile. It was the battalion's counter-battery radar. The operator had been testing his set when he was killed by one of our radar hunting aircraft. Melted, pierced, and shredded aluminum was all that was left.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 26, 2020 - 10:16 PM UTC
Not an adventure or a mishap, rather a funny incident.
During the initial months of conscript military service in Sweden my "platoon" consisted of those that were to have "NCO" roles in the company (120 mm mortars) that was being trained that year. My final grade was sergeant (company quartermaster), the others were to become ensigns. Anyhow, the platoon commander was a captain, second in command was lieutenant (re-graded from NCO during a reform of military grades, ensigns go to the first level of officer school, at graduation the brightest cookies become lt's and continue their career while the other not so bright ones become NCO's). My lt was one of the not so bright ones ....
During one of the first weeks out in the bush living in tents and doing outdoors stuff we had a "platoon evening", light beer and grilling sausages, to get to know each other. One of the other conscripts suggest a little game/activity to get to know ones true self.
You pray to three heathen gods, Ohwha, Tafoo & Liam by chanting their names. The speed and volume of the chant is gradually increased until you reach enlightenment.
The instigator and a few others dropped out (reached enlightenment) rather quickly, the rest of us dropped out two or three rounds later, then the captain dropped out. The lt (not so bright) continued howling Oh What A Fool I Am for a few rounds until the captain gave us a look which said "None of you dare to laugh now!" and then gave the lt a nudge and told him to quit and 'I'll tell you later'. Then we continued eating grilled sausages, cookies and drinking luke warm light beer.
The lt's authority was "slightly eroded" after that incident

I think the captain quitely agreed with the lt's self-assessment but neither he nor we ever said anything about it

He fell into the lake next day or the day after, one foot in the boat, one foot on the pier, boat glides away from the pier, a true classic ...

I have met a number of lt's that were ex NCO's, some of them had their heads firmly mounted on their shoulders, some others were not so bright but nice guys who knew their business.

Löjtnant Dennis Andersson passed away, aged 53, in 2008. RIP
Khouli
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 68 posts
Armorama: 68 posts
Posted: Monday, July 27, 2020 - 12:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Like Russ, I can recall a great many mishaps, some humorous, some tragic spanning 37 years and still going lol...

I will relate one that occurred while I was in W Germany after we switched from Chieftain to Challenger 1s.

We were about a week into a Div FTX in about 88, and we had been on a road move to a holding point just short of the River Weser which we were going to be crossing via M2 rigs connected as a full crossing bridge.

Unknown to us, the Weser was in full flow and running very fast and a bit rough. We had an idea something was up as we were ordered by RMPs to pull over and idle on the side of a road just on the outskirts of a small village ( this is 14 Challengers in our packet alone and just after midnight - the locals were understandably not happy !!)
The holdup was because the M2s were having a really hard time staying connected to form the bridge due to the current. And this has slowed the whole move down and caused a big back log of vehicles and units trying to cross.
We had been sat on our wagons when the whole place lit up with blue flashing lights and ambulances and Polizei screaming past us towards the crossing point entrance about 800m from us.

What had happened was explained by our Sqn leader who came to each C/S to let the crews know.
While the M2 crews had been trying to stabalize and reconnect one of the rigs that had broken free, a high tensile steel cable that connected all the rigs together had snapped while under massive extreme pressure, whiplashed and almost severed one of the M2 crewmen in half (sadly died on scene).
When this happened, a medic from a field ambulance unit just in front of us was informed, who then proceeded to get his medic Bergen and run forward to try and assist. On his way, he jumped blindly over what he thought was a normal waist high wall, only to realise on the other side was a 20 foot plus drop onto hard stone. He broke his back but lived.
After we were briefed, we were moved to a secure parking area overnight and the crossing point was moved further up river which we did midmorning on the following day.

4 days later we were back over the same M2 bridge and then in an overwatch position doing a fighting withdrawal watching the remainder of the Div and German forces coming over to carry on the fight... Sobering times.

I was an M2 Crewman (23 AES), although didn't join the Regiment until 1989.

We never used steel rope to join the rigs together, they were locked in place by hydraulic pins (close coupled) or by the ramp pins (open coupled).

What we did use steel ropes for was anchoring the bridge to the bank. It wasn't uncommon for these ropes to either pull out of the ground completely or snap (usually if an MBT had 'slewed' while entering the bridge). Either way, it was lethal and I knew several men who were very badly injured, but not killed.

One guy fell overboard during a night operation while we were fly-ferrying. The M2 had three props and this guy went straight into one. He last an arm but it could have been worse.

In those days, death and injury were just part of training
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Monday, July 27, 2020 - 12:57 AM UTC
Just to lighten the theme a little - and I take no great pride in telling this story against myself.

In the mid 70s I was posted to a huge British garrison not far from Moenchengladbach; whilst the infrastructure was British it in fact housed 4 HQs - 2 x British and 2 x NATO.

As a single junior NCO and posted to one of the NATO HQs (Northern Army Group since you ask) I was ensconced within the NATO lines which meant we were largely left alone from the normal intrusive British military orthodoxy. I must just add that back then it was an open camp ie no perimeter fence or anything, in fact a main German thoroughfare ran through the garrison.

As is the wont of most young bachelor soldiers, once the camp bars had closed, around 11 at night, we usually found ourselves in a couple of hostelries in a German village around 5 miles away. One evening, or rather morning, after what was a pretty industrial drinking session, I realised that it was getting light and that me and my oppo had better get back to camp. We staggered out into the gloom looking for a taxi; now, back in those days, all German taxis seemed to be diesel powered beige-coloured Mercedes, with or without an illuminated sign on the vehicle roof.

Luckily, through the early morning mist, such a vehicle hove into view; we stopped it by the simple expedient of standing imperiously in the middle of the road, and clambered in. I spoke some German (my oppo didn't or was simply incoherent with alcohol) so off we went, with me burbling something on the lines of "JHQ bitte; gerade aus, zweite links" and so on until we pulled up outside our block.

Mission accomplished and time to settle up, "Was macht das?" I enquired. The "Taxi" driver, who looked somewhat worried, not that I had noticed during the 15 minute journey or so, said "Please, I am not a taxi".

We gave the poor German civilian 10DM anyway; hopefully he arrived at work relatively un-traumatized by his hijacking.

Brian
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Monday, July 27, 2020 - 01:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just to lighten the theme a little - and I take no great pride in telling this story against myself.

In the mid 70s I was posted to a huge British garrison not far from Moenchengladbach; whilst the infrastructure was British it in fact housed 4 HQs - 2 x British and 2 x NATO.

As a single junior NCO and posted to one of the NATO HQs (Northern Army Group since you ask) I was ensconced within the NATO lines which meant we were largely left alone from the normal intrusive British military orthodoxy. I must just add that back then it was an open camp ie no perimeter fence or anything, in fact a main German thoroughfare ran through the garrison.

As is the wont of most young bachelor soldiers, once the camp bars had closed, around 11 at night, we usually found ourselves in a couple of hostelries in a German village around 5 miles away. One evening, or rather morning, after what was a pretty industrial drinking session, I realised that it was getting light and that me and my oppo had better get back to camp. We staggered out into the gloom looking for a taxi; now, back in those days, all German taxis seemed to be diesel powered beige-coloured Mercedes, with or without an illuminated sign on the vehicle roof.

Luckily, through the early morning mist, such a vehicle hove into view; we stopped it by the simple expedient of standing imperiously in the middle of the road, and clambered in. I spoke some German (my oppo didn't or was simply incoherent with alcohol) so off we went, with me burbling something on the lines of "JHQ bitte; gerade aus, zweite links" and so on until we pulled up outside our block.

Mission accomplished and time to settle up, "Was macht das?" I enquired. The "Taxi" driver, who looked somewhat worried, not that I had noticed during the 15 minute journey or so, said "Please, I am not a taxi".

We gave the poor German civilian 10DM anyway; hopefully he arrived at work relatively un-traumatized by his hijacking.

Brian

Hahahahaaaaaa that was a good one. You were lucky though. When I was in Germany in the later 70s the civilians would not have been so docile!
J
Johnnych01
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 27, 2020 - 01:34 AM UTC
Roly, I stand corrected. Thats what an old 30+ memory does for you. I was sure they were connected, but you would know more about that for sure. Were 23 based at Hameln when you were with them ? I remember the M2 marshals always looked concerned when they were guiding us onto the ramp lol
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Monday, July 27, 2020 - 02:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I guess before I relate one of the many demolition related mishaps I've encountered...

My taxi story is not military related so I'll keep it short -

A guy from Berlin whom I met on the Interflug flight from East Berlin to Moscow were in a taxi with two fairly hot Russian women who worked at the Moskva Hotel where we were staying. They invited us to their apartment to party. It was January (rates were lower then) and snowing lightly.
Last glance at the meter showed slightly over five Rubles, after a fairly lengthy ride through Moscow. Suddenly we stopped, the meter was off, and the driver told us we owed fifty Rubles, which we did not have. I ended up giving him one of many fake Rolexes I'd gotten in Chinatown. We really had not other options, my Russian at that point was only rudimentary, we had no idea where we were, and the girls were loudly asking when we were going to start drinking the Krimsekt (five bottles) we had bought. Turns out the girls were part time prostitutes as well. I'll never forget that poor German guy in the next room saying "I don't want! I'm married!" over and over and again. Funny how he'd forgotten that before the whole mishap began.

Anyway, here's a little demolition story.

Ft. McClellan, Alabama, 2004. I was going SFAUC (Special Forces Advanced Urban Combat) for the second of what would eventually be six times. (taught it twice) Every four to five week class has a demo week where we build our own charges and then use them for explosive breaching. It was hotter than balls, and we were disassembling initiator charges at our long work tables outside under a shade structure. It was so hot that when we assembled them the shock tube (a flexible plastic tube filled with aluminum and other stuff that burns almost 7,000 fps) was not quite melting, but gumming up as we inserted it into the M68 initiators. This made them unreliable because the intitiator shoots a charge into the shock tube which then sets off your detonators. Ours were always dual primed (two is one, one is none) meaning each assembly had two detonators, or blasting caps.
So we had to disassemble them, cut the bad end off of the shock tube, and carefully reinsert it into the initiator. The initiator looks like a tube with screw caps on each end. On one end a pull ring comes out of the cap. On the other end, when you loosen the cap, it opens two little clamps that allow you to insert the shock tube.

We were all unscrewing those caps to pull out the shock tube, and telling war stories, as most soldiers will. The guy next to me was distracted, and began unscrewing the cap on the pull ring end. This had the effect of actually pulling the pull ring. It fired, setting off two detonators hanging perilously close to his junk - blew nearly a softball sized chunk of his thigh off. I must have run like a little girl because next thing I knew after the shock wore off I was ten feet away watching no less than four SF medics saving this guy's life. He kept saying "Are my balls still there?" which thankfully they were. Had this been one of the other charges we were using that had det cord attached to the caps, it would have cut his leg off cleanly below the hip.
I still have the BDU's I was wearing that day. They are no longer covered with this guy's meat, but they are still riddled with little holes from the shrapnel of two blasting caps.
LonCray
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 348 posts
Armorama: 256 posts
Posted: Monday, July 27, 2020 - 02:48 AM UTC
A little bit lighter - in 1987, my MI unit was road marching from Virginia to Patrick AFB for an exercise. I was driving the second vehicle at the front of the convoy; 5t truck with a big hut and a big generator on a trailer. Guy at the front had the same thing. We were pulling into Ft. Bragg for the evening, on a 2 lane road heading towards a bridge over a river. The driver and assistant driver in the lead vehicle had been goofing off all day long. So this civilian in a 4 door sedan gets impatient with our convoy and passes me on the shoulder. Not smart; I honked at him. Then he went to pass the lead 5t. He actually hit the generator trailer - he should've stopped then. But he kept going, and caught his car on the front bumper of the 5t. The assistant driver is going apepoop but the driver thinks he's being punked so he keeps going while this sedan is swung around and is being pushed sideways by the 5t. I'm honking like mad and finally the driver stops - about 100 yards before the bridge. Had he kept going, that sedan was going in the river. Nobody hurt; the 5t had a scratch in the paint on the bumper - which was 2 feet into the side of that sedan. I think the civilian tried to sue the Army later and lost.
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1,610 posts
Armorama: 684 posts
Posted: Monday, July 27, 2020 - 05:12 AM UTC
I was a 2LT Artillery Officer stationed in Baumholder, West Germany in the early '70s. As the junior officer in the Battery I was the FO, and on the hill one very windy day observing fire and adjusting for our battery.

I was adjusting on a particular target which was located on a low ridge which was in front of a much higher ride. At that time practice was to use two guns to adjust, and the FO was required to report "Rounds Observed" after every volley. Until that was reported the guns were not to be touched so that IF there was a problem, where the gun was ACTUALLY laid when fired could be determined.

This day was VERY windy (a straight in the face wind) and it also happened that the Gun Target Line) was directly over my head and right into the wind. My first set of rounds dropped BETWEEN the two ridge lines and because of the wind, I didn't actually SEE two rounds go off, but saw some smoke from behind the ridge line so I reported "Rounds Observed".

I had ALSO noticed a very peculiar sound or "whooshing" noise just before I observed the smoke. I turned around to ask my Recon SGT what that noise was, and he said, "Sir, that sounded like a round tumbling."

I made my adjustment and two more rounds hit, this time on the front side of the first ridge and reported "Rounds observed" and was just about to make my correction when everything went crazy!

First, some soldiers who had been doing some exercise in the woods about 200 meters behind me came up the my jeep and asked if I was adjusting artillery, and stated they thought that something had "fallen off" one of my rounds between them and me, behind my jeep.

Next a crowd of soldiers came streaming up from the bottom of the hill where I was from a mortar emplacement at the foot of the OP where they had been set up and stated that there had been a very large explosion about 300 meters in front of where they had been set up (and in a blind spot for me).

And then Range Control came on the radio with the dreaded "Cease Fire and Freeze!" because there had been a round shot out of safe.

What had happened was that ONE of my first two rounds had actually hit about 100 meters BEHIND my jeep, but had come in FLAT, not steep enough to cause the fuze to function, dug a long furrow twisting slightly to the right and then continued on "wobbling slightly" (thus the whooshing sound) and continued on to detonated at the bottom of the hill in front of the mortar position.

Because I had reported rounds observed, there was no longer any way to KNOW where the gun was when shot, and ultimately it was attributed to a combination of "old powder" (it was from WW II) and a very strong head wind. The usual Hundred Mil Quadrant Error was ruled out. And nobody lost their job that day. (Including the Safety Officer who went on to become a 2-Star.)

ACTUAL Cause? One gun had set in the announced Quadrant for the volley, but NOT RAISED the tube from Loading Elevation and nobody checked to see if the bubbles were level.

Could have been a whole lot worse!!!
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Monday, July 27, 2020 - 05:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I named this topic because I never served the Bundeswehr, but only had some more or less pleasant encounters with US Army or Bundeswehr. Please tell your "adventures" or mishaps here for our entertainment. I tell my stories later.

Hans-Hermann,

You do realise don't you that this thread will run and run, and then some, as us old soldiers garner our thoughts and share accordingly?

Brian
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Monday, July 27, 2020 - 05:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

ACTUAL Cause? One gun had set in the announced Quadrant for the volley, but NOT RAISED the tube from Loading Elevation and nobody checked to see if the bubbles were level.

Ah, who can love "Rear of the piece, face the piece!"? Which I got to hear at Field Artillery School on an M102. One of the trainees thought the deflection knob should have been set to all zeroes, and changed it AFTER the instructor verified it. To say we shot off azimuth would be an understatement, although we were still in the box.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Monday, July 27, 2020 - 07:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hans-Hermann,

You do realise don't you that this thread will run and run, and then some, as us old soldiers garner our thoughts and share accordingly?

Brian

I think he did. I’ve been asked to jot some of my experiences as an armored cavalryman down, but frankly, there are too many “reminisces“, and they could go on forever. I’ll share two experiences pertaining to my CAV days:

We were on an ARTEP in Northern Bavaria in early 1978, and one of my six Sheridans broke down with a blown engine astride a one-lane bridge spanning a 20-30 foot wide river. The bridge had a straight, paved 2-lane asphalt road approach for about two kilometers. SSG Newell was the TC. There wasn’t much we could do but put out the traffic triangles out and leave the Sheridan and it’s crew there until the recovery crew came to tow it off the bridge. About five kilometers down the road, I heard an emergency call on the radio from SSG Newell, requesting an ambulance. I went back to find a BMW with its hood wedged under the front glacis plate of the Sheridan. A not so sober German man was bleeding and sitting in the drivers seat screaming in German to “get off the bridge”. He’d run head long into the track, ripping the BMWs engine out of the mounts, skidding, under and out the back of the track! It was resting just behind the Sheridan. He was badly injured, but conscious, and within a minute or two the NOTRUFF showed up to evacuate him. How he survived I don’t know. The lesson learned— don’t mess with parked armored vehicles. They’ll win every time.

Later that year, I was acting as an umpire for an exercise and sitting in my 1/4 ton on the shoulder of the main road running through Bad Neustadt Germany. As a column of M60A1’s from the Squadron passed through town, I noticed a dark green 4 door Mercedes weaving in and out of the column, coming towards me on the shoulder at a pretty high rate of speed, with a Polizei vehicle in close pursuit. As the Mercedes neared the moving column of tanks, it swerved to miss a bit of curbing, and veered directly into the track of the third tank in line. The combined movement of the track and the forward movement of the car acted together to “peel” the entire left side off the Mercedes, from front left headlight to the left rear bumper. About 200 feet beyond the collision site, the smoking Mercedes ground to a halt, missing it’s entire drivers side of the car, but the driver was un-injured. Afterwards, the Polizei told me they’d been chasing the drunk driver for about six kilometers before the M60 finally brought him to a halt. The tank column continued down the road, with one tank continuing to spew small chunks of dark green metal out of the track on the right side for several kilometers.
VR, Russ
LonCray
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 348 posts
Armorama: 256 posts
Posted: Monday, July 27, 2020 - 08:21 AM UTC
When I was in Germany (Field Station Augsburg), we didn't have organic vehicles because we were strategic MI. We lived on Sheridan Kaserne but worked on Gablingen Kaserne - either 8 or 12 hour shifts. We went to work on contracted tour busses (Karl Domberger Reisen). There were a few red 'city' busses but most were varying sizes of green tour busses - single, 1.5 and double deckers. They ran a route thru the various kasernes dropping people off. Anyway, one of the drivers was this huge black haired Austrian we called Mad Max. Very early one winter morning, I was on the top level of a double decker Max was driving. We were on Flak Kaserne near the hospital. Max took it into his head to drive that bus onto an icy empty parking lot and proceeded to drift that thing thru a full 360 spin. Those of us still awake cheered (the bus swayed but obviously didn't turn over). Anyway, somebody must've decided those shenanigans were out of bounds because from then on Max was only allowed to drive the single-deck city busses.
Scarred
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Monday, July 27, 2020 - 08:42 AM UTC
When I was at Field Station Berlin 87-89, there was a lot of protests and riots during the IMF summit being held there. We were on the bus, civilian bus civilian driver, getting ready to turn into the Grunewald heading to T-burg for a swing shift and had to pass the rioters. The threw a molotov cocktail at us hitting the bus above the right rear tire. Our driver didn't panic, just floored it to get away but the bus was on fire. He climbed the mountain and when we got to the site the LN guards rushed the bus with extinguishers while we went out the emergency exits. The bus was scorched the outer rear tire burned a bit but he drove the day shift back to Andrews Kasern. Only he took the forest roads back rather than driving thru the part of town where the riots were going on. For about the next week we took the forest roads to and from work until things settled down.
TankManNick
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 551 posts
Armorama: 543 posts
Posted: Monday, July 27, 2020 - 08:48 AM UTC
Some of these have modeling possibilities! Sheridan/M60A1 vs Mercedes anyone?
 _GOTOTOP