_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Mig Scratching Fluid - AK real colors combo
Golikell
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 914 posts
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2020 - 07:02 PM UTC
Brothers in plastic,

I am facing the following challenge: I want to use MiG's Acryllic scratching fluid, BUT the topcoat I intend to use, is AK's Real color (laquer based) paint. Some say it will work, others say it won't.
Any one of you with experience in the combination? What do you use to wet the brush/toothpick?
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2020 - 10:18 PM UTC
I understand it will work. When you wet with water the chipping fluid, it dissolves leaving the paint on top with no hold, so it goes with it -no matter if it is acrylic or lacquer.

As usual, making your own test is the safest route...
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2020 - 11:56 PM UTC
with enamel works but not so easy like acrylics ,i dont know with laquer,important is light coats because the water have to reach the chipping medium...do a test before
phil2015
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 502 posts
Armorama: 325 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2020 - 12:48 AM UTC
I'm new to Real Colors - have only a few and have only started using. *IF* they work like Tamiya in the ability to thin them with water, it should be fine. I thin my Tamiya paints with water if I'm applying them atop a chipping fluid and it works pretty well.

(Most of the time I thin Tamiya with lacquer and so far that's how I've used the AK real colors).

Others' advice to test on a spare piece of sprue first is, as always, good advice.
Golikell
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 914 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2020 - 06:36 AM UTC
Cheers amigos!

A friend of mine did a test today (he has more spare time than I have), and he says it can't be done in this combo. Oh wel, I'll have to buy some other paint for the top coat then
gaz_ewart
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 78 posts
Armorama: 74 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2020 - 07:37 AM UTC
A bit ago I made the Takom AML-90 painted it Iraqi.

I undercoated it with either Mig or Vallejo black undercoat, then sprayed Ammo chipping colour, quick satin varnish, hairspray then top coat of AK Real Colour CARC sand mixed with some Model Air to lighten it and thin it.

It chipped just fine using the hairspray method. In fact I was more than pleased with it.
 _GOTOTOP