_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
A bundle of teensy-weensy tanks!
Mechworker
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 352 posts
Armorama: 60 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2020 - 06:40 AM UTC
When it comes to armour, I prefer the smaller scale stuff. However, I assumed that meant 1/72 or 1/76! A few years ago, I ran across a two-pack of 1/144 tanks from Dragon. They reminded me of Micro Machines, and I thought they looked fun, so I bought them on impulse. I’ve been picking them up ever since, whenever I encounter them!

Since there are no model shows this year (thanks, Covid…), and the Canada/US border is closed (in Ontario, at least), there’s no real chance to get “hauls” at shows or hobby shop runs. However, I decided to create a “pseudo haul” by getting all my 1/144 tank kits together. They’re actually pretty cool!

Check them out at the link below, and vote for which one you like best!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/dragon-1-144-panzer-korps-collection/

pbennett
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 464 posts
Armorama: 412 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2020 - 07:13 AM UTC
Adam,

Yes, I have a small collection of these 1/144-scale kits. Considering the size, they are extremely well detailed. One of my favourites is the 'Leopold' rail gun. I exhibit my small-scale dioramas at various model shows during the year (mainly in the West Country, here in England). Bearing in mind that most of my work is with 1/76 and 1/72-scale AFVs, it is surprising how many people home in on this particular model when they are looking round my display.
Interestingly, one of my future projects will to incorporate a 1/144-scale Tiger I tanks (from this range) and a 1/24-scale figure. It will be a scene showing the building of a radio-controlled tank. Mixing these two scales will equate to someone working on a 1/6-scale model ... rather large you may think, but it is quite a common scale for RC tanks.

Paul
Mechworker
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 352 posts
Armorama: 60 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2020 - 07:20 AM UTC
The Leopold is very cool, and I am glad I got one with the turned barrel. that's a nice bonus!

What a stellar idea - to make it like the figure's working on an R/C tank! I've seen some of those big bruiser R/Cs, so that doesn't surprise me at all!

The idea of mixing scales like that... that's not something I'd thought of. You can do the same, I guess, for large figures and small planes, too, given the size of some RC aircraft!
pbennett
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 464 posts
Armorama: 412 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2020 - 08:57 AM UTC
Adam,

That's a coincidence. One of my other future projects is exactly that ... an RC Aircraft show. I've already put to one side a variety of 1/144-scale aircraft (a combination of prop and jet aircraft and a couple of helicopters). The scene ... an area of grass, with various aircraft lined-up (one undergoing maintenance), as another is being taxied out ready for take-off. I'm not sure whether to use 1/24 or 1/35-scale figures for this one. Again, 1/24 would make the aircraft 1/6 scale, 1/35 making them 1/4 scale. A deciding factor would probably be the availability of figures; 1/35 offers more in the way of figures that can be converted to suit, but there really aren't that many figures in 1/24 at all.

Something to think about.

Paul
 _GOTOTOP