_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Building a Display Base
errains
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 362 posts
Armorama: 350 posts
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2020 - 01:26 AM UTC
Hello Everyone!

I was asked by a few members here to post how I built my display base for the recently completed M6A1 Bearhound.

For me building a display base is absolutely essential. The way I see it is after spending hundreds of hours of building and painting your work of art it needs to be in a frame.

...So lets get started. The display base will be for my just finished Churchill 3in Gun Carrier by AFV Club.

1) I like to use picture frames as the base element and then build the ground work with in the frame. I use plastic frames that I buy from Walmart here in the states but any frame you like will work. The one I use are made for multiple pictures within the same frame. I cut out the dividing element which is easy since its only plastic.

2) Next I add a wood element made from bass wood. It is cut to fit within the frame and can be as high you like.

3) For the ground base I use styrofoam. Any type will work. I use packing styrofome from various things that I've bought. I cut two elements to size. One fits inside the bass wood frame I made previously and the other will sit on to of the bass wood frame.

Now we'll bring all the elements together...

4) Start working out how you wish to display your model. Most people like to have a drawing to work from. I personally do not do this as it makes me feel more flexible in positioning element within the display. In the pictures below I liked the first two the best but after showing them to a few fellow modelers I end up using the last one. Point being don't fall in love with one so much that your not willing to change it for a better idea.

5) Next I started building up the landscape using more styrofoam. I glue them in place using wood glue. Then carve them into various shapes.

Here is the end result with all the major elements and the general layout of the display. Next I'll start building up the ground work

Check back next week for the exciting start of the ground work!
kinmanb
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 52 posts
Armorama: 49 posts
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2020 - 03:07 AM UTC
Great walkthrough of the process. I use the pink insulation board material, Home Depot sells the square for about $5. I find it easier to work with and less messy than styrofoam.

Will follow.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2020 - 03:36 AM UTC
I've also just recently tried the Home Depot brand pink foam - comes in a 2' x 2' square about an inch thick. If it's the same formulation in Canada as the US, it's really dense foam - tough to cut easily, but also doesn't leave thousands of statically-charged bits that stick to EVERYTHING!
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2020 - 06:44 AM UTC
Thanks Eric for doing this "how to" project. I've got my own techniques but you never know what you can "borrow" from somebody and make it your own.
BTW, out of 3 beer ratings for your Bearhound !
A great way to clean out your spares box and make a great looking beast !
Thanks for sharing and will follow further installments closely!
Tank1812
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 886 posts
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2020 - 09:18 PM UTC
Very interesting, thanks for sharing. Look forward to seeing where this goes.
GregCopplin
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 212 posts
Armorama: 201 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2020 - 12:44 AM UTC
After you carve the design of the layout are you going to seal it in before adding any texture?
errains
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2020 - 08:15 AM UTC
Thanks Everyone for Stopping In and Leaving Your Comments!

Since Greg asked, here is where I'm at on the base as of today. Once all the carving is finished and them thousands of statically-charged bits are sucked-up with the Dustbuster. I then apply two or three heavy coats of Mod Podge, two coat this time to strengthen the styrofoam and prevents warping. Once this drys thoroughly I'll start adding the groundwork.

GregCopplin
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2020 - 03:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Everyone for Stopping In and Leaving Your Comments!

Since Greg asked, here is where I'm at on the base as of today. Once all the carving is finished and them thousands of statically-charged bits are sucked-up with the Dustbuster. I then apply two or three heavy coats of Mod Podge, two coat this time to strengthen the styrofoam and prevents warping. Once this drys thoroughly I'll start adding the groundwork.

Did you take the styrofoam off the base individually and spray it or did you just
Spray it in place with the mod podge?
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2020 - 10:57 PM UTC
Nice work on the Churchill Eric , beauty tutorial on your ground work also !!
errains
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2020 - 12:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice work on the Churchill Eric , beauty tutorial on your ground work also !!

Thanks Cheyenne! Not quit up the par with your works of art, but then i gives me something to strive for
errains
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2020 - 12:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Did you take the styrofoam off the base individually and spray it or did you just Spray it in place with the mod podge?

Not sure if I totally understand the question Greg. All the styrofoam elements are glued together with PVA. After 24 hours I then apply the Mod Podge. The Mod Padge is brushed on as its way to thick to shoot through an airbrush.

Hope that answers your question. If not let me know and I'll try again.
GregCopplin
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2020 - 08:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Did you take the styrofoam off the base individually and spray it or did you just Spray it in place with the mod podge?

Not sure if I totally understand the question Greg. All the styrofoam elements are glued together with PVA. After 24 hours I then apply the Mod Podge. The Mod Padge is brushed on as its way to thick to shoot through an airbrush.

Hope that answers your question. If not let me know and I'll try again.

Nope that answers my question, thank you!
errains
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 07, 2020 - 09:16 AM UTC
Hello Everyone and Happy Labor Day here in the States!

Made a little more progress on the base.

First up is I gave it an over all thin coat of Aves ClayShay. This material is like if paper mache and plaster had a baby. Mix with water and I add some PVA for good measure. This further straightens the styrofoam and will help additional layers of ClayShay stick to the styrofoam.

Next I started on the trench elements. I used mostly bass wood that I had in my wood pile. These elements are glued in place using PVA. I used several different patterns for the wood structures to add visual interest.

That's it for this week Thanks for Stopping in. If you have any questions please feel free to ask!
 _GOTOTOP