_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Question about Panzerbefehlswagen 38t Hetzer
Phillipjl
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 18 posts
Armorama: 18 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 02, 2020 - 03:19 PM UTC
Hello all, its been a while since I have posted here, I haven’t built a serious model in almost a year! I currently have an Eduard Hetzer Mid Production on the bench, and I just recently realized the radio setup included with the model is for a Befehls Panzer. This leaves with a few options:
1. Omit said radios, and replace with some boxes, as I have seen in reference photos
2. Keep said radios, and install a set of befehls antennae (antennas?)
I lean towards option 2 for several reasons, but. I am no Hetzer expert, (yet) so I do not know the correct arrangement of antennae, I believe standard antenna on right rear flank, plus a star antenna oposite on the left. I also do not know how the star antenna was mounted, as I would need to scratch build the mounting. Another question mark is wheather there are other features on the Befehls version that would also need attention. The last (for now) question would be of time period, would a Mid vehicle indeed be correct for this setup?
Thanks for the feedback, This site, and its members have always been fantastic, keep up the good work!
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Monday, August 03, 2020 - 10:37 AM UTC
Dragon kit 6060 is a Command Hetzer, instructions are available online and on a quick (and inexpert) look, seems the star antenna was the only difference -providing you trust Dragon. Yo can see the mount as well.

It says that Thomas Anderson was involved, which is a good reference for me.

This is the only photo I have been able to find:

Phillipjl
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, August 03, 2020 - 12:53 PM UTC
Thank you, that is helpful. I also struggle to find good reference photos, but the one you came up with is pretty good, it shows the shape and location well. I also downloaded the dragon instructions, per your suggestion, they show the mount well too. Again, thanks for the info, I’m sure I can work with this, but I’ll keep digging too. Cheers!
plastickjunkie
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 399 posts
Armorama: 157 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 04, 2020 - 02:26 AM UTC
Keep digging just to be sure. I don't trust Dragon or any other kit manufacturer references as for the most they are lacking details or totally wrong. It happened to me with a recent Dragon Firefly build that I neglected to double check things.

By the way, I built the Eduard (non command version) Hetzer years ago and is a fine looking well detailed kit.
Phillipjl
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 04, 2020 - 11:48 PM UTC
Thanks, its got some mixed reviews, and I have found some parts a bit over simplified, but it seems to be a great starting point for some extra detailing. I have not built any full interior kit yet, so I am enjoying this one. Are there any good full interior hetzer kits out there, besides this one?
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2020 - 05:50 AM UTC
It’s up to you of course but I’m really not sure that it’s worthwhile putting much of an interior in a Jpz 38. I did in 1/76 years ago and practically nothing is visible through the tiny roof hatches.

Someone (Eduard or Academy, I think Eduard) did one with an interior but when I examined the sprues it looked cruder than the Dragon offering. If you must have some innards visible through the hatches, I’d suggest scratchbuilding a few shapes - there are interior drawings in existence to give some clues. If you add any crew in the two hatches, nothing is visible inside.
marcb
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,244 posts
Armorama: 1,226 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2020 - 08:59 AM UTC
This kit shows the antenna mount:
https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10037571
Phillipjl
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, August 06, 2020 - 05:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It’s up to you of course but I’m really not sure that it’s worthwhile putting much of an interior in a Jpz 38. I did in 1/76 years ago and practically nothing is visible through the tiny roof hatches.

Someone (Eduard or Academy, I think Eduard) did one with an interior but when I examined the sprues it looked cruder than the Dragon offering. If you must have some innards visible through the hatches, I’d suggest scratchbuilding a few shapes - there are interior drawings in existence to give some clues. If you add any crew in the two hatches, nothing is visible inside.

Thank you, I am planning to leave the roof section removable to make the interior more visible. How is the Dragon kit, it seems ot wouldnt be hard to be better than the Eduard kit I am currently assembling.
 _GOTOTOP