_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
British Army ATV Quad Bike Trailer Question
Klaus-Adler
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
Armorama: 840 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2020 - 10:07 PM UTC
Hi all,

i'm looking for some advice as to what i can load into the back of the british army quad bile trailer? i know there is an after market accessories pack that was posted on this site but it didn't look that good as i spotted a US army .5 cal WW2 ammo can in it.

so if anyone has any suggestions, pictures etc that would be great, thanks.
terminators
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 1,932 posts
Armorama: 1,907 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2020 - 11:48 PM UTC
Hardigg cases, rations boxes, rucksacks ?
maximus8425
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 331 posts
Armorama: 320 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2020 - 11:51 PM UTC
Is there much difference between a US .5oh ammunition box and a British one? In British Service that size ammunition container is used for boxes of 5.56mm ammunition, typically 900 rounds in cardboard boxes or bandoliers of 150 rounds. Also smaller boxes of 200 7.62mm link ammunition for GPMG's, though these are generally kept in 4 box bulk pallets. They would be painted the gloss brown colour that the British Army uses.
Also there could be extra water usually in black jerrycans or maybe even boxed or plastic wrapped packs, possibly extra rations, batteries of various sizes for the equipment that use them though I imagine they will be in cardboard boxes also. Collapsable ladders or stretchers could be carried or just about anything the Company OC or CSM wanted carrying.
They were also used for offloading supplies from helicopters and transferring casualties to them. Alternatively you could tarpaulin the whole trailer so nothing is seen in there.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2020 - 11:51 PM UTC
Anything wanted in a forward point. Ammunition, water, food and so on.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2020 - 01:45 AM UTC
Santa's elves ?

H.P.
Klaus-Adler
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2020 - 02:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Santa's elves ?

H.P.

LOL Frenchy,

that was the only picture i could find while i was on the net this morning... can't find any pictures of ammo cans or water containers in them as so many people have suggested.
House
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 55 posts
Armorama: 53 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2020 - 02:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Is there much difference between a US .5oh ammunition box and a British one? In British Service that size ammunition container is used for boxes of 5.56mm ammunition, typically 900 rounds in cardboard boxes or bandoliers of 150 rounds. Also smaller boxes of 200 7.62mm link ammunition for GPMG's, though these are generally kept in 4 box bulk pallets. They would be painted the gloss brown colour that the British Army uses.
Also there could be extra water usually in black jerrycans or maybe even boxed or plastic wrapped packs, possibly extra rations, batteries of various sizes for the equipment that use them though I imagine they will be in cardboard boxes also. Collapsable ladders or stretchers could be carried or just about anything the Company OC or CSM wanted carrying.
They were also used for offloading supplies from helicopters and transferring casualties to them. Alternatively you could tarpaulin the whole trailer so nothing is seen in there.

Accurate Armour has 7.62 ammo boxes loose packed that look identical to ours except that the markings are different.
A015
7.62mm Ammo Boxes
(loose SLR)

When I get back in the studio I'll send you my load ideas.

Mike
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2020 - 02:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...that was the only picture i could find while i was on the net this morning... can't find any pictures of ammo cans or water containers in them...

I bet there are some ammo cans and water jugs in there somewhere.

Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2020 - 02:44 AM UTC
Tarp option :

H.P.
Klaus-Adler
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2020 - 06:48 AM UTC
Thanks Mike and Frenchy, I was trying to find some Milan or javelin ammo tubes but I am struggling there as well. AA no longer has the Milan tubes and legend does do the whole javelin set up so I might be able to make some copies of the launcher tubes from there.

I was also looking at some of the water containers and brown rectangular metal boxes. there is also an option for drinks in cardboard boxes but I am unsure what brand of bottled water was available to British troops in Afghanistan.
maximus8425
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 331 posts
Armorama: 320 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2020 - 09:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

...that was the only picture i could find while i was on the net this morning... can't find any pictures of ammo cans or water containers in them...

I bet there are some ammo cans and water jugs in there somewhere.

I agree, it seems a no brainer to me, carry what is heaviest, water and ammunition is about as heavy as it comes. Resupply when needed.

gogs007
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 313 posts
Armorama: 285 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2020 - 06:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Mike and Frenchy, I was trying to find some Milan or javelin ammo tubes but I am struggling there as well. AA no longer has the Milan tubes and legend does do the whole javelin set up so I might be able to make some copies of the launcher tubes from there.

I was also looking at some of the water containers and brown rectangular metal boxes. there is also an option for drinks in cardboard boxes but I am unsure what brand of bottled water was available to British troops in Afghanistan.

Hi if you are looking for Milan tubes you get them in the Italeri support weapons set, I might have a couple spare let me know if it helps also I didn’t know legend did a javelin I thought it was black dog
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 546 posts
Armorama: 541 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2020 - 10:05 PM UTC
Milan has been out of service for ages, though (2005, IIRC). It’s OSD may be earlier than that vintage quad bike.
Klaus-Adler
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, August 13, 2020 - 03:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Milan has been out of service for ages, though (2005, IIRC). It’s OSD may be earlier than that vintage quad bike.

i am working beside an agency driver who used to be in the argylls and southern highlanders and he was telling me milan were in afghanistan during his first tour there, so that's the info i have at the moment.

HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 13, 2020 - 03:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi if you are looking for Milan tubes you get them in the Italeri support weapons set, I might have a couple spare let me know if it helps also I didn’t know legend did a javelin I thought it was black dog

Black Dog Javelin missiles are incorrect, like many of their products.
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 546 posts
Armorama: 541 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 13, 2020 - 07:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

i am working beside an agency driver who used to be in the argylls and southern highlanders and he was telling me milan were in afghanistan during his first tour there, so that's the info i have at the moment.

Thanks. I’d apply the “trust but verify” method here & only include if pictures are a avialable.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Thursday, August 13, 2020 - 07:43 PM UTC
MILAN missile firing from a WMIK, Afghanistan, Op Herrick IV, 2006

H.P.
Bish69
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 22 posts
Armorama: 18 posts
Posted: Friday, August 14, 2020 - 09:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Camp Bastion had its own water supply and bottling plant. So you won't find any branded water bottles.

My Batalion had switched to javelin by the time of Telic 9, late 2006. But if these bikes were carrying MILAN missiles, they would probably be carrying them in the missile containers, which Accurate Armour still sell.
Klaus-Adler
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2020 - 04:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Camp Bastion had its own water supply and bottling plant. So you won't find any branded water bottles.

My Batalion had switched to javelin by the time of Telic 9, late 2006. But if these bikes were carrying MILAN missiles, they would probably be carrying them in the missile containers, which Accurate Armour still sell.

what branded water bottles were used away from Camp Bastion, i'm assuming that the quad bikes were used further out such as Sangin or even FOB Edinburgh?

with regards to the stock that Accurate Armour has, you will see below that after doing a search using the word "Milan" there isn't much available, the bulk containers are still there but individual missiles are no longer being stocked and neither are the man portable launcher systems.

I know that there are a few other items no longer stocked or discontinued and that the owner has cancelled a lot of appearances at show due to ill health. i have a horrible feel that this company maybe slowly closing it's doors, i really hope not but they have stopped doing the Saxon, Jackal and Coyote vehicles as well

Bish69
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 22 posts
Armorama: 18 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 16, 2020 - 05:10 AM UTC
The water was flown out from Bastion to the FOB's. I was there for 3 months with JHSU sending out underslung and hicks loads on the Chinooks, so we handeled everything that went out.

I have noticed the range reducing, but some of it i put down to plastic kits being produced of some of their kits and other simnply because they did not sell. I got one of their MILAN posts last year for my 432 and when i saw stock was running low i grabbed another for the HB WMIK with MILAN kit. It would be a shame if they were no longer there but hopefully things will pick up as the Covid eases. But i would grab the MILAN boxes while you can.
Klaus-Adler
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, August 16, 2020 - 09:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The water was flown out from Bastion to the FOB's. I was there for 3 months with JHSU sending out underslung and hicks loads on the Chinooks, so we handeled everything that went out.

I have noticed the range reducing, but some of it i put down to plastic kits being produced of some of their kits and other simnply because they did not sell. I got one of their MILAN posts last year for my 432 and when i saw stock was running low i grabbed another for the HB WMIK with MILAN kit. It would be a shame if they were no longer there but hopefully things will pick up as the Covid eases. But i would grab the MILAN boxes while you can.

oh well if i can't use some boxes of bottled water perhaps i can get away with filling the trailer with some cases of cola, fanta or red bull since the milan missles look like they wont be an option and neither are the javelin rounds. i do have some metal tin 81mm mortar round boxes and a few 7.62 link boxes as well.

Klaus-Adler
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2020 - 03:47 AM UTC
Well using the Legends kit i cast my own missile launcher tubes and this is what i have done.

gogs007
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 313 posts
Armorama: 285 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2020 - 05:41 AM UTC
They look good, what legend kit are they in.
stikpusher
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 83 posts
Armorama: 79 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2020 - 07:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The OP wrote that he saw a WWII era US .50 ammo can on the stowage set. Not simply a US current type .50 ammo can. Those WWII cans are a bit different in appearance with stamped ribbing on the top, front, and rear. They were replaced by the type currently in use during the Vietnam era. So it is a bit of an anachronism.
Klaus-Adler
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2020 - 12:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

They look good, what legend kit are they in.

sorry mate they're from the blackdog 1/35 anti tank weapons set, I got them mixed up with the legend set.
 _GOTOTOP