Hosted by Darren Baker
2P16 Luna with Frog 3 Missile
mertox
Visit this Community
Mississippi, United States
KitMaker: 39 posts
Armorama: 39 posts
Posted: Monday, July 27, 2020 - 11:24 AM UTC
Got this old kit on the cheap. You can tell this was designed with young boys building and playing with it in mind. The road wheels are hollowed out on the inside. Obvious spots for a motor. No hatch doors. The way the road wheels mount, very easy to do and keep them where they turn easily. Missile rail can be opened for closed and raised and lowered (unless you do like me and glue them in the preferred position for stability). It is a pretty simple kit and good for if you want something that has seen very little attention in the model industry. This tool was in 1988. The next tool of the 2P16 was in 2018 by Trumpeter (with a Frog-5 missile). And while I am sure the Trumpeter kit is by far the better kit in terms of details, it is also going for 100 bucks where you can find the Glencoe one for 1/4 to 1/5 that price. Forgive the picture quality. The camera on my phone is messed up and not working properly. Until I get a new phone around the first of the year, my images are going to be lower clarity than normal.

KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2020 - 04:40 AM UTC
1988 is just when Glencoe got the models and cut their name on them. It started as an ITC kit in 1959.

KL
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2020 - 04:43 AM UTC
Nice job for such an old kit.

AND I win another bet with myself.
mertox
Visit this Community
Mississippi, United States
KitMaker: 39 posts
Armorama: 39 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2020 - 10:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

1988 is just when Glencoe got the models and cut their name on them. It started as an ITC kit in 1959.

KL

I saw someone else mention that it was an ITC mold, but couldn't find any date of the original mold. Thanks for the info.
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2020 - 11:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

KL

I saw someone else mention that it was an ITC mold, but couldn't find any date of the original mold. Thanks for the info.

ITC made three kits off the same chassis: this one, a PT-76, and a BTR-50P, the first version with an open top and bench seating. I think it even came with about 15 "army men" type figures.

KL
 _GOTOTOP