_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Jagdtiger Comparison?
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,083 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2020 - 04:08 AM UTC
Hi All,

I have the old Tamiya Jagtiger, kit 6285, that I bought from someone who was reducing their stash, quite some years ago now. I ended up getting a number of aftermarket items, including tracks, photo etch fenders, etc. I see that Takom has a relatively new Jagfdtiger, in their Blitz series. This AFV is huge, but it seems to me to be a pretty simple vehicle, in terms of detail. Has anyone looked at these 2 kits and determined if the Takom is better, in terms of detail and/or accuracy? i haven't yet completed the build of my Tamiya kit, though I have put some bits and pieces together. The Tamiya also has nice surface detail, I would guess the surface is intended to look like cold rolled steel. I wonder if the Takom has similar detail. Thoughts?
Ringleheim
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 184 posts
Armorama: 183 posts
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2020 - 06:56 AM UTC
6285 that you reference is the Dragon kit, not Tamiya.

So now I'm wondering if you are referencing Tamiya or Dragon.

I just finished making the new Takom Jagdtiger, and yes, it has a lot of rolled steel texture on the gun mantlet and the front armor fascia of the turret. It also has photo etched screens on the engine deck, nicely textured tool clamps for the pioneer tools, petite spare track holding hooks for the turret sides, and so on.

In general, it goes together very well and is a nice, modern, well detailed kit of a Jagdtiger.

I can't imagine the old Tamiya kit is as good, but I'm not sure.

Dragon 6285 is a different story. I suspect it holds up pretty well against the new Takom kit, but I have never built that nor do I own it for comparison.

RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2020 - 08:16 AM UTC
The old Tamiya kit (1970s?) was from before it was widely appreciated that the hull was longer than that of a Tiger B, so the dimensions are pretty dodgy.

Dragon’s (reboxed by Revell) is a lot better but the superstructure sides are afflicted by a hugely overdone gouged texture which really needs filling and sanding. The superstructure rear plate interlocks are the wrong size too and the barrel is too short at the breech end.

I’ve not seen Takom’s but David Coyne did a useful blog on Tracklink about it in which he also commented on the Dragon kits.

Tamiya’s new kit is no doubt a lot better than its original kit but I’ve not examined mine yet as I still have Dragon ones to finish.
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2020 - 10:13 AM UTC
Guys, I am SUCH an idiot. I'm doing a lot of airplanes at the same time, and have Tamiya on the brain. You are correct, the 6285 kit I'm referring to is a Dragon. Here I go and ask for help, and I'm giving out bum dope. Sorry to confuse you. Thanks for the comments thus far.

I hadn't looked inside the kit box before posting, and it turns out that I've actually done a lot more on the kit in terms of building than I remember. The Fruil tracks are done, all of the interior (it's really just the gun mount) is completed, including painting and weathering, the rear deck, including photo etch screens are in place, the spare track mounting brackets are glued on, the road wheels and sprockets are complete. So the build is well along. And, the only aftermarket I have are the tracks and a set of Aber fenders and side skirts, not yet built up. I guess the main reason for my question about comparison is that this particular AFV is not high on my interest list, and I wouldn't want to build more than one, so I'm just looking for the best of the available kits. Cost isn't an issue, it's more that I don't want to spend the time on doing a kit that may clearly have a better option available.

It seems I may have done this to myself with other AFVs also (buying kits which now have superior alternatives available). Specifically, I'm talking about the Italeri T-34/85 with interior, and the Trumpeter KV-1 Model 1942 Lightweight Cast Tank. Both of these, I think, have better options out there now, the KV-1 in a Tamiya kit, and I'm pretty sure there is a better the T-34/85 now.
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2020 - 03:32 PM UTC
I know this is off topic. Would you be willing to sell the original side skirts? I have an old Dragon Jagdtiger in need of side skirts.
I also have the Takom Blitz kit. It looks good at first glance. It has a two piece barrel so I bought a turned aluminum barrel. I haven't built it yet but it really looks like a nice kit. Thanks in advance.
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 29, 2020 - 10:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

6285 that you reference is the Dragon kit, not Tamiya.

So now I'm wondering if you are referencing Tamiya or Dragon.

I just finished making the new Takom Jagdtiger, and yes, it has a lot of rolled steel texture on the gun mantlet and the front armor fascia of the turret. It also has photo etched screens on the engine deck, nicely textured tool clamps for the pioneer tools, petite spare track holding hooks for the turret sides, and so on.

In general, it goes together very well and is a nice, modern, well detailed kit of a Jagdtiger.

I can't imagine the old Tamiya kit is as good, but I'm not sure.

Dragon 6285 is a different story. I suspect it holds up pretty well against the new Takom kit, but I have never built that nor do I own it for comparison.

I had that Dragon kit, and rushed out and bought the Tamiya kit when it came out. I commented on one board that I couldn't see how the Tamiya could possibly be better than the Dragon kit, and my head was promptly bitten off! The Tamiya kit is nice, and would be known as a great kit if nobody else did one. Have not see the Takom kit, so can't say anything.
gary
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 30, 2020 - 06:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I know this is off topic. Would you be willing to sell the original side skirts? I have an old Dragon Jagdtiger in need of side skirts.
I also have the Takom Blitz kit. It looks good at first glance. It has a two piece barrel so I bought a turned aluminum barrel. I haven't built it yet but it really looks like a nice kit. Thanks in advance.

I guess no answer is a negatori...Huh?
Floridabucco
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 117 posts
Armorama: 107 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 30, 2020 - 06:33 AM UTC
Hello,

Are you sure that there is not a metal barrel, in the Kit?

Mine came with a metal barrel, it was taped to the bottom of the box.

Thanks,
Eric
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 30, 2020 - 06:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello,

Are you sure that there is not a metal barrel, in the Kit?

Mine came with a metal barrel, it was taped to the bottom of the box.

Thanks,
Eric

There wasn't one in my kit. I ordered an RB Model barrel from eBay. I am going to go right now and check the box again.

There was was no metal barrel in my kit. Maybe only first run kits had them. No mention on the box or in the instructions of a metal barrel.
Floridabucco
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 117 posts
Armorama: 107 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 30, 2020 - 08:43 AM UTC
Wow thats weird, maybe you are correct in that the first batch had them, I got mine from China quite awhile ago...but have not gotten around to building it. My directions do not show a metal barrel either.

In addition I also got a pretty big bottle of German Tri Camo wash....but the label is all in Chinese, so no idea who made it.

Thanks,
Eric
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 30, 2020 - 09:28 AM UTC
When Dragon started reissuing some of their kits they left out a lot of the extras such as metal barrels and Magic Tracks (switching those for DS). To make up for that, they raised prices.
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 30, 2020 - 02:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow thats weird, maybe you are correct in that the first batch had them, I got mine from China quite awhile ago...but have not gotten around to building it. My directions do not show a metal barrel either.

In addition I also got a pretty big bottle of German Tri Camo wash....but the label is all in Chinese, so no idea who made it.

Thanks,

You got lucky then. I got mine from HLJ in Japan. It looks like a fun build.
Eric

cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2020 - 12:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Interesting to know about the barrel, if I decide to go with the Takom kit. My Dragon kit, which, again, was purchased from another modeler as part of his stash reduction, came with an aluminum barrel, which is a very nice touch!

Jeff, take a look at your messages regarding your question about the fenders.
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2020 - 08:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Interesting to know about the barrel, if I decide to go with the Takom kit. My Dragon kit, which, again, was purchased from another modeler as part of his stash reduction, came with an aluminum barrel, which is a very nice touch!

Jeff, take a look at your messages regarding your question about the fenders.

I have the Takom "Blitz" kit of the Porsche Jagdtiger. I am impressed with the way they did the tracks--instead of attaching the individual "dog-bone" connectors alongside the narrow links, the narrow links, the dog-bones and the track pins are all molded together as a single piece, and the pins are simply trapped between top and bottom parts of the wide links. They are workable, and much easier for fumbly fingers!
The original Dragon version of the early track was a fiddly nightmare with five pieces for each pair of links, though the Neo-Smart Kit re-release of their Porsche Jagdtiger features link and length tracks, which look simpler.
The Takom kit has excellent surface detail, and the plastic release clips on the vehicle tools are as fine as photo etch. The tow cables are molded as solid styrene parts. The kit correctly includes the jack and jack block (dropped on later versions).
The engine deck has a couple of possible issues. The base for the antiaircraft MG pedestal is molded onto the engine deck door just right of the ventilators (as seen on the former Aberdeen vehicle), but this was not the only position used for this part, and it's not clear if the early Porsche chassis vehicles had it at all. Chiseling the base plate off and sanding it smooth is feasible, but it would be a pain. And there is no blanking plate for the circular air intake just aft of the engine deck door. This port was originally for the snorkel, but after that was cancelled, an armored disk cover was added on King Tigers, and it is present on late Jagdtigers, Not sure if the Porsche vehicles had this feature or not. Photo etch engine deck screens are included. The gun barrel, as mentioned is molded in halves, but that doesn't bother me.
The weld joint around the front deck is a bit deep, but I'm not certain this is wrong. The kit does not feature Zimmerit, though this is correct for Vehicles 314 and 115 of the 653rd Schwere Panzerjager Abteilung. The other eight vehicles had the coating.
 _GOTOTOP