_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Best low priced 1/35 M1A1 out there
oyoy23
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 410 posts
Armorama: 119 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 06, 2020 - 07:44 AM UTC
I was thinking between Tamiya and Italeri
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 06, 2020 - 07:57 AM UTC
Seen this?

https://vodnik.net/pages/m1-comparison/m1comp1.htm

Pavel is pretty knowledgeable on the subject.
Johnnych01
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 604 posts
Armorama: 506 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 06, 2020 - 09:09 AM UTC
That is a great link Robert, thanks for posting. It was very informative. Like Sean I've been meaning to get some US hardware for while so that info was a good indication.
One thing I am not sure on is the anti slip coating. I heard others talking about various things they use, but what exactly is available for people to use that replicates it well ?
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 06, 2020 - 09:36 AM UTC
In the US there is "Rustolium"s terracotta spray paint that works well.
maximus8425
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 331 posts
Armorama: 320 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 06, 2020 - 09:38 AM UTC
Hi Johnny, I'm using VMS hull tex on my Merkava MK2 for the Israeli campaign. It's gone on really easily and looks the part. The picture below is just after I had applied it, it's now undercoated and looks even better. I'll take a picture tomorrow so you can see it undercoated.

TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 06, 2020 - 09:53 AM UTC
Word of advice...
Do not let a few dollars be the deciding factor for a great kit.
If you are just starting out building kits then , OK. However I have gone both ways and when you see the final finished project, it is easy to tell the difference between cheap and a better kit. I would ask which version M1 you want. If you don't want an interior state that in your question.
Johnnych01
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 604 posts
Armorama: 506 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 06, 2020 - 10:20 AM UTC
Cheers Max, it looks really good and pretty authentic to my eye. You may of solved that issue for me. And even before you put the painted version on in a pic, I can tell it's going to look the part.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 06, 2020 - 10:31 AM UTC
I agree with TopSmith. Spend as few bucks more for a quality kit.

I still think the Dragon M1A1 AIM, M1A2 SEP, and M1A2 SEP V2 are the best detailed. A close second are the Rye Field models.

The VMS Hull Tex is good on a Merkava, but to rough for an Abrams. The Rustoleum Terra Cotta method is still the best for US anti-slip coating.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 06, 2020 - 10:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The VMS Hull Tex is good on a Merkava, but to rough for an Abrams. The Rustoleum Terra Cotta method is still the best for US anti-slip coating.

Whereas I personally find the Terra Cotta too smooth for a lot of US vehicles. (and a bit out of scale)
Most of the texture I see is very roughly applied. The Stryker series is one notable exception however.

M1A3:

M1117:

And Stryker for good measure - almost imperceptible:

While Bradleys (at least according to my photos) run the gamut from fairly uniform, but thicker than Strykers, to somewhat scattered and sparse:

Back when I was doing an assload of Merkavas I'd use white glue and sprinkle sand in a scattered pattern, as a lot of their early texture appeared just so - scattered.

With most US vehicles I now like to use Gorilla Glue - it's thick enough that you can "comb" those application lines into it with a fine saw blade. Then I add medium from my sand blasting cabinet. A jug of that stuff'll last a lifetime. And it's safe for the environment!

Ultimately I don't think there's a "best" method that covers all vehicles.
Kenaicop
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,426 posts
Armorama: 1,316 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 06, 2020 - 11:38 AM UTC
Robert, do you have more pics of the V3 your keeping from me? 😂
maximus8425
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 331 posts
Armorama: 320 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 06, 2020 - 09:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Cheers Max, it looks really good and pretty authentic to my eye. You may of solved that issue for me. And even before you put the painted version on in a pic, I can tell it's going to look the part.

Here are the pics of the hull undercoated and also the turret. As Gino said and after looking at the photos Robert posted the VMS stuff does look a bit rough for US vehicles. I suppose it will be down to personal preference at the time. I will say the VMS stuff is extremely easy to use. I read on a different thread that there would be enough in the bottles for 2 to 3 vehicles but I would say there is way more than that. I have hardly used any, by the way I have left it intentionally patchy as looking at pics of Mk2's they look very world weary and worn.

18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2020 - 12:14 AM UTC
That looks very good. I think as time went on Merkava texture looked more uniform. As I said above, I intentionally mad this texture look somewhat scattered on this early Merk as that's how it looked in my references.

Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2020 - 12:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Word of advice...
Do not let a few dollars be the deciding factor for a great kit.
If you are just starting out building kits then , OK. However I have gone both ways and when you see the final finished project, it is easy to tell the difference between cheap and a better kit. I would ask which version M1 you want. If you don't want an interior state that in your question.

I agree 100%
Take a look at the Meng TS-32,very nice except the fiddly tracks,could get an AIM, TUSK out of it

Also Ryefield makes a Gulf War version,no interior on #5006
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2020 - 12:47 AM UTC
If you want an inexpensive Abrams check out Trumpeter's Abrams. If you can find their 5 in 1 kit it should be under $30.
I have no idea about the quality of this kit BUT it was one of their earlier releases.
Good Luck in your quest !
horrido666
KitMaker: 37 posts
Armorama: 30 posts
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2020 - 01:10 AM UTC
Rust-oleum 2X Ultra Cover Paint + Primer, Satin Oregano looks a lot like faded olive drab, too. I use it on big projects.
hugoalejandro
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 23 posts
Armorama: 23 posts
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2020 - 03:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If you want an inexpensive Abrams check out Trumpeter's Abrams. If you can find their 5 in 1 kit it should be under $30.
I have no idea about the quality of this kit BUT it was one of their earlier releases.
Good Luck in your quest !

Those old kits are almost as bad as the Italeri one, with a lot of shortcuts and simplifications.
Some people can live with those without problem, but the main flaw of these kits is the evident wrong shape of the turret front.
I should put my $$ on Meng M1A1 kit or Dragon M1A1 AIM kit # 3535.

junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,728 posts
Armorama: 1,629 posts
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2020 - 05:14 AM UTC
'Best' and 'low priced'. One or the other, not both! If it has to be an M1A1, ideally Dragon would be my choice, followed by Tamiya. If you want an up to date M1A2, consider the newer Academy kits.

Jim
Ringleheim
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 184 posts
Armorama: 183 posts
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2020 - 12:25 PM UTC
For the texture effect I have used Mr. Surfacer 500, with a stippling action of a flat edge paint brush. It works quite well and yields texture in scale.

_GOTOTOP