_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Shermans on the way to Arnhem
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 06, 2020 - 03:22 PM UTC
been reading Ryan's "A Bridge Too Far" again for probably the fourth time. I've learned to respect the British Paratrooper in a big way, but now have gotten myself into the Irish Guards and Horrick's tanks. Decided to build a couple Shermans that were in that great battle. I know they used Firefly MK.Vc's, but can't quite figure out what 75mm gun Shermans they used. I see a lot of welded hulls and even a few cast hulls, and after that I'm pretty much at a loss. Anybody here (from the other side of the pond) want to help a bloke from the "Colonies"?
gary
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 06, 2020 - 04:17 PM UTC
Market Garden then and now is a great book. The lead during the break through, Irish Guards, Guards Armored, had M4A4's, mostly 75mm gun tanks, and Firefly's.

8th Armored Brigade which was sent up to support and help the airborne hold the flanks had a mix of M4's, M4 Firefly's, M4 Comp Firefly's, M4A1's, M4A2's and probably M4A4 Firefly's.
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 06, 2020 - 06:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

been reading Ryan's "A Bridge Too Far" again for probably the fourth time. I've learned to respect the British Paratrooper in a big way, but now have gotten myself into the Irish Guards and Horrick's tanks. Decided to build a couple Shermans that were in that great battle. I know they used Firefly MK.Vc's, but can't quite figure out what 75mm gun Shermans they used. I see a lot of welded hulls and even a few cast hulls, and after that I'm pretty much at a loss. Anybody here (from the other side of the pond) want to help a bloke from the "Colonies"?
gary

Guards were almost exclusively Sherman V but had Firefly as well as Vc. *AB was primarily a Sherman III based formation but had started to get M4 Hybrids as replacements by then. Fireflies were all three types but mainly VC
Al
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2020 - 12:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

gary

Guards were almost exclusively Sherman V but had Firefly as well as Vc. *AB was primarily a Sherman III based formation but had started to get M4 Hybrids as replacements by then. Fireflies were all three types but mainly VC
Al

Al, you helped me with some data on the 8th AB. The ATB books on Market Garden have a series of pictures captioned 44RTR that show Sherman I, II, IC and IC Hybrids supporting the 82nd AB. If the captions are wrong, and idea what unit the tanks are from?
marcb
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,244 posts
Armorama: 1,226 posts
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2020 - 01:14 AM UTC
Get the Asuka kit.
Star decals or Archer transfers might make apropriate decals.
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2020 - 01:25 AM UTC
Gary,

Certainly the Nottinghamshire Yeomanry (Sherwood Rangers) were detached from 8 Armoured Brigade to support 82 Airborne at Nijmegen.

Whilst I can identify the unit readily enough I'm afraid I'm no Sherman expert so regret I can't help with the tank types. I'm sure others will fill the gap.

Brian
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2020 - 08:46 AM UTC
Notts Yeo, like the rest of 8AB, was principally equipped with the diesel M4A2.

44 R Tanks was, from memory, part of 4AB, which has mostly radial M4/M4A1s.

17pdr tanks were initially M4A4-based but the incidence of radial-engined ones increased as replacements were based on those hulls. Obviously 8AB 17pdr tanks were all on petrol hulls, as the A2 was not converted.

And the XXX Corps commander was Brian Horrocks.
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2020 - 10:05 AM UTC
Brian, Robert, thank you.

As Marc said the Asuka M4A4 is a good choice. I have the RFM M4A4 Firefly and I think it is as good as the Asuka kit so far. RFM was definitely inspired by Asuka.
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2020 - 03:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

gary

44 RTR was part of 4 AB and mainly used M4A1 variants including a handful of Composites as seen during the MG operation. From memory they were operating unbrigaded at the time.

Al

Al, you helped me with some data on the 8th AB. The ATB books on Market Garden have a series of pictures captioned 44RTR that show Sherman I, II, IC and IC Hybrids supporting the 82nd AB. If the captions are wrong, and idea what unit the tanks are from?

44 RTR were part of 4 AB but were operating independant of the Brigade under command 101st AB. They were primarily equipped with M4A1 but a handful of M4 Hybrids were in use during this period. The Fireflies were predominatly Vc stil lbut a number of 1c Hybrid and Welded were in use in late 44. As for kits I would recommend Asuka/Tasca (get Tasca if available) for the Shermn 1,II,III,V and 1c or RFM for the Vc

trickymissfit
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2020 - 06:18 PM UTC
guys, here's what I have on hand at the moment:

Asuka and Dragon Firefly Vc's, and maybe a couple Ic's
I have several Asuka M4's with the 75mm gun, and that becomes a quagmire. I do have one Asuka M4a2, but dot sure if it's a diesel or gas. Looks like a guy could build kits for years; what with the wide range of equipment used.

The book is a great read with little if any slant one way or the other. In the past I sorta buzzed thru the glider landings, and now I really got interested in the events involving them as well (I now know why my first Platoon Sargent was so proud of his glider patch and Pathfinder tab!)

Guys! Thanks for your replies, and lets keep this thread moving as we're just five weeks away from the 76th birthday of Market Garden.
gary
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2020 - 07:19 PM UTC
M4A2 was diesel by definition. The others used by the Commonwealth were all petrol-engined.

The important thing (for me anyway) is to have the right type in each unit. The British logically tried to keep units to one type as far as possible as it simplified logistics and result. If your twin diesels break, you won’t get far if all the spares you can find are for a Chrysler Multibank or a radial.

When you come to markings, depending on your library you may want to seek further help. The system was logical but intended to make it not easy for enemy forces to identify who they were fighting.
DanEgan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 42 posts
Armorama: 42 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 08, 2020 - 01:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

been reading Ryan's "A Bridge Too Far" again for probably the fourth time.

I would urge you to read "Magnificent Disaster", which is a far better history of the offensive and will give you a much better understanding of the events. ABTF is great storytelling but doesn't get at the heart of the operational issues.
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 08, 2020 - 07:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

been reading Ryan's "A Bridge Too Far" again for probably the fourth time.

I would urge you to read "Magnificent Disaster", which is a far better history of the offensive and will give you a much better understanding of the events. ABTF is great storytelling but doesn't get at the heart of the operational issues.

I will have to find Magnificent Disaster. Another good book that has a lot of detail about the events before, during and after Market Garden from the German perspective is Autumn Gale.
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 08, 2020 - 07:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have several Asuka M4's with the 75mm gun, and that becomes a quagmire. I do have one Asuka M4a2, but dot sure if it's a diesel or gas. Looks like a guy could build kits for years; what with the wide range of equipment used.

The book is a great read with little if any slant one way or the other. In the past I sorta buzzed thru the glider landings, and now I really got interested in the events involving them as well (I now know why my first Platoon Sargent was so proud of his glider patch and Pathfinder tab!)

Guys! Thanks for your replies, and lets keep this thread moving as we're just five weeks away from the 76th birthday of Market Garden.
gary

You are not kidding, Commonwealth tanks are confusing at best. If you want to do the main tank unit of the breakthrough then the Irish Guards, and the Asuka M4A4's are your best choice.

I met a group of glider pilots at a WWII display at Yuma Proving Grounds many years ago. Most survived Europe, but one pilot was to land in the first wave in Japan. A wonderful set of veterans.

I met a nephew of Horrocks at a local gun show back in the 90's. One of the group was dressed as a British soldier so he got to talking with us. He commented that Horrocks would tell the family he told Monty the plan wouldn't work. Not sure if Horrocks said anything publicly, or if the nephew was misquoting his uncle.
trickymissfit
Posted: Saturday, August 08, 2020 - 03:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

gary

You are not kidding, Commonwealth tanks are confusing at best. If you want to do the main tank unit of the breakthrough then the Irish Guards, and the Asuka M4A4's are your best choice.

I met a group of glider pilots at a WWII display at Yuma Proving Grounds many years ago. Most survived Europe, but one pilot was to land in the first wave in Japan. A wonderful set of veterans.

I met a nephew of Horrocks at a local gun show back in the 90's. One of the group was dressed as a British soldier so he got to talking with us. He commented that Horrocks would tell the family he told Monty the plan wouldn't work. Not sure if Horrocks said anything publicly, or if the nephew was misquoting his uncle.

well Horrocks was no dummy! Most folks only know of him from Arnhem, but he combat record is quite a tale. I've heard there is an authorized bio, but have never seen it. J.O.E. Vandeleur would be another very interesting personality to investigate.
gary
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, August 09, 2020 - 02:43 AM UTC
Horrocks’s autobiography is ‘Corps commander’, a fascinating tale. He was lucky to survive campaigning in Russia during the civil war.
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 09, 2020 - 02:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Horrocks’s autobiography is ‘Corps commander’, a fascinating tale. He was lucky to survive campaigning in Russia during the civil war.

See also "A Full Life", published in 1960. His last official appointment was as Black Rod or to give it its full title "Gentleman Usher of the Black Rod in the House of Lords".
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, August 09, 2020 - 03:30 AM UTC
Ah yes, and that one! Also a good read.
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 09, 2020 - 06:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'll look for the book.

Ages ago I met a very old veteran at a show. He had been part of the US Siberian group and escaped through China if I remember correctly.
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 09, 2020 - 06:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

See also "A Full Life", published in 1960. His last official appointment was as Black Rod or to give it its full title "Gentleman Usher of the Black Rod in the House of Lords".

Another one to look for.
trickymissfit
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2020 - 07:49 AM UTC
two things:

1. J.O.E. Vandeluer wrote a bio. I'm ordering it today

2. do I take it right that a Sherman M4a4 is what you guys call a Sherman V.? If so, it looks like Asuka is the only game in town.
gary
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2020 - 07:59 AM UTC
Not sure who ‘you guys’ are but the M4A4 is the Sherman V, yes. M4 is Sherman I, M4A1 is Sherman II etc..
iguanac
Visit this Community
Belgrade, Serbia & Montenegro
KitMaker: 145 posts
Armorama: 131 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2020 - 08:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

two things:

2. do I take it right that a Sherman M4a4 is what you guys call a Sherman V.? If so, it looks like Asuka is the only game in town.
gary

Vandeleur's grandson was British military attache here in Belgrade in mid 2000's. He knew a lot about Challenger tanks as i was lucky enough to speak with him.
As for Sherman V, you might look for old Dragon kit that comes with Nationalist Chinese markings. Pay attention as early series oh Firefly were plagued by incorrect lenght of the hull, so i am unaware whether the same issues were characteristic of this kit. I guess scalemates site would be helpful here.
marcb
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,244 posts
Armorama: 1,226 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2020 - 11:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

two things:

gary

The Asuka kit is the best kit available. If you want, you can add these:
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/mj-miniatures-mjez35002-wwii-us-clamp-tool-set--1270501
trickymissfit
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2020 - 04:33 PM UTC
once again, thanks to all of you for your vast input. I know very little about Commonwealth armor to be honest.
gary
 _GOTOTOP