_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Painting All Those Wheels....
Khouli
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 68 posts
Armorama: 68 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2020 - 07:28 PM UTC
Does anybody really enjoy painting multiple tank road wheels? I know I don't!

Anyway, i've found this amazing product - Quick Wheels. Check it out.

http://quickwheelstore.com/quickwheel/1-35-scaleqw.html
ReluctantRenegade
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,300 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2020 - 07:58 PM UTC
They've been around for quiet some time. I think it's a rip-off. I use one of these instead:

Khouli
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2020 - 08:59 PM UTC
Yes.... well, not quite the same but hey, whatever floats your boat.
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,439 posts
Armorama: 1,980 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2020 - 09:22 PM UTC
I do it the old fashioned way paint brush and a steady hand
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2020 - 09:26 PM UTC
I airbrush the hubs/centers first and when dry I paint the rubber while spinning the wheel slowly in a low powered minidrill (low power = I can use my thumb as friction brake against the side of the chuck).
A small conical dowel made from filed down sprue acts as axle for the wheels. I get the rubber on all roadwheels for a Pz IV painted in 15 minutes (32 wheel discs), 30 minutes if I have to make a new dowel.
I think it would take me the same time to get all the quick wheel masks positioned correctly ...
This method results in rubber with no overspray from painting the wheel discs. In reality there is often overspray and in that case Israels method works better.
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2020 - 09:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I tried that method on two kits, one Tamiya M1 Abrams and one Italeri Leopard 1 A4.
I realised that I would become an old hand at painting before I finished 10 models if I continued in this fashion. It drove me crazy ...

It is easier for me to hold the hair brush steady with a slowly spinning wheel , less brush strokes since one stroke goes 10 to 20 times around the wheel.
It is also kind of satisfying to watch the paint form a perfect circle, almost like watching spin forming of pottery:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iyq9Bfjvypo
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 2,365 posts
Armorama: 1,709 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2020 - 09:35 PM UTC
I do something similar... dark grey primer serves well as a rubber color, and if you do some careful airbrushing, you can do the center with minimal overspray. Which can be either corrected with diluted paint, or just weathered.
Khouli
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2020 - 09:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Been there, done that.... not only don't I have a steady hand particularly, that process has put me off finishing many a kit.

I mean, you've really GOT to want to go through that pain to endure it!
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2020 - 10:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Been there, done that.... not only don't I have a steady hand particularly, that process has put me off finishing many a kit.

Glutton for punishment?
Khouli
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2020 - 10:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Glutton for punishment?

Not half! I reckon anyone who chooses to paint road wheels freehand is the same sort of person who would pay for a particularly keen dominatrix to whip their backsides....
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2020 - 10:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

They've been around for quiet some time. I think it's a rip-off. I use one of these instead:

I use a similar one as well and it's great, careless airbrush black on the rubber part and then use the appropriated size (always one of them matches) to mask it and paint the rim.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2020 - 11:38 PM UTC
Its funny,I have used both, first a circle template which works well for some wheels but there is always the wheel that you can never find the right size hole,they always fall in between,and my template has even more holes then the one pictured.

I did try quick wheels and the like,and even some of them are not exact fit.

Neither method is foolproof,I end up with overspray that needs touch up.
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,439 posts
Armorama: 1,980 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2020 - 01:37 AM UTC
Simple build kits that don't have rubber road wheels or build kits that have separate tires like some early Dragon or Tristar kits.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2020 - 01:55 AM UTC
I've used practically every method known to man - masks, templates, rotating on a chuck, paint markers, you name it.
And for M109 series in particular discovered that paper hole reinforcers were just the right size for masking those wheels. Ultimately it comes down to what you're comfortable with, because your results more than likely will still look better than this:

Enlarge on your screen to truly appreciate the horror.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2020 - 02:02 AM UTC
Looks familiar,needs some mud effects
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2020 - 02:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Neither method is foolproof

If you make it foolproof, they'll invent a better fool...

I'm in the "spray the hub then brush the rubber" camp myself. Found out the hard way that using a circle template requires masking off the adjacent holes! But it all depends on the kit - some are easier by brush, others by template spray. The thing that puts me off the QuickWheels idea is spending money that could go on kits, paint, and AM goodies, since you need new templates for each type of tank. I've been known to use the "overspray because they do on the real thing" approach, but too many inspecors point it out like it's a flaw. (Best I did was the Panther at APG - the whole thing, wheels, rubber, and tracks - was painted in that ghost-grey they used in the 80s/90s there! No mask needed...)
Khouli
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2020 - 02:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Simple build kits that don't have rubber road wheels

Is that a joke?
Khouli
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2020 - 02:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've used practically every method known to man - masks, templates, rotating on a chuck, paint markers, you name it.
And for M109 series in particular discovered that paper hole reinforcers were just the right size for masking those wheels. Ultimately it comes down to what you're comfortable with, because your results more than likely will still look better than this:

Enlarge on your screen to truly appreciate the horror.

That was clearly hand painted by a monkey on some kind of punishment detail!
Khouli
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2020 - 02:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I'm in the "spray the hub then brush the rubber" camp myself. Found out the hard way that using a circle template requires masking off the adjacent holes! But it all depends on the kit - some are easier by brush, others by template spray. The thing that puts me off the QuickWheels idea is spending money that could go on kits, paint, and AM goodies, since you need new templates for each type of tank. I've been known to use the "overspray because they do on the real thing" approach, but too many inspecors point it out like it's a flaw. (Best I did was the Panther at APG - the whole thing, wheels, rubber, and tracks - was painted in that ghost-grey they used in the 80s/90s there! No mask needed...)

Its not a bad investment if you take PanzerKarl's advice, because you'd only ever be building a Panther G Steel Wheel version....
iwatajim
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 246 posts
Armorama: 171 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2020 - 02:36 AM UTC
I thought I was onto a winner when I decided to paint the wheels on my current build the correct black, Berlin Chieftain. But I’ve gone and decided to use rubber black for the rubber and straight black for the hubs, so back to the old circle ruler thingy!

Must say I haven’t tried the power tool method but I will be tying that out on my next build.

Oh, and I’ll add the Churchill to the options without rubber...

J.
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2020 - 03:10 AM UTC
Spray the wheel with your chosen "rubber color", template it and spray the hub / rim. That's pretty much the way I do most. It works for me. PS: Taping (masking) the adjacent template holes can't really be a chore, can it? That's what masking tape was invented for!

There are several wheel approaches - some described in this thread (the value and beauty of modeling sites like this one is this great opportunity to see how other folks do things that you may want to do - sharing techniques and approaches!) - probably everyone eventually finds something that works for them.

There are all sorts of model kits, subjects, and modeler's goals and ambitions while doing them. The OP's query points, as I see things, to one of the bigger "themes" about our hobby: "Do you find it ALL enjoyable?"

As I understand it, hobbies are things that you do for enjoyment. IF you like it, do it. No gun aimed at your head to "perform or else".

But, it's surely evident to all that every hobby has its less-enjoyable aspects and moments. I love fishing: Hooked fingers and tangled line are not hi-points. Fruitlessly waiting out at a bad location isn't, either. I love shooting. Extracting failed casings isn't a hi-point for me. I like astronomy. Freezing at the telescope on that cold, clear night isn't something that calls me there. The list of hobby "less fun parts" is huge when one considers all the hobbies folks indulge in. EVERY hobby comes with these features. IF the hobby is "for you", deal with them and enjoy the hobby for its bigger rewards. If the aspect weighs heavy on you and leaves you feeling less enjoyment about the hobby... Maybe move along to something different. Most plane kits have a lot fewer wheels!

So... Like building and detailing complex, parts-rich tracked armor kits? Painting the many wheels comes with all the other fun! Beating the less-fun bumps may actually make the end-points all the more satisfying!

PS: For those more obsessive about road wheels... Some (I, 4 1) find the wheels to be key features of builds. They are prominent and visible components of most tanks, and, IMHO, well worth taking a bit of time with to bring out their potential. Take the German Pz. III... The roadies had these little metal flanges on the track-horn side of each wheel... there is no quick way to do those up to their detail potential! But boy can they pop the Pz. III build! And look at all the wear and tear that is seen on real roadies on used vehicles! No quick solutions there, either! But wow, the pop when done! Find your technique to attain your goal and enjoy the hobby!

Just my thoughts, folks! Bob
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2020 - 03:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Its not a bad investment if you take PanzerKarl's advice, because you'd only ever be building a Panther G Steel Wheel version....

There are some Soviet/Russian tanks as well, KV, some T-34's, JS/IS-series. On the western side there is Conqueror, Churchil(already mentioned), tanks from WW I and the period between the world wars
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2020 - 03:33 AM UTC
To put things into perspective:
Whenever I feel frustrated by painting a [s h i t]-load of wheels I switch over to cleaning up and assembling a gazillion fiddly indy-link track parts ....
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2020 - 04:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

To put things into perspective:
Whenever I feel frustrated by painting a [s h i t]-load of wheels I switch over to cleaning up and assembling a gazillion fiddly indy-link track parts ....

That's one sure way of conquering road-wheel fatigue! Sorta a "from the frying pan into the fire" solution!

And here I was just a few minutes ago down in my stash shed rounding up 3 Hobby Boss Soviet T-26 kits for a 3-at-1-time type-build... each kit has perhaps 900+ parts - perhaps 450 of which are tiny indy links plus 2 VERY tiny track pins for each link! I'm surely going to be lusting for a few dozen roadies by the time I've put all those track bits together!
kaleu
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 123 posts
Armorama: 112 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2020 - 04:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Does anybody really enjoy painting multiple tank road wheels? I know I don't!

Anyway, i've found this amazing product - Quick Wheels. Check it out.

http://quickwheelstore.com/quickwheel/1-35-scaleqw.html

I use these mask as well. Especially if I have multiple kits of the same vehicle. I can be done painting wheels in under 5 minutes. A great timesaver.
 _GOTOTOP