_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
News
ICM: Battle of Kursk
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2020 - 10:38 AM UTC

ICM adds a Battle of Kursk set to their catalogue, with a gun and a T-34 tank.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Dioramartin
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,476 posts
Armorama: 1,463 posts
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2020 - 12:43 PM UTC
Seriously? The kindest thing to say is that it must be an entry-level set, it all looks like 1/72 scaled up & re-boxed from the mid 1970’s, maybe the missing PaK is better. Pity the concept’s so unrepresentative of the battles of the Kursk salient too, predominantly the opposite of what’s depicted here. ICM’s been producing some far better stuff in recent years, hopefully this is a temporary aberration
Chepster
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 38 posts
Armorama: 36 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 01, 2020 - 02:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Seriously? The kindest thing to say is that it must be an entry-level set, it all looks like 1/72 scaled up & re-boxed from the mid 1970’s, maybe the missing PaK is better. Pity the concept’s so unrepresentative of the battles of the Kursk salient too, predominantly the opposite of what’s depicted here. ICM’s been producing some far better stuff in recent years, hopefully this is a temporary aberration

I've seen the price of this set and it is an entry level price. New modellers have got to start somewhere and not everyone who shares in this hobby want or are able to spend a lot of money, so good on ICM for bringing out a selection box at a reasonable price.
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 01, 2020 - 03:06 AM UTC
Sure, why not? And at very least, the figure poses are interesting.☀️
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 3,778 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 01, 2020 - 12:39 PM UTC
Was just thinking the same thing. The hobby otherwise dies with us and I'm not getting any younger so the next batch have to cut their teeth on something affordable before taking on the Uber kits. If you can get them away from their cursed phones.
Dioramartin
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,476 posts
Armorama: 1,463 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 01, 2020 - 06:12 PM UTC
No argument about that Frank, my point was that “entry-level” shouldn’t be synonymous with low quality - the figures & T34 look little better than toys but the same basic skills required to make them would also make a far better product, and ICM has some at the dustier end of their inventory which could be reissued for a similar price.

I have doubts how many younger players are being attracted to our hobby anyway – particularly military subjects of the past 100 years – whatever the product standard. Maybe this is an experiment aimed at oldies like us who, as you say, are trying to get the grandkids using their hands & brains in a more practical way, no matter what. I guess we’ll know soon enough whether it’s successful
UpperCanadian
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 152 posts
Armorama: 133 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 01, 2020 - 07:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

No argument about that Frank, my point was that “entry-level” shouldn’t be synonymous with low quality - the figures & T34 look little better than toys but the same basic skills required to make them would also make a far better product, and ICM has some at the dustier end of their inventory which could be reissued for a similar price.

I have doubts how many younger players are being attracted to our hobby anyway – particularly military subjects of the past 100 years – whatever the product standard. Maybe this is an experiment aimed at oldies like us who, as you say, are trying to get the grandkids using their hands & brains in a more practical way, no matter what. I guess we’ll know soon enough whether it’s successful

I'm 33, does that count as young?
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 02, 2020 - 04:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm 33, does that count as young?

🤔 I’m this many...
🖐🤚🖐🤚🖐🤚🖐🤚🖐🤚🖐🤚🖐🤚☝️
Anybody younger than me is a kid! 😂
nsjohn
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 279 posts
Armorama: 265 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 02, 2020 - 06:50 AM UTC
The ICM T34 was first released in 2015, and was reviewed on here. While not the best, and I am not in general a "fan" of ICM, having built it, it is unfair to state that it looks like an upscaled 1/72 scale model. I do think it is fair to say that we are still waiting for an accurate model of the tank. I agree the figures don't look great, but I have seen a lot worse from other manufacturers.
 _GOTOTOP