_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
New M1 variants
JmeDubya
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 124 posts
Armorama: 124 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 16, 2020 - 11:18 AM UTC
Ok so this is a factory new M1A2C... Front turret armor and lower front hull armor increased, low profile crows, turbine apu exhaust, and the new sets of tow/lift hooks, correct?

https://i2.wp.com/militaryleak.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/us-army-3rd-armored-brigade-combat-team-receives-m1a2c-sep-v-3-main-battle-tanks.jpg?fit=1000%2C667&ssl=1

Is there a actual nomenclature yet for these? The M1A2 Sep V2+? With new armor cassette on turret face, TUSK/ARAT and trophy gear on turret top?

https://militaryleak.com/2020/07/20/us-army-deploys-m1a2-abrams-sep-v2-tanks-fitted-with-trophy-aps-to-germany/

Does the new turret face armor have a name? And does the “cassette” seem thicker than the factory armor increase?

https://www.army.mil/article/237406/18th_mp_brigade_installs_arat_tiles

(Sorry cant figure picture thing out)

Kenaicop
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,426 posts
Armorama: 1,316 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 16, 2020 - 12:48 PM UTC
Top one is M1A2 SEP V3, second one has the Trophy Active Protective System, no idea what the bottom turret armor is actually called, but the side skirts have part of the TUSK armor package. I’m open to any and all corrections, lol
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 16, 2020 - 12:53 PM UTC
The trophy system itself does't make it a new version. Trophy can be fitted to any Abrams that has the proper mounts and is wired for it. The idea is to make it able to be put on older tanks as well as the latest version M1A2C/M1A2 Sep V3.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 16, 2020 - 01:21 PM UTC
I took a walkaround of the SEP3 at a GD refit facility. I don’t know about differences between the turret armor and cassette armor, but I can tell you the armor added to both sides of the mangler is seamless. I could not discern any welds. I posted a photo a few weeks ago, I think perhaps in James’ build log. According to the techs, a real quick ID feature from the side is the location of the newer, thicker tow cables.
razor500
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 6 posts
Armorama: 6 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 16, 2020 - 04:13 PM UTC
The bottom tank is set up for a TUSK install. The bracket are there, but the ERA blocks aren't installed.
JmeDubya
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 124 posts
Armorama: 124 posts
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2020 - 04:56 AM UTC
Thanks everyone. I’m going to have to start a new M1 shelf!

Gino, thats basically what I was asking. Is the trophy and armor upgrade to existing tanks going to have a real designation... (M1A2 sep V4, M1A2E1, etc) I saw a few of the other tracks at Defender Europe 20 didnt have the trophy fully installed and left what I assumed was the fittings and what I think is the reloader boxes and face armor on when APS itself wasnt... Looks like its a pretty major modification even if only partially installed.

https://www.bundeswehr.de/resource/image/156704/landscape_ratio16x9/3200/1800/d8453ea7a134c9f6bc7b3cbe2ba902fe/DE/gutachtenerstellung-slt70-r-messen.jpg

(Bonus for factory painted 3 tone nato camouflage Sep V2 with tan road wheels on a SLT70!)
Trisaw
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2020 - 05:43 AM UTC
Trophy Active Protection System is going to be installed on the M1A2 SEP V3. Version 3 has an improved FLIR for the Gunner's Primary Sight and CITV and Anti-IED warfare software and electronics.

US Army standard is M1A2s whereas the USMC standard is M1A1s (and the USMC is doing away with their M1A1s).

SEP V4 adds a laser warning system and more new digital electronics in addition to Third Generation FLIR.

The added front turret armor seems similar to the Leopard 2A4 Improved in that the Leopard 2A4 Improved adds a faceted sheet of armor on the front turret face.

Bear in mind that SEP V2 and V3 are performed in small batches of a few hundred tanks at a time. There are a few THOUSAND M1A2s in US Army service so V2 and V3 standard cannot rebuild them all before V4 standard starts. Yes, it is political and financial to keep the Lima, Ohio, Depot line open and in business.
Removed by original poster on 08/18/20 - 02:04:51 (GMT).
Kenaicop
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,426 posts
Armorama: 1,316 posts
Posted: Friday, August 21, 2020 - 04:23 AM UTC
More pics of the V3 if anyone is interested...

https://kdhnews.com/fort_hood_herald/across_the_fort/greywolf-unit-puts-new-tank-to-the-test-and-rounds-down-range/article_8be0797c-e198-11ea-a198-af9443d32c08.html
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Friday, August 21, 2020 - 05:03 AM UTC
More pics on DVIDS.

https://www.dvidshub.net/image/6318884/greywolf-sends-first-round-m1a2-sepv3-downrange
Trisaw
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 21, 2020 - 06:35 AM UTC
More info here on what makes the M1A2C (M1A2 SEP V3) different from the V2, V1, etc.

https://defence-blog.com/news/army/u-s-army-soldiers-fired-the-first-live-round-from-newest-version-of-the-abrams-tank.html
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Friday, August 21, 2020 - 06:58 AM UTC

Odd. Just like in the current Paladin thread, I photographed that exact vehicle days before the news release. GD located right next to BAE.

Note new climate control system.
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Friday, August 21, 2020 - 07:00 AM UTC
The "V3" in action on DVIDS.
https://www.dvidshub.net/video/763684/1st-cavalry-divisions-greywolf-brigade-first-receive-new-abrams-tank
LonCray
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 348 posts
Armorama: 256 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2020 - 01:06 AM UTC
Question for the nomenclature folks: Why do they keep the M1A2 numbering with SEP# after it? At what point is the vehicle sufficiently changed from the M1A1/A2 base to become M1A3? I know the military isn't always logical (else the M109A7 would have a completely different number as it isn't even the same hull as all previous M109's), but you'd think the folks building the tank would love to start marketing an M1A3 version.
Tank1812
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 886 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2020 - 01:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Question for the nomenclature folks: Why do they keep the M1A2 numbering with SEP# after it? At what point is the vehicle sufficiently changed from the M1A1/A2 base to become M1A3? I know the military isn't always logical (else the M109A7 would have a completely different number as it isn't even the same hull as all previous M109's), but you'd think the folks building the tank would love to start marketing an M1A3 version.

As with everything, it comes down to funding and which buckets they can and cannot pull from or so it has been explained to me.
Trisaw
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2020 - 06:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Good question that can be answered simply or complex.

Simple answer: It is about funding to upgrade the existing M1A2 tanks, and the M1A2 tanks aren't made anymore so the upgrades come in Batch Blocks of a few batches as the US Army and the Lima, Ohio tank plant cannot afford to upgrade ALL of the M1A2s at once.

Complex answer: The US Army has explored out to perhaps M1A4 as to what they want and dream of, even a 140mm gun or so. This was all done with planning and vision, but there has been many studies and concepts to replace the M1 Abrams. None came to be.

Replacing the interior equipment doesn't really change the outline of the M1A2 tank. The M1A2 adds the CITV and DU armor layer so that makes it different from the M1A1. SEP V3 improves the FLIR and Fire Controls and interior software and electronics, but the exterior remains basically the same. SEP V4 will again replace the FLIR and add Laser Warning Sensors, which may or may not slightly change the exterior outline.

SEP = System Enhancement Package and that means it literally enhances the existing system inside and not so much the tank's features like CITV and Depleted Uranium (DU) armor.

So what would make a M1A3? ALL of the M1A2s need to be upgraded to M1A3 standard, not just batches in blocks. And that commitment means a massive push by the US Army to do so, which can take years if not over a decade of upgrading out of M1A2 SEPs. The US Army and the Lima Tank Depot don't have the funds and the space to do this so they upgrade in Batch Blocks of V2, V3, V4 and so on to keep the plant open. Yes, it is funding and yes, it is somewhat political.

See, when it comes to the potential M1A3, chances are that they take certain M1A2s and upgrade them with features that distinguish it apart from the M1A2 somewhat drastically. Pecking order is that the M1A3s will go to the units that might see the most conflict; the elite tank units, and the US Army is such that M1A3s will be in hot demand by elite tank units and M1A3s need to go out to ALL tank units eventually.

M1A3 would require a feature that actually changes the capabilities and features of the tank, I would assume, instead of just improving the existing systems. TUSK is one feature, but TUSK is a kit that can be removed. Trophy APS is a kit too that can be removed. Tank Commander's CITV and DU armor cannot be removed and that separates it from the M1A1 Abrams that the US Marines use (or used to use).

The Crusader was supposed to replace the M109 but didn't, hence the upgrading to M109A7 because it uses the Bradley chassis and other features that differentiate it from the M109A6.

And it's also the Program Manager's decision too. There is more, but I won't bore you with the details. All of this can be found online or in print...you just have to go YEARS TO DECADES back to discover plans to replace the M1 Abrams BEFORE the USA went to war in 2001.

exgrunt
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 301 posts
Armorama: 301 posts
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2020 - 02:03 PM UTC
Given the "pivot" to going up against other adversaries, I'm surprised to still the factory churning out these new tanks in desert sand. You would think that green would be a bit more fashionable these days.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2020 - 02:25 PM UTC
They are either painted overall sand or NATO 3-tone camo depending on where the unit they are assigned to is regionally aligned (Europe/EurAsia or Middle East).
Trisaw
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2020 - 03:58 AM UTC
Here is a great video showing the new M1A2C being delivered to "Greywolf Brigade" at Fort Hood, Texas on July 23, 2020.

You can really see all angles of the M1A2 SEP V3 (M1A2C) in this video.

Towards the end of the video, you can see the rear of the M1A2 SEP V3. As Skipper said, the frontal (green) tow hooks are much larger as are their supporting hookup bars, but the rear also has these new track link mudflaps. The Low-Profile CROWS is another indication of the M1A2C, as is the added turret frontal armor. That is how you can tell a M1A2C (SEP V3) from a M1A2 SEP.

I've noticed that the M1A2C doesn't have any shallow V-hull Anti-IED armor underneath the driver's compartment, but it's really hard to see from the video if this is true or not.

The M1A2C tips in around 73-78 tons now depending on field kit and ammo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ9KvnnIuIc

And, yes, one headlight is out on one of the new M1A2Cs...
 _GOTOTOP